Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

50p a pane of glass

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It is a good job I am getting out of this game then isn't it boarcity
are you really? that was perceptive of me ..... youll be a bookies runner before you are thru [dont fight it if offered ]

Wow mystic boar .Think you should also change your job you seem to know what everyone else is going to be doing
"fake it till you can make it" eh , hm mmmm, thats a thought

Reckon its impossible to price a job like this.

Window type, frame type, how good a condition the frame is, access, is it near any other jobs or a farm house that's closest neighbour is 10 miles away (I have a few like this) etc etc.

All this and more needs to be taken into account.

when u in the big smoke like me @Diwrnach there is houses everywhere u go i dont really venture into countryside :)

i price up a job on how long it takes

i do 2 houses next door to each other ones 8 ones 14

one always has locked gate and extenson plus skylight other one has no gate no extension

Put an ad in the New York Times /emoticons/wink.png

I've actually seen ads for Mystics offering telephone life advice, someone must call them

becoming a mystic , a paid mystic - certainly id have to fake it at first
i was quite good at drama at primary school ,so iv done the legwork as they say
"fake it at first" and what then? do like the rest of the mystics and fake it some more? lol

when u in the big smoke like me @Diwrnach there is houses everywhere u go i dont really venture into countryside /emoticons/smile.png
i price up a job on how long it takes

i do 2 houses next door to each other ones 8 ones 14

one always has locked gate and extenson plus skylight other one has no gate no extension
I have quite few houses next door to each other or opposite, quite a lot of houses I don't need to move the pick up, but I do also have a selection of very large country homes miles from anywhere, I am in the Cotswolds so not a really built up area, lots of small towns villages and countryside.

"fake it at first" and what then? do like the rest of the mystics and fake it some more? lol
i couldnt do it- altho iv already thought of my tag line "the window cleaner predicts"

iv thought it over and the faking would get to me -besides id forget what i told somebody first time out the grid when they rang me back up for seconds

HOWEVER , this job does leave you very perceptive and superstitious . an example being i never at anytime say the word r.a.i.n. as if i do it surely will r.a.i.n

a lad who works for me recently said to me "oh,im never ill" a day later he was off work with a mysterious gutsache that lasted 24hours .

Last edited:
Firstly, I don't give a quote without seeing the job. At the present time, when quoting, I start at £1 per window, and then adjust from there. For example, a house has fifteen windows, so that's £15, so now look at the size, style and quality and make adjustments up or down. How long will it take to do. After that access (very important), are there gates to be unlocked etc.

Like I say I am not going to do it , it was just a tread I thought I would put up due to how the Americans price . And as smurf pointed out they quote on forms and yes agree they have different style window but mine was really based on the old style council house windows . As some of the new house I clean are smaller windows .

But I agree with you all £1 per window and adapt

I charge per pane and for each time i have to go up a ladder 1 quid (ten times up the ladder = 10 quid xtra). i dont give a price over the phone or mail but only in person that way i can give the exact price as the custies dont no how to count panes.

If over a cetain price example 50 quid then i adjust acording to the hours i wil use and then top of with adding 20-30quid just to try my luck /emoticons/biggrin.png

Ps dont use £ but write to make sence for you guys :)

I ask on the doorstep when they want quote, is it same at back, no patio window, conservatory, extension? They usually say 'no' and there is! Definately Worth looking and eye up placements/angles

Placements and angles??

Placement is on the floor near a window and angle is upwards lol

I look at a job and it is purely on how long i reckon it would take me

Average 3 bed 15 minutes 12 quid minimum

Why would you alter your price according to an angle??

Just turn up and clean it somehow..ladder..pole and 0°..pole and wagtail. .rag..all the same just need to think how long it would take me

At first I tried to be fair and quote per sqm, but then I realised I'd spend more time quoting than cleaning! Not only that, but customers were getting confused and just wanted a quick straight forward price. I now just have a flat rate for the type of property, ie. bungalow, house and so on and add on a bit more for a conservatory. Some get good value, some don't, but it's far simpler, I can quote over the phone and I just assume overall it'll average out whether the property is big or small in comparison to others I do that pay the same.

I quote a lot with google maps and streetview but i know most roads round here so can do it quite accurately and connys etc is when i start looking at the job in person as could be a mini one which takes no time at all or a full lenght one wuich is worth a lot more

Dunno why I haven't thought of using streetview before, good shout daveyboy. I prefer to have an upfront price also because I am awful at the sales side of things. If I go and quote in person, we'll have a chat, I'll think oh what a nice chap/lady and then start reducing my prices and underselling myself. I can't do that so much with fixed prices, although I still do half the time. Doh! :fubar:

At first I tried to be fair and quote per sqm, but then I realised I'd spend more time quoting than cleaning! Not only that, but customers were getting confused and just wanted a quick straight forward price. I now just have a flat rate for the type of property, ie. bungalow, house and so on and add on a bit more for a conservatory. Some get good value, some don't, but it's far simpler, I can quote over the phone and I just assume overall it'll average out whether the property is big or small in comparison to others I do that pay the same.
before i started out i thought of doing it this way as it would be far more easy, but i was very affraid to burn my a*s going to a house with 2 hours of Work and only getting paid for one.

How do you avertise your prices then?

Yeah that can happen, but I allow myself plenty of time on all jobs anyway. If its a slightly larger house then I just faff less and work faster, if its got less windows than normal I faff more and work slower /emoticons/wink.png I'm sure it'll average out by the time my rounds full... Touch wood /emoticons/biggrin.png

yep cheapie defo likes to walk around about three times scratching his head so he prefers no one in and post the price through..

you can use a pound a window as a guide but then up or down depending on access and period of clean etc..

cheapie not happy as he has to go miles out of his way to do one £8 bungalow tomorrow...its only the second clean and I havent got it slotted in yet...

I was there on thursday but couldnt be bothered to call...so ..my fault..

still no ladders..so as fast as can be..../emoticons/biggrin.png

Back