Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

ace3 - Starting from scratch - WFP Blog

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I painted my van floor with bitumen, then put ply over the top, ive had to replace the ply twice because it just ends up getting wet and soggy no matter what. It would be better just to forget the ply, rubber matting is better.

You can fibreglass over the ply though

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got ply lining in my van. I painted protektacote or however you spell it on the ply and siliconed around the gaps. I don't really get all this waterproofing the floor business because if you've got leaks then fix them! The only water that gets on my floor is from wet brushes dripping down after use.

I would remove the ply floor then get some wooden battens screwed on around the edges. Then fiberglass and top coat over the floor and battens to make a waterproof contained 'tub'. We have done this with son's van. It has a side loading door but any split water (accidents happen - my favourite is overfilling the tank,) can only exit through the back doors.

We didn't do this will his previous van and I flooded the foot wells out on numerous occasions overfilling the tank.

I used garage floor paint on my ply floor/walls. I agree that the system shouldn't have any leaks as it WILL find its way under the ply somehow. I did 4 coats on all sides on every piece and it's still got wet. If I was to do it again I would do what Spruce suggests. 1" batten all around the perimeter, bead seal with upol tiger seam sealant (awesome stuff!) then fibreglass over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I've got ply lining in my van. I painted protektacote or however you spell it on the ply and siliconed around the gaps. I don't really get all this waterproofing the floor business because if you've got leaks then fix them! The only water that gets on my floor is from wet brushes dripping down after use.

Lol mines quite often like a paddling pool. Backpack tipping up, hose reel leaking, brush dripping, bottles of chemicals flying about. When my R.O fills my tank and overflows all night. 

Hey guys thanks for your help, got my system fitted today by pure freedom in Grimsby.

Nearly 7 hours driving today but I feel that it was well worth it!

Ive uploaded some pics.

love the fact that I have a separate valve to the side of the tank which will allow me to fill up some of the barrels I have incase I find that 350l of pure isn't enough.

Also really looking forward to using the electric hosereel from purefreedom, Andy told me today that I am the first customer to have the finished model installed in a van, certainly looked good during the demo, I hope it stands the test of time!

thanks again for all of your help throughout! 

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

You've spent a lot of money setting up, are you ditching the fire service?

No mate definitely not, I'll do this on my off days.

I needed a new vehicle anyway and I didn't find lugging 25litre barrels of water to and from the car much fun to be honest.

It just made sense for me to buy a nice van which would still make commuting to work easy(air con, Bluetooth, sat nav) and also allow me to get a decent wfp system fitted at the same time.

ive already made the money back on the trolley, 350 ro system and pole which I bought originally. Now I'll be motivated to get my money back on the £3k van mount system and start turning a profit.

When you add it all up it does seem a lot of money but I just see that money spent as the best way of helping myself to grow this into a successful business....I'll definitely be more confident turning up to work on the £40/£50 priced jobs I've got and more importantly I feel that I can now go to much bigger houses and Canvass them methodically.

Hopefully the investment will pay off in the long run, in fact I know it will as I won't rest until it does, Im stubborn like that.

How will it be a successful business if you're going to be running it side by side with another job? It's only ever going to be a side line?

How will it be a successful business if you're going to be running it side by side with another job? It's only ever going to be a side line?

All I can really say to that Tuffers is that what I class as a successful business for myself could be (and judging from your response, is) totally different to what you would class as a successful business for yourself.

Quite simply though I will class my window cleaning business as a success when I eventually turn a regular profit and can say that I built a profitable business myself whilst holding down a full time job.

Window cleaning only ever being a "side line" due to the fact that I'm a full time fire fighter doesn't mean (in my opinion) that I can't class it one day as a business I grew successfully. 

Nice pics Ace, I hope you'll be turning a nice profit by Xmas.

It does look as if your van isn't lined with or painted with waterproof material of some sort - is there a reason for this?

I'm in the process of getting a quote from the same company so it's good to see one of their 'finished products'.

I understand that the window cleaning is a side business and it's a good decision IMO.

i have my reel in an old dog bed, full plastic floor one,     cut away at sides for reel handle etc, brush heads hang over this,    any excess water drips down.

Peugeot partner mate

thats quite a small van and yet fits nicely with plenty of room to spare. probably similar size to my Doblo so thats good to hear...

Hey guys thanks for your help, got my system fitted today by pure freedom in Grimsby.

Nearly 7 hours driving today but I feel that it was well worth it!

thats quite a distance... even further for me - about 5 hours each way... :1f61e:

£500 FOR A REEL, how old are you ace,         Its all part of the FUN reeling it in,    get your heart pumping, LOL, I PARK UP AND GO AS FAR AWAY AS POSS.  THEN drag the reel out, get as many cleaned  in that street  so i just reel it in once.

Its the finished job the customers need to see.

Make sure you check your TDS, with having a DI vessel as your purifier,   I have picked up 3 new customers because there windy is leaving marks on the glass when the windows are dry.      Must be his water purity.    

£500 for reel that's a lot off coin
I know there is a lot of guys who swear by the electric reels but it would break my heart parting with that much money

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Back