Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Adapt IBC tank for sub pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dabber

Hi

Need to cut a larger hole in my IBC tank to get a sub pump in.Would I need to empty the tank before doing this ?

Ive purchased a transfer kit which includes a sub pump,transfer hose and a trigger from Pure Freedom.If there’s anything else I need to be aware of any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Dabber

Hi, if the lid is too small on your ibc to get your pump in then a way my friend did it was to remove the lid then cut slits radiating out from the opening only a wide as you need to fit the pump through. Bend the prices in while you push the pump through into the tank. Cut a hole in the lid the same size as your hose then put the lid on with the hose through it and you can screw the lid on to hold all the peices together.

Hi

Thanks for that,Ive seen a few videos similar to that but one post stated that you should empty the tank before doing this due to debris falling whilst cutting.

Dont really want to empty the tank unless absolutely necessary.

cheers

Dabber

Hi

Thanks for that,Ive seen a few videos similar to that but one post stated that you should empty the tank before doing this due to debris falling whilst cutting.

Dont really want to empty the tank unless absolutely necessary.

cheers

Dabber
That's only an issue if you're using a saw. If you use a Stanley knife then there will be no debris. Obviously drill a hole in the lid somewhere else so the bits don't fall in the water.

I used a red hot knife to cut a slot for it to go in, took no time and if you are careful no debris. I did not do this to the lid section but a convenient area on the top. I cut 3 sections of an rectangle. It works well. Used camp stove to heat knife.

Don’t know how easy it is to access the top of your tank or even if this is possible with your kit, but I found that I could unscrew the elbow the hose attaches to, off my sub pump. Then the pump would go through the opening in my tank. Once in, I then fed the elbow with the hose already attached through the opening and refitted it. It was a bit fiddly but it was possible.

That's only an issue if you're using a saw. If you use a Stanley knife then there will be no debris. Obviously drill a hole in the lid somewhere else so the bits don't fall in the water.
I tried with a stanly knife, the plastic was to thick and kept breaking the blade.

As mentioned, I laid a plastic sheet in the tank, drilled several big holes all around the original hole and used a hack saw blade to join the holes.

I no longer use the lid, I lay a flat price of ply right across the tank covering the hole. It’s handy for storage etc

I tried with a stanly knife, the plastic was to thick and kept breaking the blade.

As mentioned, I laid a plastic sheet in the tank, drilled several big holes all around the original hole and used a hack saw blade to join the holes.

I no longer use the lid, I lay a flat price of ply right across the tank covering the hole. It’s handy for storage etc.
Im surprised at that, I've had no trouble before cutting up ibc tanks with a knife or even scissors before when I've been chopping them up so I can get them in the car to take to the tip. It must be thicker around the lid. If so tin snips would probably do it.

Same here. I used the biggest pond pump that would fit through hole. It takes 30 seconds to fill 25 litre barrel. I use 1 inch hose connected to pure freedom petrol trigger.

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing?

Think it’s sorted now my brother in law suggests using a jig saw with a blade that only cuts on the up side so will see how that goes.

Thanks agin for all the advice.

Dabber

Why not buy the larger hole diameter IBC off Gumtrre for £30? Drop in a 150 LPM dirty water transfer pump from Screwfix for £65 and you're sorted. 500 L transfer in 5 min. 
I couldn't find one in a 600l all the 600l ICC had small lids.

cut in a V shape as in photo then a bit of gaffer tape I used a old blunt saw to do mine.

IMG_0486.JPG

Back