Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Add on idea

WCF

Help Support WCF:

good thing about chimney sweeping is that its repeat business (yearly) . So you build a customer base . £50 per sweep ....not too shabby .

View attachment 3508 in my area iv seen at least 3 new start up sweeps in the last year . before that i saw just one old sweep type ^^^^^ whos been around forever . the new guys have brand new vans ,goin for the jugular !

whereas old lag in foto above had a Maestro van until recently . iv jus remembered mr.maestro once accused me of throwing a stone at his van , i was out with my kids at a local river and he drove by and screeched to a halt,then challenged me .

Last edited:
I remember an old builder telling me that he was also a chimney sweep. He said the money was really good ashe is the only one in the area. I think that may have changed recently as I am seeing vans around here all the time now. Theres a lot of courses available and I think they are churning out sweeps all the time.

View attachment 5519 in my area iv seen at least 3 new start up sweeps in the last year . before that i saw just one old sweep type ^^^^^ whos been around forever . the new guys have brand new vans ,goin for the jugular !
whereas old lag in foto above had a Maestro van until recently . iv jus remembered mr.maestro once accused me of throwing a stone at his van , i was out with my kids at a local river and he drove by and screeched to a halt,then challenged me .
Love to know what happened next /emoticons/biggrin.png

Talking of stories of dysfunctional windies where the hell is cheapie??

And what happened next Boar?

Love to know what happened next /emoticons/biggrin.png
a real unpleasant fellow ,he wouldnt apologize . mite be worth callin him up ,praps at 1 a.m. hey remember me, i threw stones at your van down by ufford river . in 2004

The going rate is £40 to £50 per sweep. We used to provide this as an add on to our window cleaning business but after my father died I stopped it and gave away the kit. Its no fun being covered in soot, racing from job to job, customers forgetting you are coming and missing your appointment, brushes getting stuck, stack full of nests (My record was 26 black bags out of one stack), chimney pots loose that come crashing down the roof and smashing on the ground, customers burning wet wood against your good advice and tarring up your their flue causing a huge fire risk, To sum up, the season is very short and very crazy. The correct vacuum can cost about £800 and they go wrong when you are busy (I had one pack up with a hearth full of soot and a white carpet to cross)

It is not easy money. My father swept them for years and I just didn't want to mess around with it.

cheapie gonna stick to windas:D...

.great vid smurf enjoyed that the sweep was a real professional, cheapie remembers running up the ladder to check a chimney stack and as he placed his ladder on a large chunk of mortar fell just feet from the custys car.so he did a runner

..cheapie not doing that again....leaving that to frank... /emoticons/biggrin.png

cheapie fully recharged after sitting for a week doing naff all..and a new keyboard on my lappy top means i now have CAPITOLS AT LAST.....

cheapie gonna stick to windas:D...
.great vid smurf enjoyed that the sweep was a real professional, cheapie remembers running up the ladder to check a chimney stack and as he placed his ladder on a large chunk of mortar fell just feet from the custys car.so he did a runner

..cheapie not doing that again....leaving that to frank... /emoticons/biggrin.png

cheapie fully recharged after sitting for a week doing naff all..and a new keyboard on my lappy top means i now have CAPITOLS AT LAST.....
Use a capital I when referring to yourself /emoticons/tongue.png/emoticons/biggrin.png

yep about time I did that....hey I did it....best fiver ever my new keyboard.../emoticons/biggrin.png

been busy buying loads of new bits....just off to get some more off ebay....i wont tell anyone i only have forty pounds left in my bank account and one hundred and fifty due to the credit cards soon....:rolleyes:

well....i paid too much off a credit card.....and the wife points out we have no money after you have two weeks off for xmas....i did not have two weeks off.......

i finished on the monday and on the tuesday took them all for a family meal which is a bit of an ordeal not a holiday...xmas eve wrapping loadsa pressies...not a holiday....xmas day visit to the parents and meet the strange relations not a holiday....

my holiday started and always does on boxing day...which i believe was a week last friday...so one week on holiday....

ahh but the beauty of this job is.....i will soon have some money....just had an email to say some is on its way ...and i got a tenner off my old dears today ...bless em.....and all i did was spend time trying to dodge em so i could have an early finish...apparently a good day for me....well most were out...but i wont say where they had been.....but i think black is back in fashion..:hiding:

Last edited by a moderator:
At least you were not invited in for a cuppa then sat in the old mans chair that passed away sat in it the day before like me. I nearly spat a mouthful of tea out all over the old dear when she told me /emoticons/biggrin.png

Thanks for putting me off chimney cleaning, I had a great laugh at some of the funny comments. Stick to the window cleaning then.

Back