Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice for a newbie

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JB3009

Hi, I am looking for some advice for someone new to this.  What are the best cloths to use for cleaning UPVC frames?  Will Microfibre cloths with soap and water give a good clean without damaging the frames?  For drying off I was thinking microfibre drying towels, such as those used for drying cars off?  I want to make sure i dont scratch/lose the shine on the frames. Does normal washing up liquid work best for cleaning in warm water?

Many thanks,

If you are just giving a quick clean what you mentioned will do a good job if you are looking to remove grime off the sill use some pink stuff on a cleaning sponge or magic sponge and wipe down. You’ll find a way you prefer through time though we all have slightly different ways of working but as long as it looks a good job you can walk away happy.

I generally just give a quick wipe with a sill cloth for a regular clean, as mentioned pink stuff or unger rubout, even basic PVC cleaner can give a deeper clean.

But you have to get a ballance between the level of work and time you spend vs what your customer will be willing to pay.

With that in mind I wouldn't bother drying pvc with a cloth, if its just a wipe down with sill damp cloth.

Hi, I am looking for some advice for someone new to this.  What are the best cloths to use for cleaning UPVC frames?  Will Microfibre cloths with soap and water give a good clean without damaging the frames?  For drying off I was thinking microfibre drying towels, such as those used for drying cars off?  I want to make sure i dont scratch/lose the shine on the frames. Does normal washing up liquid work best for cleaning in warm water?

Many thanks,

Don't get ripped off buying microfibre cloths, 

Get some basic pre washed pre shrunk scrims. Microfibre will not last long and it bobbles up and traps grit etc 

Back