Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Linting cloths

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sjohnno

Hello apologies if this is posted elsewhere as cannot find it for life of me.

Problem, recently all my cloths have started leaving lint on the windows, this is all cloths, WCW microfibres/fishscale/Wilko glass cloths. I hadn’t changed my cleaning routine but have now tried everything. Hotter washes, longer washes, less/no/more liquid detergent nothing seems to be working. Is it my washing machine or the cloths themselves. In 12 years it’s first time it’s happened regularly. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers

Sean

Double check your laundry liquid - it seems like lots have suddenly added softener in which microfibres don't like.
It could be the manufacturers have changed something due to marketing them as low temp so saving energy.

They do tend to start breaking down when they get old scrims are the worst but microfibres will also do it . Don’t use soft rinse on them either

Thankyou for reply, some are new and some are slightly old will that be a problem if mixed in a wash? As both are linting. Never have soft rinsed (fabric softener?) them only very small splash of liquid detergent.

Double check your laundry liquid - it seems like lots have suddenly added softener in which microfibres don't like.
It could be the manufacturers have changed something due to marketing them as low temp so saving energy.
Will do that thankyou, have recently been trying trying no detergent which helped a little but the cloths “skidded” on glass

Have you tried handwashing them? I don't use mine very often and it's usually only after something like a f/s/g or render job and I need to give the windows a quick clean so I trad them. Then I just rinse them in the sink and then let them soak a while in warm/hot soapy water, rinse and dry and I've still got microfibres that are literally years old and still going strong

I have had microfibres years and not had this problem. I wash them on their own at 40 degrees with a small amount of washing powder.
The little sill cloths that are microfibre are a different microfibre to the large unger type ones.
Again I only wash them altogether and separate from the other type. Are you sure you haven’t had something in the washer before that’s caused this.
It does seem unusual, just a thought.

try to not to use the clothon the glass at all. It's time consuming, uneconomical, and annoying. I know it's like a "tradition" to have the rug over your shoulder, and wipe the sides or missed parts, but learn not to use the cloth on the glass. Of course you have to wipe the frame and sills. I do traditional cleaning only 3 years, I started from the beginning to learn cleaning without touching the glass. Now I do not touch it at all, even when using a pole attached to the squeegee...

Latest Posts

Back