Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pressure Washer choice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Truckcab79

Hello folks. First post here. And apologies that it’s a much asked question but posting again as I appreciate that the market changes and the historical answers may no longer be accurate. 

Firstly I’m not a ‘cleaner’ as such. My main trade is landscaper, but I also fit kitchens, bathrooms, garden design, design and build bespoke pergolas and design and build wood-fired ovens. My builds often involve skips on clients driveway and I pride myself on leaving it cleaner than I found it, with a complimentary full driveway clean. This in turn results in quite a lot of repeat business and requests from neighbours, so a decent little sideline. 

My current setup (don’t laugh) is a Rocwood petrol pressure washer. Like a lot of the Chinese stuff it gets poor reviews and the build quality is very poor. However for my use I’ve found that with a bit of fettling, adding spring  washers to all the fixings so it doesn’t fall to bits, swapping in a decent spark plug, and just learning the idiosyncrasies of my particular machine, that it’s actually been very reliable. Starts every time.  Runs well. Powerful enough for what I need. My god it’s noisy though!  

I team this with an Amazon sourced 16” surface cleaner, bought from  a ‘proper’ cleaning supplies company. Nice aluminium and stainless fittings. Needs stripping down to clear the grit out of it after every few hours which is a pain but not the end of the world. When it happens on a job though it’s a bit of  a mare!  

So at the back of my mind is always that my kit might let me down because it’s cheap  and  quite poorly made.  So what’s the next step up?  I’ve seen good reviews for Lonchin, anything Honda engined seems well received,  and the Hyundai stuff looks good also  

Is there any point me upgrading if my budget is £500-£1,000 or so?  And if so to what.  Need to be powerful enough to run a slightly bigger surface cleaner and would love it to be a bit quieter  

Thanks in advance  

If what your using keeps your customers happy now why change?

Industrial machines you mention make a lot of noise and what was a light clean down could end up being a lot more extensive using heavy equipment.

Hello folks. First post here. And apologies that it’s a much asked question but posting again as I appreciate that the market changes and the historical answers may no longer be accurate. 

Firstly I’m not a ‘cleaner’ as such. My main trade is landscaper, but I also fit kitchens, bathrooms, garden design, design and build bespoke pergolas and design and build wood-fired ovens. My builds often involve skips on clients driveway and I pride myself on leaving it cleaner than I found it, with a complimentary full driveway clean. This in turn results in quite a lot of repeat business and requests from neighbours, so a decent little sideline. 

My current setup (don’t laugh) is a Rocwood petrol pressure washer. Like a lot of the Chinese stuff it gets poor reviews and the build quality is very poor. However for my use I’ve found that with a bit of fettling, adding spring  washers to all the fixings so it doesn’t fall to bits, swapping in a decent spark plug, and just learning the idiosyncrasies of my particular machine, that it’s actually been very reliable. Starts every time.  Runs well. Powerful enough for what I need. My god it’s noisy though!  

I team this with an Amazon sourced 16” surface cleaner, bought from  a ‘proper’ cleaning supplies company. Nice aluminium and stainless fittings. Needs stripping down to clear the grit out of it after every few hours which is a pain but not the end of the world. When it happens on a job though it’s a bit of  a mare!  

So at the back of my mind is always that my kit might let me down because it’s cheap  and  quite poorly made.  So what’s the next step up?  I’ve seen good reviews for Lonchin, anything Honda engined seems well received,  and the Hyundai stuff looks good also  

Is there any point me upgrading if my budget is £500-£1,000 or so?  And if so to what.  Need to be powerful enough to run a slightly bigger surface cleaner and would love it to be a bit quieter  

Thanks in advance  
Best advice is to read through this thread as all the previously asked questions are answered 

Best advice is to read through this thread as all the previously asked questions are answered 
Many thanks. What thread are you referring to. Was there meant to be a link?  

If what your using keeps your customers happy now why change?

Industrial machines you mention make a lot of noise and what was a light clean down could end up being a lot more extensive using heavy equipment.
You’re probably right.  At the back of my mind though I worry that it’s not reliable enough (even though it has been thus far), and I should have a better machine and keep the Rocwood as a spare. But not if it means investing more than a grand though. Don’t want to spend out and find all I’ve done is bought another small noisy machine. 

Many thanks. What thread are you referring to. Was there meant to be a link?  

You’re probably right.  At the back of my mind though I worry that it’s not reliable enough (even though it has been thus far), and I should have a better machine and keep the Rocwood as a spare. But not if it means investing more than a grand though. Don’t want to spend out and find all I’ve done is bought another small noisy machine. 

This where your post is, the pressure washing section 

Read through the previous posts and you'll see the best equipment listed

Have had a good read through and for my purposes and  budget I reckon the Jetmac stuff is going to be the best bet. Appreciate there is lots of love for Rutland but probably pushing the budget too far. 

Could I have opinions on the following.  I’d probably ask for a ‘washer pack’ deal on any of them so I appreciate the links I’ve posted aren’t like for like in terms of included equipment  

many thanks. 

https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/loncin-7-horse-gearbox-washer-pack

https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/loncin-g420-rrv4g40-washer-4000-psi-at-15-litres-per-minute

https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/honda-gp-200-with-reduction-gearbox-driven-pump-2400-psi-15-litres

https://jetmac.co.uk/shop/ols/products/7-hp-loncin-w154-interpump-washer

Last edited by a moderator:
Any 15ltr machine should give you a decent clean and rinse speed I personally wouldn’t go for anything less Than that and if you can get 21 ltr that will be Evan better , jet Mac are ok it’s just a pain dealing with a firm in Ireland 

Any 15ltr machine should give you a decent clean and rinse speed I personally wouldn’t go for anything less Than that and if you can get 21 ltr that will be Evan better , jet Mac are ok it’s just a pain dealing with a firm in Ireland 
Many thanks. Will probably go for the £1,150 7hp washer pack. I’m very easily led on spending money especially on new kit for work. I’ll start looking at something in Aldi for £20 and then by the time I’ve done my research I’ve spent £2k on something that’s massive overkill for the use it will get. I think a decent quality 15ltr and a better FSC is probably plenty. Would make sense to sell the Rocwood but I’ll probably keep it for now as a spare as it’s been 100% reliable.

I’ve seen a few comments about the service and difficulties with dealing with Jetmac but enough positive comments as well to take a chance I think.

Thanks again.  

One of the links says it's 4000psi, I know some insurance companies put limits on the max pressure a PW can be if they are covering it. So might be worth double checking your insurance! 

It might be worth you doing a bit of digging into the engines as I am sure the manufacturers will specify the noise they produce - lower dB the better (3dB difference is double loudness!!!!) 

The same goes for the pumps but more with respect to parts availability.

There is little to choose between trolleys.

One thing I did notice on some of the links is that some of the unloaders or hose connection points stick out the side quite a way and look a bit vulnerable - think pushing machine through a narrow gate - if doing front then back you might have to disconnect hoses to move and then if you clip the unloader on the gate post!!!! Some of them have fittings on front which could be better? Sort of depends on your space in the van too, plus check the weight as you will have to get it in and out of the van! 

One of the links says it's 4000psi, I know some insurance companies put limits on the max pressure a PW can be if they are covering it. So might be worth double checking your insurance! 

It might be worth you doing a bit of digging into the engines as I am sure the manufacturers will specify the noise they produce - lower dB the better (3dB difference is double loudness!!!!) 

The same goes for the pumps but more with respect to parts availability.

There is little to choose between trolleys.

One thing I did notice on some of the links is that some of the unloaders or hose connection points stick out the side quite a way and look a bit vulnerable - think pushing machine through a narrow gate - if doing front then back you might have to disconnect hoses to move and then if you clip the unloader on the gate post!!!! Some of them have fittings on front which could be better? Sort of depends on your space in the van too, plus check the weight as you will have to get it in and out of the van! 
Many thanks. I’ll check on the insurance as to be honest I don’t know. My public liability has me listed as a landscaper and Handyman so I’m assuming that the latter would cover my pressure washing but a good point. I’ll check that as I don’t believe I’ve seen it specified. 

Weight I’m  less concerned with. I’ve currently got a Fiat Doblo so it’s relatively low and easy to lift into. I’ll build or buy a ramp if I need to. I’m less worried about that as it will always be occasional use only. I tend not to book pressure washing with anything else as I simply couldn’t get all the kit for pressure washing  and any other work in the van together. Especially handyman stuff which invariably involves packing half my workshop onto the van. 

And another thing………to do this properly I know I should have a buffer tank if I’m running 15ltr per minute. I saw somebody comment that a 100ltr gorilla bucket was a practical alternative. Realistically I’m not going to get a wheelie bin in the van as well. Or should I be considering one of those rectangular plastic tanks that  folks bolt into their vans (but carried empty and filled on site in my case). Or maybe just a plastic drum?  

And another thing………to do this properly I know I should have a buffer tank if I’m running 15ltr per minute. I saw somebody comment that a 100ltr gorilla bucket was a practical alternative. Realistically I’m not going to get a wheelie bin in the van as well. Or should I be considering one of those rectangular plastic tanks that  folks bolt into their vans (but carried empty and filled on site in my case). Or maybe just a plastic drum?  
Anything that will hold water will do but obviously the bigger the better , a wheely bin is good if you can fit it in the van as you can store the lances , hose and other bits and bobs in it whilst transporting it all around and they have a small footprint but are a bit high in a small van 

As I understand it legally you are only allowed to 'pull' 12 litres per min from a domestic water supply. So to run a 15 litre per min you need a 'buffer' tank so you are not directly connected to the mains supply. 

I believe that the flow from most domestic outdoor taps is generally lower than 12L/min so using a large capacity buffer tank allows you to fill the tank while you setup the PW and then have the hose connected to the buffer tank to try and top it up as fast as possible. This will mean you have a 'tea break' or tidy up every so often when the buffer tank is empty.

I wouldn't get a tank bolted in just for PW as it will just take up valuable space for your other jobs plus then you have to have hoses going to the van and back.

I would get as big a buffer tank as you can, wheelie bins are good as you can keep lances and hoses in them plus they are light and easy to wheel into position plus most will fit through garden gates. They do come in different sizes 120L and 240L I think are normal. 

Anything that will hold water will do but obviously the bigger the better , a wheely bin is good if you can fit it in the van as you can store the lances , hose and other bits and bobs in it whilst transporting it all around and they have a small footprint but are a bit high in a small van 
Yea. Wouldn’t fit in mine. Currently looking at VW Transporters. Might be an option then. 

As I understand it legally you are only allowed to 'pull' 12 litres per min from a domestic water supply. So to run a 15 litre per min you need a 'buffer' tank so you are not directly connected to the mains supply. 

I believe that the flow from most domestic outdoor taps is generally lower than 12L/min so using a large capacity buffer tank allows you to fill the tank while you setup the PW and then have the hose connected to the buffer tank to try and top it up as fast as possible. This will mean you have a 'tea break' or tidy up every so often when the buffer tank is empty.

I wouldn't get a tank bolted in just for PW as it will just take up valuable space for your other jobs plus then you have to have hoses going to the van and back.

I would get as big a buffer tank as you can, wheelie bins are good as you can keep lances and hoses in them plus they are light and easy to wheel into position plus most will fit through garden gates. They do come in different sizes 120L and 240L I think are normal. 
Yea. That’s what I meant. I couldn’t justify the space to bolt one in. But thought they might be an efficient shape and light enough to chuck one the roof rack.

Just wondered if anyone had used something as small as a 100ltr gorilla bucket and not found it a pain. 

Well. I’ve pushed the button on the Jetmac kit. To be honest I didn’t even want to waste rutlands time asking. Their kit looks lovely but for their lowest priced machine plus accessories plus an FSC plus the VAT it was heading toward £2k to start with. Probably better kit, on the mainland if there were any issues and great spec, but this isn’t meant to be my main business and I get carried away far too easily spending on tools, so I chose not to be tempted. 

I went for the 7hp washer pack at £1,150. Tried for a bit extra or a freebie on top but nothing doing. ?  

I also think I’ve found a decent solution for a buffer tank. Someone not too far from me selling cleaned ex-food plastic barrels at less than £25. So long as I can squeeze one in the van (or on the rack more likely) it should be a good solution. Holds 220 litres. 

Got a couple of pressure washing jobs booked in the next few weeks so will see how I get on. I’d already agreed that my neighbour could borrow my gear to do his driveway but he’ll be borrowing the Rocwood, not the new stuff. ?

Well. I’ve pushed the button on the Jetmac kit. To be honest I didn’t even want to waste rutlands time asking. Their kit looks lovely but for their lowest priced machine plus accessories plus an FSC plus the VAT it was heading toward £2k to start with. Probably better kit, on the mainland if there were any issues and great spec, but this isn’t meant to be my main business and I get carried away far too easily spending on tools, so I chose not to be tempted. 

I went for the 7hp washer pack at £1,150. Tried for a bit extra or a freebie on top but nothing doing. ?  

I also think I’ve found a decent solution for a buffer tank. Someone not too far from me selling cleaned ex-food plastic barrels at less than £25. So long as I can squeeze one in the van (or on the rack more likely) it should be a good solution. Holds 220 litres. 

Got a couple of pressure washing jobs booked in the next few weeks so will see how I get on. I’d already agreed that my neighbour could borrow my gear to do his driveway but he’ll be borrowing the Rocwood, not the new stuff. ?
Jolly good glad you got sorted put up some pictures when you get it all ?

Jolly good glad you got sorted put up some pictures when you get it all ?
Certainly will. Assuming that TNT do their bit I didn’t order until late morning and it’s already left Ireland and supposedly with me in Herts before 9am tomorrow. Impressed if it actually happens. Also found a supplier for a 100 litre water barrel which might suit me better size-wise. 

Certainly will. Assuming that TNT do their bit I didn’t order until late morning and it’s already left Ireland and supposedly with me in Herts before 9am tomorrow. Impressed if it actually happens. Also found a supplier for a 100 litre water barrel which might suit me better size-wise. 
Dear me that’s some fast turn around !!!!!!! Just a side point get some before , during and after pictures and gradually build up a portfolio I find it invaluable to be able to show potential customers what something will look like after a clean it really sells the service . 

Don't forget to put oil in engine, pump and gearbox!!!! Good Luck and let us know how you get on

Many thanks. Will probably go for the £1,150 7hp washer pack. I’m very easily led on spending money especially on new kit for work. I’ll start looking at something in Aldi for £20 and then by the time I’ve done my research I’ve spent £2k on something that’s massive overkill for the use it will get. I think a decent quality 15ltr and a better FSC is probably plenty. Would make sense to sell the Rocwood but I’ll probably keep it for now as a spare as it’s been 100% reliable.

I’ve seen a few comments about the service and difficulties with dealing with Jetmac but enough positive comments as well to take a chance I think.

Thanks 
7hp is pweny. Not enough drive regardless of what pump Is bolted to it.

Better off going for the full works and having a Rutland pumps WaterTek package Honda GX390 21lpm 2900psi 

Back