Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

All eggs in one basket?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Need to think about what you want don’t compare yourself to others. Enjoy what you can do and go home and see the family early enough so you aren’t too tired to talk to them. You can only sleep in one bed. 

One day I need to come out and see how the real proffesional do it. I'm guessing each van is double manned, but still doing 10-14 houses an hour??? I'm single manned but atleast spend a minute per window scrubbing and then rinsing and I still walk away with my fingers crossed that there clean enough ?. But that time doesn't include extending the poles sorting equipment out and.....yes I know you all hate it.....but wiping the ground floor sills down with a cloth. 

One day I need to come out and see how the real proffesional do it. I'm guessing each van is double manned, but still doing 10-14 houses an hour??? I'm single manned but atleast spend a minute per window scrubbing and then rinsing and I still walk away with my fingers crossed that there clean enough ?. But that time doesn't include extending the poles sorting equipment out and.....yes I know you all hate it.....but wiping the ground floor sills down with a cloth. 
You are more than welcome to come out with us any time but it’s a long way down from ware you are ??? we dont wipe  sills down , but first cleans we take our time with making sure they are 100% right all subsequent cleans are then a doodle . Most of our work is very compact this makes a huge difference to speed we have roads ware  we do evert house in the road . I hate to say it as some will laugh but hot water makes a big difference speed wise as well , having the van set up right , routes logically planed , all add to an efficient set up . All my guys are conscientious and work hard not sitting in the vans drinking tea or on there phones again this makes a big difference to productivity.  

I don’t class our operation is anything special just well organised for maximum volume of work in the shortest time that’s all , I don’t  think we do anything that others cannot do it’s just a logical way to run a business as far as Ime concerned 

It really surprised me reading through the threads of a new starter doing 6 week and 12 weekly. I'm sure he will change that soon. 
I agree offering 12 weekly is daft in most cases but can be acceptable for some bigger jobs. But there's nothing wrong with offering 6 weekly for a slightly higher charge. In fact, it's more lucrative than offering a lower price for 4 weekly. 

Hey guys!

Sorry haven't been on for a while just been window cleaning and also doing family stuff.

So as many of you know I've been at this about 10 months now and business has really took off, to the point I've lost a slight bit if control (first time owning a business in first year so please don't shoot me). I've sold 70ish customers to another cleaner. All them customers were in surrounding villages to where I live. My issue is i still have 3 towns round my area where I do windows but considering getting rid of these too as I'm just getting busier and busier in my own village/town. And now spring is nearly here I'm booked up for next 6 Saturdays with Conny roofs and gutterclearing/facia jobs etc etc. 

Im considering getting rid of all customers in all areas except my own village now. I have about 200 monthly customers here now and gain between 3-10 new customers a week here. However a little concerned about putting all my eggs into one area and then if something went wrong here I've let all the other areas go. Where I live is great but very clicky. Everyone kn the streets know eachother and guarantees one mistake will spread like wildfire. 

As it was such freezing weather and snow in February it set me behind and I just can't seem to catch up, everyday getting a message from a customer asking where I am (even though I'm not seriously late) and that on top of still gaining customers in my village at a steady weekly rate I'm starting to feel a little bit like im letting it slip . 

Wondered people's thoughts on this? Good idea, bad idea? I wouldn't ever have to travel more than 1.5 miles from my own door step in this situation. 

Also alongside thisbi haven't had a day off in about 24 days. No big deal I know, and on a Saturday and Sunday only working about 3 hours each day but still not ideal. But feel a little snowed under. Again it's raining here today got 6 houses done this morning but round my area people hate with a passion cleaning in the rain so always sets me behind to then have to catch up again at weekend. And like I said earlier if people round here start saying I clean in the rain and there not happy it will spread quickly and then I will lose/ not gain customers. 

Thanks all and hope everyone is well! 
i have a lot more jobs than you(and quite a lot of larger ones too)and work part time hours with weekends off..........i worked in the rain for 5 hours today and picked up 2 new jobs!in fact ive picked up 12 new jobs now in the last 2 weeks without even trying!....

nearly all my work is a 15 min drive from my house with some commercial jobs a little bit further away....i have 364 jobs at present most of them (over 300) are within a 3 mile affluent area.....

you need to work in the rain IMO...customers get used to it and wont bat an eyelid once you ve been doing it for a few years.....

dont be afraid of losing customers...you will very rarely lose a customer due to working in the rain and your bank balance and leisure time will be much better/healthier...

id sack the weekends off if i were you and just work mon-fri at 5 or 6 hours per day.......in all weathers too!

i have a lot more jobs than you(and quite a lot of larger ones too)and work part time hours with weekends off..........i worked in the rain for 5 hours today and picked up 2 new jobs!in fact ive picked up 12 new jobs now in the last 2 weeks without even trying!....

nearly all my work is a 15 min drive from my house with some commercial jobs a little bit further away....i have 364 jobs at present most of them (over 300) are within a 3 mile affluent area.....

you need to work in the rain IMO...customers get used to it and wont bat an eyelid once you ve been doing it for a few years.....

dont be afraid of losing customers...you will very rarely lose a customer due to working in the rain and your bank balance and leisure time will be much better/healthier...

id sack the weekends off if i were you and just work mon-fri at 5 or 6 hours per day.......in all weathers too!
This has been a burning question for me. Do you work in 50mph winds like they've forecast the next couple of days. I mean, I know its possible but surely its a little impractical if cleaning attached or terraced houses. Ya know like spray going all over the place onto neighbours windows, cars etc. Rain doesn't bother me but I'm not sure about high winds ?

This has been a burning question for me. Do you work in 50mph winds like they've forecast the next couple of days. I mean, I know its possible but surely its a little impractical if cleaning attached or terraced houses. Ya know like spray going all over the place onto neighbours windows, cars etc. Rain doesn't bother me but I'm not sure about high winds ?
High winds is really a no no it blows  the water off the sills onto the glass, and it’s windy conditions that make windiws dirty more than rain , we couldn’t work today and doubt we will tomorrow either due to height winds and doing costal work ????

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree offering 12 weekly is daft in most cases but can be acceptable for some bigger jobs. But there's nothing wrong with offering 6 weekly for a slightly higher charge. In fact, it's more lucrative than offering a lower price for 4 weekly. 
So working this out you get 8.6 cleans a year from a 6 weekly customer, and 12 cleans a year from a monthly customer. If the monthly customer is say £10 you would have to charge that same customer nearly 50% more to make a small profit and have a much more confusing rota. Just to break even on that customers annual pay with the business you would have to charge £14 for the equivalent of £10 monthly. I may be wrong but seems easier on all levels to do a nice monthly clean then this? And if I was a customer I would rather have a monthly clean then pay the same amount over the year to have less cleans? 

I think 4 weekly work is the best to have less customers needed , windows less dirty , someone posted on hear the other week “ you pay me to keep your windows clean ,not clean dirty windows  “ that statement is very true and a 4 weekly clean gives you that . 

its often not as bad as they forecast.......if it is 50 mph winds then even i will sack the day off.....i doubt itll be that windy though.....

strong winds do dirty windows and can make a mess of your work on some windows

So working this out you get 8.6 cleans a year from a 6 weekly customer, and 12 cleans a year from a monthly customer. If the monthly customer is say £10 you would have to charge that same customer nearly 50% more to make a small profit and have a much more confusing rota. Just to break even on that customers annual pay with the business you would have to charge £14 for the equivalent of £10 monthly. I may be wrong but seems easier on all levels to do a nice monthly clean then this? And if I was a customer I would rather have a monthly clean then pay the same amount over the year to have less cleans? 
Say you charge £10 per month for one customer.  That's £30 per quarter.

Then if you change to 6 weekly say at £12, that's £24 per quarter.

But you have freed up a slot from the 4 weekly by changing to 6 weekly - room for another customer in the quarter.  Say that's another £12 job. 

A total of £36.  So an extra £6 in your pocket.  Mutliply that by your number of customers, and extra jobs you can fit in.  

That could be a solution for someone like you who has too many customers.

its often not as bad as they forecast.......if it is 50 mph winds then even i will sack the day off.....i doubt itll be that windy though.....

strong winds do dirty windows and can make a mess of your work on some windows
Yea I agree and I think sometimes it's only high up exposed areas that feel the full strength, obviously. Anywhere below sea level or sheltered towns and it just feels like a normal windy day 

I had to do some dormer windows that were added to a first storey today - they were high up towards the apex of the roof.  I put two extensions on my SLX27 to reach them and it was a killer of a job because it was at that precise moment the wind picked up and the blooming brush was all over the place spraying water everywhere!  

I persevered and managed to get the windows rinsed thoroughly as did the neighbouring house ?  Rest of the day was fine using the SLX18.  Got some skylights tomorrow to do on a farm house but will gauge the weather tomorrow but I will likely miss a couple jobs but I'm not writing the whole day off.

I think 4 weekly work is the best to have less customers needed , windows less dirty , someone posted on hear the other week “ you pay me to keep your windows clean ,not clean dirty windows  “ that statement is very true and a 4 weekly clean gives you that . 
That's true but when I was a customer and my window cleaner used to clean my windows every 4 weeks, I got fed up with seeing him so often and cleaning my clean windows.  Still, he cleaned my windows for 15 years without any cancellations etc!  There are not many customers out there believe in the "you pay me to keep the windows cleaned" rather than "I pay you to clean my dirty windows".  

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong (there is no right or wrong in this case) and I'm simply adopting the practice that I prefer and most of my customers prefer.  By adopting a 6 weekly regime, I'm making my targets more difficult to reach but I want to do it now rather than when I have a full round.  

I believe with a 6 weekly, I will be working on a schedule that works for me and will hopefully enable me to earn more but on the same hours as a 4 weekly round.

That's true but when I was a customer and my window cleaner used to clean my windows every 4 weeks, I got fed up with seeing him so often and cleaning my clean windows.  Still, he cleaned my windows for 15 years without any cancellations etc!  There are not many customers out there believe in the "you pay me to keep the windows cleaned" rather than "I pay you to clean my dirty windows".  

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong (there is no right or wrong in this case) and I'm simply adopting the practice that I prefer and most of my customers prefer.  By adopting a 6 weekly regime, I'm making my targets more difficult to reach but I want to do it now rather than when I have a full round.  

I believe with a 6 weekly, I will be working on a schedule that works for me and will hopefully enable me to earn more but on the same hours as a 4 weekly round.
As you say there is no right or wrong , I want to earn the maximum amount of money in the shortest possible time and give my customers a reliable value for money service so all parties are happy 4 weekly work does that for us , plus with our costal work 4 weekly cleans are vital due to salty windows , again I think it’s an area thing the majority ask for monthly cleans down hear and we are happy to do it ???

Im confused, why sell work after 10 months? Youve sold 70ish customers, you have 200 in your town/village and your wanting to sell more work thats not in your town/village.

Why?

You work a 4weekly rota, if you did 20/25 houses a day on a 4wkly working mon-fri you could comfortably do 400-500 customers per 4wkly you only have 1/2 your capacity in your town/village so im confused as to why your selling customers on already and if im honest im confused how you can sell customers on in under a year of having them.

I genuinely dont wanna sound like im being a kn0b but i just dont get it, maybe im missing some detail.

As you say there is no right or wrong , I want to earn the maximum amount of money in the shortest possible time and give my customers a reliable value for money service so all parties are happy 4 weekly work does that for us , plus with our costal work 4 weekly cleans are vital due to salty windows , again I think it’s an area thing the majority ask for monthly cleans down hear and we are happy to do it ???
You are long established with plenty of customers so I couldn't possibly disagree with you ? I think Cornwall is quite an affluent area too so most are happy to pay for 4 weekly, especially with the sea air. I find most of my customers are not keen on 4 weekly so I don't offer it anymore. 

I hope to be as happy as you are one day ?

You are long established with plenty of customers so I couldn't possibly disagree with you ? I think Cornwall is quite an affluent area too so most are happy to pay for 4 weekly, especially with the sea air. I find most of my customers are not keen on 4 weekly so I don't offer it anymore. 

I hope to be as happy as you are one day ?
When I started I offered 4 weekly as that was what the only other one window cleaner in my town did , it wasn’t a planed thing , but looking back I feel it was the right choice.  We get a lot of new customers moving down from , London, Surrey , midlands all seam to ask for monthly apart from the ones from the midlands who ask for fortnightly  , I always say try 4 weekly and if you arnt happy we can do them fortnightly so far all have stayed monthly , we will do 8 weekly at a higher price but the vast majority go for monthly , the exceptions that go for 8 weekly are jobs ranging from £60-200 on domestic houses , that amount to clean windiws to me is astronomical but to them as multi millionaires I doubt it’s much . 

Im confused, why sell work after 10 months? Youve sold 70ish customers, you have 200 in your town/village and your wanting to sell more work thats not in your town/village.

Why?

You work a 4weekly rota, if you did 20/25 houses a day on a 4wkly working mon-fri you could comfortably do 400-500 customers per 4wkly you only have 1/2 your capacity in your town/village so im confused as to why your selling customers on already and if im honest im confused how you can sell customers on in under a year of having them.

I genuinely dont wanna sound like im being a kn0b but i just dont get it, maybe im missing some detail.
You don't sound like a *** and it's a fair question. So I probably have in total now about 280 customers. But I work by myself and the houses in my village are pretty big and can get really big. So yeh I may say I charge £10 for a normal semi but alot of my houses here are 5 bed detached with conservatory's that take me on my own 30--40 mins and I charge accordingly. So I actually tend to sit at around a comfortable 10 jobs a day. Also these houses are what I refer to as back breakers ?, I have to bend like a circus act to reach some windows . So the chance of doing 20-25 houses a day just isn't possible. Also I do gutter cleaning and Conny roofs on a Saturday morning and booked up for next 6 weeks so I'm honestly not really needing as much work as I've got. Look at today for example I'll be lucky to get 3 houses done today, really really windy and throwing it down. And now I have to catch them back up again with just a  single person . 

Back