Am i doing too much?

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Damo J, Feb 20, 2016.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Damo J

Damo J Member

Hi all,

New to forum, and window cleaning.

Trying to start my own round, just weekends at the min as im still working full time, although work is slowing down now.

Just wandering if when you do windows is it standard practice to clean the frames and sills aswell as windows. Or do you charge extra for that?

I did abit of window cleaning for my uncle last summer so my squeegee action aint so bad lol, but i did three houses all next to eachother today and it took me nearly 2 hours. Found cleaning the frames and sills were taking up most of the time. They were all first cleans so i guess next time wont take so long, but starting out on my own wanted to make a good impression.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. jtc

jtc Newcomer

hi damo,frames usually are charged for.cills i always wipe anyway as iv made the mess if iv used my squeegie.i use water poles so sometimes i will go over the frames with the water pole for little or no cost.this takes seconds with a pole.by hand its more time consuming.my mate does more frames than me.also he,s a totally trad cleaner.can charge up to double depending on time spent on the frames.mate iv been doing it for years and still got work that aint the best priced.balanced out with some work that is priced out very favourable rates in my favour.good luck for the future

3. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Charge a decent price to start with and clean the frames and sills everytime as it is part of the window
    Don't take long to wipe a wet cloth round the frames after scrubbing the glass before you squeegee it off
    In this economic climate you can't afford to do half a job when there are so many cleaners competing for work
    Also for me it is matter of pride in my work

You will get quicker the more you do it and there are ways to make it easy to do a first clean by using chemicals to help

This is a vid i did to show an example of a first clean using a chemical and an applicator then using another applicator to soap up and squeegee properly
    It takes a few minutes per window but even so a whole house can be done in 20 minutes
    Apologies to those who have already seen my fat **** on video
    Also Green Pro Clean Ltd did a you tube vid of a first clean which was good

4. Adams0211

Adams0211 Guru

Definitely clean the frames and sills mate. We're window cleaners, not glass cleaners.

In the last couple of days I've got four new customers from one lady who contacted me because their current window cleaner doesn't do the frames and sills.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

5. WWC

WWC Well-Known Member

First cleans always take considerably longer. Once you have them nice, it takes less work and time for future maintenance cleans.

Paul

6. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Here's my beginners guide to minging windows.

7. Green Pro Clean Ltd

And sorry to disagree jtc but you should always include frames snd sills as standard practice.

8. Damo J

Damo J Member

Thank you for the advice.

Great vids too. Ive got a soffit clean aswell as windows and some upvc cladding on the porch that want doing so might be a good idea to invest in some ubik.

9. Green Pro Clean Ltd

Some would say Virosol but I love Ubik fpr everything.

10. TolishAPurd

Always frames and sills. i use the same technique as green, but i use one sill cloth for the whole house, and don't go as in depth anymore on the frames. i make the clean a much more gradual process, and tell the customer that they will see the odd smear etc on the first clean, but after the second they will be perfect. i find this is more proffitable and keeps first cleans very quick. it also means that if they pull a fast one then i havnt invested too much effort or time. the glass will always impress on the first clean though.

Advertisement