Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any ideas water supplier markings!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I thought years ago it was said that lead pipes was causing children to have brain issues and they had to be replaced?.. I haven’t seen any lead pipes for must be 30 + years
Good point. That's part of the reason they removed lead from petrol! Not great timing though as Formula Shell was unleaded but they replaced the lead with Benzene which gives you cancer! Unleaded was fine for cars with cats as that stopped the benzene being a problem.

Lead causing brain issues may explain a lot as for the last 17 years I have lived in houses with lead pipes :)

I thought all drinking water had to stop coming through lead pipe work years ago , it’s quite dangerous to drink water from it over a long time especially if the water has sat in the pipes and not been flushed through for a while
You just have to run the tap for a while before using it first thing in the morning, my R/O is run overnight through the week so not an issue.
Dear me you still have lead pipes thought that was outlawed years ago ?…
:ROFLMAO: we didn't know until a few months ago, the lad could only snap a small photo with his phone behind the base unit at the time we decided to leave it as we were about to have the old kitchen ripped out and multiple trades in the house for a while, all the work has been done now and the old kitchen is now a utility room and the pipework is far easier to access.

Some water companies contribute to replacements depending on the age of the property but as far as I know nothing requiring it's removal!
Not ours you have to pay for it all yourself, thankfully found a company that is a Wras-approved contractor and instead of us having to fill out the paperwork they do it all for us and use moling machine so no big trench in the garden.

They're not going to go to that extreme to record the use they would need to put a manhole cover in the middle of the road. Alot of work that just to catch someone far cheaper visiting my house.
It would surprise you when money is concerned. Okay up here but we have plenty of rain water but down south it becomes expensive to make drinking water. They may have a team in the Ivory Tower just gaining evidence on all the window cleaners in their region. They would then make sure every one has a water meter fitted as soon as possible. Reason being its a private company and their job is to save money for shareholders. If more window cleaners begin to receive meters then that's the reason. Nothing surprises me when money is involved. ?

You will probably find the cost of Chlorine has doubled in price and the water company needs to pay for it. Just read the other day that adding Fluoride would be a waste of time or more likely cost too much money.

I thought that do it on a night time wake up it will be full.

I know it's wrong but one thing we should all be doing at the minute is looking after our pennys.

I know it's wrong but one thing we should all be doing at the minute is looking after our pennys.
If you have a small leak, then it's bound to attract attention. They can tell the difference between a small leak and a running shower or bath. If you have a small r/o like the 450gpd I had 10 years ago, then they could mistake that for a genuine leak.

The flavour of the month up in the North East 12 to 15 years ago was looking for leaks. They always seemed to be around first thing. So I waited for them to go before switching my r/o on. I often processed water overnight directly into my trailer tanks. I switched the r/o on at around 11pm and checked at around 6am the following morning. Sometimes the tanks were full and overflowing, and at other times they still had a way to go.
It got better when I purchased a used IBC tank.

I have a 450gpd R/O so I can fill my static tank overnight and it will be full by the morning then I am able to fill my van tank every night after work, I have to run my hose across a path at the front of our house and into our garage so doing overnight fills avoids prying eyes.

The Chinese owners of NW are on the ball about saving money they don't want a single penny wasted and with those hefty fines they had for dumping sewerage in the rivers they could be wanting to claw back a lot of money so maybe they are been more proactive with leak detection.

All they do is look in Facebook, Advertising, Google and anywhere else we would advertise our window cleaning business. My mate worked for the council and her job was to go through Facebook searching for companies. Better to use your parents home if they don't have a water meter.

All they do is look in Facebook, Advertising, Google and anywhere else we would advertise our window cleaning business. My mate worked for the council and her job was to go through Facebook searching for companies. Better to use your parents home if they don't have a water meter.
Well I've been producing water at home for coming up 12 years and I'm not on a meter so whoevers job it is isn't doing it very well.

Was there a leak ?
Couldn't tell you mate. There was a bit of water in but not what I'd close a road of and rip it all up for. Plus the changed the pipe live so that would have chucked some water out also.i looked at the old pipe that came out it did have the odd hole in but that could be from digging.

The old pipe was black new one is blue so maybe been in the ground I while as the blue piping as been around years now.

Strange through I've been at this address years so surely it's just random

They're really not that interested in going after window cleaners the extra cost of installing a meter really isn't worth the bother for the small marginal gain.

Every house I've owned has had a meter I don't claim return to sewer or anything else and pay for what I use.I'm also not shy with it and use large amounts of water.

I regularly get a letter saying I use 3+x any one else on my road but that's it.

The cost of being on a meter and what you pay is penuts to what it makes you in profit.I certainly wouldn't go to the effort of setting one up else where to avoid going on a meter.

They are defiantly not checking facebook, Google etc to find out who's a window cleaner and not on a meter.

Back