Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone tried this cam?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I'm not looking to do it on the cheap, I've already got a job booked in and risk losing it if I don't get up and running promptly.  I'm looking for a solution where you can see the screen in bright daylight without screen freezes.  All the videos I've seen where they show the monitor [not the recording] have issues with screen freeze.  I also need a large screen, the smartphones are too small.

I'll have another look into the go pro's. 
Which phone do you use?

my iPhone XR video feed from the go pro is in landscape mode via the go pro app. It takes up the whole screen and is quite large.

Which phone do you use?

my iPhone XR video feed from the go pro is in landscape mode via the go pro app. It takes up the whole screen and is quite large.
I just have a moto g, but I watch now tv on it and it looks fine, it's just too small for me to use for working with though.  

I'm looking at getting a used gopro, think I might get a gopro 3, looking at the specs it seems more than ample for what I need but the key thing is the app, from what I can make out the app is the same whether you have a gopro8 ,7, 6, 5, 4, 3 and it's the app that's the key part.  

The apps for all the other action cameras don't allow you to orientate to view in landscape but the gopro app does.  The cheaper cameras from unknown brands might record ok, but it's not the recording is the viewing the live feed via a monitor that you get problems.  Non of the apps are well developed, they struggle to even connect let alone adjust the viewing size of the picture.

A gopro 3 can be had for less than £50 and so long as the connection is smooth then there shouldn't be any problems.  They are all 2.4g wifi so should connect at the same speed with same data transfer.  The resolution doesn't need to be 4k or anything like that, it's overkill for the intended use so the older gopro's are probably more suited.

I'll probably get a gopro and get a large screen tablet to view it on.

@wezza13 @Apw1210 All, how do you guys clamp/fix the cam to the crevice tool neck and your phone to the pole (wrist?)

Also are there any disadvantages, apart from cost, from getting a later (newer hence more life left in it) model go pro say 5/6/7/8 ? Or just get a new one?

Do you use the Go Pro large bar clamp  (max 6.35cm dia)?

image.png

Anyone use a fishing rod/phone clamp like this one - can you get big enough o'rings to fit ?

image.png

Appreciate any feedback from anyone actually using a solution that think works great!

Last edited by a moderator:
@wezza13 @Apw1210 All, how do you guys clamp/fix the cam to the crevice tool neck and your phone to the pole (wrist?)

Also are there any disadvantages, apart from cost, from getting a later (newer hence more life left in it) model go pro say 5/6/7/8 ? Or just get a new one?

View attachment 21101

Anyone use a fishing rod/phone clamp like this one - can you get big enough o'rings to fit ?

View attachment 21102

Appreciate any feedback from anyone actually using a solution that think works great!
Tagged you in a previous thread. The same mount i use can be used to hold the phone and camera. I have many of them 

View attachment 21101

View attachment 21102

I use the Go Pro large bar mount that is in the pic that you've posted ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a camera but it doesn't record. I clear gutters with my vac and then site my ladder in middle and go up and take a photo each end if the client wants proof. If its 2 storey high then they are on to plums or they can go up and I'll foot the ladder. ?

Does anyone have hands on experience of this camera system.

Would love to know peoples direct experience of this particular model.

https://www.guttervacuumsystems.co.uk/product/gutter-inspection-camera-kit/
I would say it's over priced and do you really need 4K images??

I would say get a genuine SJcam  SJ4000 camera (lots of copies about) and a dual charger/battery pack for about half the price of the one you linked to. The SJ4000 app is good on android (not tried the ios) very easy to use, wifi gives good range, wide enough lens. The attachments are just gopro ones so millions on ebay. My SJ4000 is about 4 years old now and still works fine.

You cant beat a 360 cam. You dont have to point it at what you need to, just pan around on your phone and zoom in what you need to.

I would say it's over priced and do you really need 4K images??

I would say get a genuine SJcam  SJ4000 camera (lots of copies about) and a dual charger/battery pack for about half the price of the one you linked to. The SJ4000 app is good on android (not tried the ios) very easy to use, wifi gives good range, wide enough lens. The attachments are just gopro ones so millions on ebay. My SJ4000 is about 4 years old now and still works fine.
Thanks. Great tip and good to hear you’ve used it for so long.

I was looking at these although they do not clarify you can link your phone to them to view the cameras images live.

I assume it can from what you’ve said about the app but can you clarify before a buy a few.

thanks in advance

I use the Go Pro large bar mount that is in the pic that you've posted ?
As I previously mentioned I build all my own camera mounts and clamps. 

The the gooseneck I use a gopro style handle bar mount.

Way better than a sprung c clips as the camera can easily fall off. 

For the phone mount I use a poundland phone sprung holder and another handlebar mount 

Thanks. Great tip and good to hear you’ve used it for so long.

I was looking at these although they do not clarify you can link your phone to them to view the cameras images live.

I assume it can from what you’ve said about the app but can you clarify before a buy a few.

thanks in advance
Just checked as I haven't used it in a while. SJCam app on android you switch wifi on the camera (1 button) then connect tp the cameras wifi network with simple password on camera screen. Then app shows live view, you can record or take photos. There is a little lag but only half second max which is fine for gutters etc. I fly racing quads (0 to 100mpg in under 2 sec) and half a second lag would be way too slow for that but gutters no problem at all. I don't think you need the expense of a GoPro as it's not absolute quality you are looking for, it's just good enough images to view gutters and show the custys. Don't get me wrong GoPro is better quality, I have a GoPro session5 which does 4K and produces a great image but it's overkill just for viewing gutters etc.

Just to clarify I haven't used it professionally for gutter cleans but I have surveyed my own gutters a few times and it's fine. Used to mainly use it on big camera quad with 3 axis gimbal etc.

They normally come with a few accessories including the waterproof case. Try and get a genuine one ( should have a sticker on case to scratch off serial number and check on web site) as there are some poor copies kicking about. As most it doesn't come with a micro sd card. I use a decent brand card (Samsung Evo U1 class 16Gb) probably dont need any faster so no need to pay for a U3 ). I guess 32Gb is max.

Back