Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Are window cleaners still allowed to work during Coronavirus (Covid-19)?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just been to Asda to get two bottles of milk. People are out everywhere. Old people walking, people cycling, kids playing out...

Just carry on working if you are healthy, you defiantly won't be the only one..

While I was out I went to see one of my 90 year clients to tell her tomorrows clean was off and that I would come Tuesday. She said fine come whenever you want as she is now staying indoors.

If the government says we can't work that's when to stop..

I’ve text a few customers and told them the precautions I’m taking and all that replied have said go ahead. It’s not going to be long till lockdown as people are not socially distancing themselves. 

Hi everyone, just wanted to get peoples thoughts on what they are going to do in the coming weeks? 
I live in the north of Scotland and I am going to continue to work (as long as customers allow me to do so) for as long as I possibly can! 

I’ve text 19 customers tonight. Had 2 that I knew had health issues that have asked to skip. All the others have not only said yes but have sent really supportive messages. Even an offer to pay me even if we go into lockdown. 
Most customers I think will be more than happy as long as we take the correct precautions of no contact and leaving money outside. Obv wash hands after handling cash but most of mine pay online anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only got the numbers of about 100 of my customers. Text them all today saying respecting social distancing blah blah and I'll be continuing to clean regularly while I can and explained bank transfer only or money left in safe place and no slips will be posted through letterbox etc for time being... only 1 has cancelled. Loads text back saying they are more than happy for me to carry on. I'll be continuing until the government tell me otherwise. 

Still planning to continue as normalmfor as long as possible, just going to see how it goes and jump hurdles as and when they arrive

One of my mates got the bump from the rigs when oil price collapsed and decided on a nice foreign holiday. He's back home and caught the virus. Not having much luck and they say it comes in three's.

Well I have answered my own question. I’m gonna go to work in the morn. I do quite a few shops on a Monday morn. Had a walk up town. 4 of them are closed for the time being. My first job is a bakers that has to be done by 6 before they put their stuff in the window. Just text him and he said to come as normal ( for now)

I’m out tomorrow. Had to text 3 of my customers about locked gates and sash windows being shut. 2 replied saying fine, come round. I also said I wont knock (tbf I don’t normally any way) and I wont post a slip when done; I will just text them to say I’ve been. The rest I will just rock up to. They’ve had the chance to let us know not to come as well so I will just crack as usual. People don’t seem too bothered at the moment as we are outdoors. I think our problems will be if people get skint and are watching their pennies. I’m personally going to be very relaxed about people skipping cleans with no explanation; usually I bin them off instantly but I think now is the time to be understanding. Plus we probably can’t afford to lose customers at the moment!

It's not hard to stand two meters back from a custy if they come out (for the forgetful...just laugh and say 'ooh social distancing ?, backing away) most of us wear gloves and we don't even touch their homes (use elbow/foot/pole on gate latches) we're at least 1-2 meters away their homes most of the time. Take gloves off after each job wash hands and/or sanitise and post card already made out at home) thru using 'cleaned' finger tips or just text/email you've been 'done'... all sensible precautions...if the Gov thought we windies or fellow self employed were at risk of being 'serious' contagion agents they would have paid us to stay at home...since they are not they are clearly fine with us carrying on...so I will be. 

Just carry on unless told not to clean even if you clean say pay into bank or put money aside till virus situation blows over I have not had any cancellations I had 2 new jobs last week as no one is around they pop out and ask for regular cleaning so it could work a little in favour if you’re out 

Continuing as normal personally cos all paid online anyways. The reason I think a lockdown is imminent though, is due to many big businesses today closing. McDonalds being one, and it would then make sense to have the lock down sooner rather than later; to get things back to normal sooner not later. 

I am going out as normal....no cancellations so far.

After watching todays corona briefing i have a feeling that full lockdown isnt far away...maybe even sometime this week. I suspect that it may be longer than 2 weeks. More likely 3 to 4 weeks.

A twice yearly cleaning job  tomorrow for us , four day job , the landlord is desperate for them cleaning, I just take a drink  &  sandwich & crack on

I'm carrying on working until I get told not to. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll be taking out a box/bucket with water and washing up liquid in it with all my change coming in and going out soaked in it to kill any germs.

Just wash your hands after handling it, or touching any other surface you will be fine. i.e door handles or payment cards...

Copper actually kills germs..

I feel sorry for all the supermarket check out staff, image how much cash transactions they are dealing with
My Wife works part time in a small food store. She is type 1 diabetic and has mild asthma so I've told her she's not working for the next 12 weeks. Fortunately we don't need the money, wouldn't like to be in a position where she had to work because of finances.

My Wife works part time in a small food store. She is type 1 diabetic and has mild asthma so I've told her she's not working for the next 12 weeks. Fortunately we don't need the money, wouldn't like to be in a position where she had to work because of finances.
I'm just not sure what to do. I feel I NEED to go out to work. I'll be honest, I don't need the money I'm comfortable thank god I'm a saver. It's really strange. SHOULD we be going out to work if we don't have to? My mother has COPD so I'm worried about her. I'm honestly at a loss what to do.

Latest Posts

Back