Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Beware, don't feel this is quite right.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thank you for your prompt responses.

And thanks for confirming my doubts.

Their address is literally 10-15 minute drive from me, I may "pay them a visit".

Again, many thanks for your prompt responses, I really appreciate it!
I would definitely pay them a visit if they are that close , report back as to what you find Ime sure a lot on hear would be interested to see what they have to say 

I clean a number of schools - from my experience most schools are run by trusts that handle a group of schools and deal with all their maintenance. I would say it’s highly unlikely they’d use a third party that look to charge a contract fee to ‘secure’ business without even using the company first. Sounds like BS to me. 

Evening All

Has anyone here had any dealings with a company called Schools Supplies Service LTD?

I had a call today from them offering me a contract for my postcode area to supply services (window cleaning, jet washing and gutter cleaning) to 40 private schools and nursery's.

The phone call seemed all legit, but then the information email was sent to me and I am now a bit dubious, mainly when they stated there is a £375 +VAT to "Secure the exclusivity rights" to my area.

They also say that if I was to take up their offer I would have an 18 month contract and that I would "pick and choose" the jobs I want eg if a job is too big I'd turn it down and they would pass it on to the closest contractor.

I would also quote on a job by job basis, to me this isn't how contracts work. My understanding with legit contracts is that I'd put in a quote and if successful I would win that job for the duration agreed length of time, not get the contract and then quote for the job.

As you can tell I have no experience with contracts as yet so I am hoping someone can give me advice about this company.

Many thanks

James
Phone calls offering you something out of the ordinary are never legit even more so asking for money upfront a couple of questions and they are easily caught out years ago I had a scam call so I quizzed them they said I was a recommended business from a council which is miles 10 miles away from me but not a council I had dealings with or an area I had ever worked, 

Like the idiots who tell you they can get you on page one of Google again I quizzed one guy and told him I was top of page one for my area he said not in Cornwall you aren't which is 100's of miles from me ?  I have now got a newer fancier phone which automatically filters and blocks spam calls 

I think the scam is that probably they don't have any form of contract with any of the schools and the schools would most likely make their own arrangements without asking them. But they implied to me that they could give me all or some of the schools on my post code, so I don't feel that there was any truth in that as I don't believe that the schools are theirs to give or not give. I could be wrong but something didn't feel right to me.

@Doug, I had exactly the same call today.

I found your post after putting up my own post about this and @High-tower kindly posting a link to this post.

The phone call I had seemed legit, I then had the email with more info and stating their fee of £375 +VAT ..... It was at this point I forwarded the email to my Mrs at home (I was out working) who did a quick look up about the company which brought back loads of poor reviews.

On the original call we arranged to have a follow up call tomorrow afternoon, I have just emailed them saying it is not in my company's interests to proceed with the offer and that they should remove my details from their system.

@Doug can I ask if you have had anymore correspondence from them?
Hi, I know what you mean, its doesn't look like an outright scam, where the company doesn't even exist. This company seems to have been around for years, but the reviews I found were pretty bad and most called it a scam. There were positive reviews that one of the bad reviews pointed out that none of them had any history of reviewing, just done it for this and probably not customers.  No I didn't get anymore correspondence than the one email and I responded to say I was definitely not interested.  The company Schools Supplies Service appears to be pretty unsuccessful - I looked at their accounts. I go on what things feel like and this didn't feel true to me which is why I flagged it. I was promised 55 schools in my postcode. I feel sure that they don't have contracts with all those schools so they would not be in a position to offer them to a contractor. Perhaps they get the occasional enquiry that they would pass on, who knows.  Its really for you to come to your own conclusion of course.

I was promised 55 schools in my postcode. I feel sure that they don't have contracts with all those schools so they would not be in a position to offer them to a contractor.
Why would a school sign up to exclusively use Schools Supplies Service LTD as they would have no competition on price? They would open themselves up to complete rip off pricing with no options! Think about it any quote a trades person provide would have the £375 added onto the quote and the school would have to accept it!!! 

It's just a scam.

Exactly they must think we are mugs ???
The trust I work for has around 30 schools across Cornwall and Devon so it’s possible - that said they check out anyone working for them personally and wouldn’t let a third party pass on the work. For example last school I did I had to met the head teacher on site to discuss the work and access arrangements /scheduling (lots of schools have other activities on their premises even during holidays when most of my cleaning is done). Lastly the covid adds lots of red tape to these jobs so they are super careful about everything

Last edited by a moderator:
The trust I work for has around 30 schools across Cornwall and Devon so it’s possible - that said they bet anyone working for them personally and wouldn’t let a third party pass on work. For example last school I did I had to met the head teacher to discuss access are arrangements and scheduling (lots of schools have other activities on their premises even during holidays when most of my cleaning is done)
Do you deal with southerly point ????

The trust I work for has around 30 schools across Cornwall and Devon so it’s possible - that said they check out anyone working for them personally and wouldn’t let a third party pass on the work. For example last school I did I had to met the head teacher on site to discuss the work and access arrangements /scheduling (lots of schools have other activities on their premises even during holidays when most of my cleaning is done). Lastly the covid adds lots of red tape to these jobs so they are super careful about everything
Would they all share the same postcode? Surely not? I'd be very interested to know the answer.

Would they all share the same postcode? Surely not? I'd be very interested to know the answer.
They told me there were 65 private schools in BA post code which is quite a big area. They also claimed "There are 65 independent educational establishments within your areas and 55% of those have reached out to us looking for a Window Cleaner / Gutter work over the last two weeks."

They also said for a big school I could charge £2500 for 45 minutes work. 

Back