Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Black sealent on doors

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mooghy

Hello, how do we deal with the black sealant on white pvc doors, have a new customer with the black selant all away around the door it's always just coming off seems to never dry used a bit of pvc cleaner to clean up the door best I could but I came off on the cloth was like wiping a felt pen and then smudged all over the place, and chemicals to hardening or just remove and re doit?

Hello, how do we deal with the black sealant on white pvc doors, have a new customer with the black selant all away around the door it's always just coming off seems to never dry used a bit of pvc cleaner to clean up the door best I could but I came off on the cloth was like wiping a felt pen and then smudged all over the place, and chemicals to hardening or just remove and re doit?
I`d try stuff pink stuff paste. Moisten the door then apply the pink stuff with a cloth.

It sounds like the existing sealant has perished and I'd suggest you will have the devils own job cleaning it up.
For me, there would be only one option, remove the old sealant and replace with fresh.
Just my tuppence mind.

Are we talking about an issue with the black seal on a old white upvc door as sealant is something entirely different as in a sealant is silicone or similar

Nothing you can do on old gaskets it’s at the end of its life so starts to deteriorate & like a scared squid it will throw ink at ya every time you go near it, you gotta let the custy know that’s the case, don’t use any chems on it likely to make it worse

Are we talking about an issue with the black seal on a old white upvc door as sealant is something entirely different as in a sealant is silicone or similar
on a white pvc door around the trim of the door frame there is black what i assume to be sealant, might be silicone either way its a nightmare

on a white pvc door around the trim of the door frame there is black what i assume to be sealant, might be silicone either way its a nightmare
I refer to those houses as having The Black Spot. Clean the frames as best you can (Pink Stuff paste is good), explain to the customer that the problem will never go away unless they replace the seals. In future just WFP, rinse it well and don’t bother trying any Trad on them; the soap makes it worse and it ruins your cloths.

Barkeeper's friend works similarly to pink stuff and is less abrasive on upvc. Just try not to let the cloth touch the perished rubber again as it'll be back to square one.

As said before Pure water only should minimize leaching of the rubber each clean but be prepared for after snow or cold rain settling in the rubber seals to stain the frames/door again.

I have pleasantly & recently found that the supreme flocked brush can lighten quite a lot of black rubber staining on frames more so than I found DuPont bristled xline brushes did. ?

Barkeeper's friend works similarly to pink stuff and is less abrasive on upvc. Just try not to let the cloth touch the perished rubber again as it'll be back to square one.

As said before Pure water only should minimize leaching of the rubber each clean but be prepared for after snow or cold rain settling in the rubber seals to stain the frames/door again.

I have pleasantly & recently found that the supreme flocked brush can lighten quite a lot of black rubber staining on frames more so than I found DuPont bristled xline brushes did. ?
Right ok thats really interesting as I have a customer with that same problem. I also have a supreme flocked brush so will give it a go.

Right ok thats really interesting as I have a customer with that same problem. I also have a supreme flocked brush so will give it a go.
Might be worth a try. Not a silver bullet as the same problem doors and windows with rubber gaskets still looks like crying women with running mascara over time so I always expect to need to use BKF. ? Only adds a min or two and brings it back better (from a distance at least lol).

Seems window manufacturers realized external beading was outdated so went internal beading but kept massive rubber gaskets for 10-15 years til new materials came into use. But then there's certain windows where moss grows really easily in the textured gasket so another problem. And finally newest windows with the thin smooth grey gaskets and internal beading. No probs with moss or rubber leachate but some where the frames' corner welds aren't finished nicely you get water stains vertically down rather than following the diagonal welds... Ruins a nice new window in my opinion.

We need new windows in our house (40 years old at present) and how the welds are finished will be my sticking point as to where I get the windows from. Sorry for boring post but guess we all notice various frames day in day out and get a preference.

Latest Posts

Back