Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unreasonable people !

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Can't believe you've dropped a good custy for £2, personally would have laughed it off and moved on. If she hadn't accepted the higher price then that I could understand but lose £250+ customer a year for £2 is beyond me. But at the end of the day your business and your decision.
Absolutely agree with you....

6 weekly so 8 cleans  year (7 accounting for weather) so was £140 a year but i did neglect to say that if on holiday they skip so probably only 5/6 cleans a year in reality and was a trad clean so by binning them off i can add 2 wfp customers in their place @ £15/20 a clean as it was a full round and couldnt fit anybody else on it, now i can fit potentially £240/320 a year worth of work into the slot that was in reality £100/120 a year.

More than enough extra for a flask and biccies lol
So you really binned her because you'd under priced it in the early days and needed an excuse to get rid, nothing to do with the £2 ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just dumped a customer thats rubbed me up the wrong way

Elderly couple nice people bungalow plus conservatory cleaned traditionally (my wife dont like the windows left wet was why they wouldnt go WFP).

So today i get a snotty voice mail,

"hi Jon, 

Thanks for doing our windows 2 weeks ago, but youve put a bill in for £22 and not £20, i appreciate that the 2022 price is £22 but as you didnt come in December my husband and i believe that we should be charged £20, as technically this was Decembers clean and not Januarys, so ive transfered £20 only."

So i rang her and explained that in December we lost 4days in wk1 due to weather, we lost week 2 and 3 of 5 days of week 3 to covid, and the last few days before xmas shutdown wee lost due to a smashed windscreen on the van so we could not get to them as was explained clearly in txt messages to all customers. Her response was 

"Im sorry about the issues you had, but that doesnt alter the fact that we believe we should be charged 2021 price as you didnt come in December"

Politely told her "well thank you for your past business, but im afraid we wont be able to continue cleaning your windows, if youd like to give WCAW a call im sure theyll fit you in on their round"

Shd ended the call with "sorry you feel that way Jon, i thought you were more professional than that"

Had a really good rapport with this couple, always got a cuppa n biccies, always asked how my wife n kids were, some people believe theyre entitled to dictate to us because we are 'just window cleaners' absolutely baffling
One thing I've learned over the years doing this is how quickly 'nice' customers can change when they either want to cancel (for whatever reason) or you put the price up. 

I've had customers who I've had for years, always had a chat and made an effort with them only to become almost aggressive should they come to cancel and/or not happy about something. I've got no time for people like this and it can be baffling.

Can't believe you've dropped a good custy for £2, personally would have laughed it off and moved on. If she hadn't accepted the higher price then that I could understand but lose £250+ customer a year for £2 is beyond me. But at the end of the day your business and your decision.
I totally agree with what he did I would have done the same , he’s flat out with work and can afford to pick  and choose who he wants to work for , it’s a nice place to be , 

I totally agree with what he did I would have done the same , he’s flat out with work and can afford to pick  and choose who he wants to work for , it’s a nice place to be , 
I can pick and chose who I want to deal with as well but from the original post, in his words, they were lovely customers that had accepted a 10% price rise, made him tea and biscuits on every visit, asked about his family etc. Now, in my opinion, on that information to dump someone for £2 is daft as the next customer is probably not going to be any better. 

I can pick and chose who I want to deal with as well but from the original post, in his words, they were lovely customers that had accepted a 10% price rise, made him tea and biscuits on every visit, asked about his family etc. Now, in my opinion, on that information to dump someone for £2 is daft as the next customer is probably not going to be any better. 
You didn’t listen to the conversation and the tone the customers had with him so it’s hard to judge him . At the end of the day he done what he thought was correct for his business and I totally agree with him . 

When running a business I am there to make money not eat biscuits and drink tea , that might be nice but it’s not important, good customers do turn bad I  have had a few over the years , you have to be firm and stick to your guns and not let the customers dictate the rules , you wouldn’t go into Tesco and start trying to negotiate about the price of bananas you pay their price or go else ware why should we be any different. Customers can and do become friends but this can cause problems it’s difficult to keep a professional relationship with them . 

You didn’t listen to the conversation and the tone the customers had with him so it’s hard to judge him . At the end of the day he done what he thought was correct for his business and I totally agree with him . 
Having now read all posts, it's clear that he had one of those controlling customers who try to call the shots. It's not one incident that has caused him  to dump them, it's been coming a long time. Don't clean when I'm on holiday! Techichally it's Decembers clean! I don't want wfp! Then they're nice to him and ask about his family over tea and biscuits. It's been a manipulative relationship, and he's had enough. This last incident was the straw that broke the camels back! Then more manipulation, by questioning his professionalism! However, on reading the first post, it doesn't state all of the above facts.....

Having now read all posts, it's clear that he had one of those controlling customers who try to call the shots. It's not one incident that has caused him  to dump them, it's been coming a long time. Don't clean when I'm on holiday! Techichally it's Decembers clean! I don't want wfp! Then they're nice to him and ask about his family over tea and biscuits. It's been a manipulative relationship, and he's had enough. This last incident was the straw that broke the camels back! Then more manipulation, by questioning his professionalism! However, on reading the first post, it doesn't state all of the above facts.....
And that is what my initial reply was based on.

I didn't have to, I doubt very much she was a snarling pit bull and as I said, in the original reply, his business his decision. My business, on the original post, wouldn't have dumped them for £2. The fact you disagree is irrelevant because guess what, my business, my decision.

you wouldn’t go into Tesco and start trying to negotiate about the price of bananas you pay their price or go else ware why should we be any different.
I try and negotiate on insurance, hotels, new tyres, servicing costs etc etc, not one of those have turned round and said they're now not prepared to deal with me because I'm a bad customer. We're selling a service, not fruit and veg in a nationwide supermarket, if I wanted to haggle for food I'd go to a market to do it ?

I try and negotiate on insurance, hotels, new tyres, servicing costs etc etc, not one of those have turned round and said they're now not prepared to deal with me because I'm a bad customer. We're selling a service, not fruit and veg in a nationwide supermarket, if I wanted to haggle for food I'd go to a market to do it ?
While you are right to negotiate would you under pay after being told the price had gone up, have the work done then wait 2 weeks before paying less than you were told the charge was?

As they were told in advance that the prices were to rise for 2022 and they didn't object before the clean then I think they are being unfair not paying the full amount. 

As a noob I think I might have said something like 'as a goodwill gesture I will accept as I didn't clean as per schedule I will accept your lower payment on the understanding that the current charge is £22 going forward'.

If I had a full round and I could have earned significantly more I might have a different opinion and politely dumped them too. 

Here's another way to look at it and it isn't aimed directly at HWCS.

I clean commercial some jobs are on various schedules but lets say I have a 2 monthly commercial due in March that I notified in Jan of a new price increase in April.

For one reason or another I am late and the clean was delayed till April.I wouldn't charge them Aprils price.They were due in March I was late so it's my fault so I have to suck it up especially if they've agreed with the price increase and are happy to continue.

The same goes the other way lets say a builder quotes to build me a wall to carry out the work in December.For one reason or another(covid or broken down van)He can't do the job til Jan.In that time his prices have gone up so his delays have cost me money.Would I pay the increase?   No.

The delays are his problems not mine absorb the mistake or don't do the work simple as that.Nothing to do with haggling or being unreasonable.

Here's another way to look at it and it isn't aimed directly at HWCS.

I clean commercial some jobs are on various schedules but lets say I have a 2 monthly commercial due in March that I notified in Jan of a new price increase in April.

For one reason or another I am late and the clean was delayed till April.I wouldn't charge them Aprils price.They were due in March I was late so it's my fault so I have to suck it up especially if they've agreed with the price increase and are happy to continue.

The same goes the other way lets say a builder quotes to build me a wall to carry out the work in December.For one reason or another(covid or broken down van)He can't do the job til Jan.In that time his prices have gone up so his delays have cost me money.Would I pay the increase?   No.

The delays are his problems not mine absorb the mistake or don't do the work simple as that.Nothing to do with haggling or being unreasonable.
Unfortunately it doesn’t always work like that we are having a new kitchen fitted due to covid it’s been delayed by over 12 months the price has gone up since we paid the deposit and we are having to pay more than the agreed price , they haven’t charged us the full increase but it’s a fair bit more .

I dumped a customer over £2.50 last year. He was our furthest job at 13 miles and the only customer in his hamlet. About seven minutes past the next furthest. He had always been a good and pleasant customer. His Job was £25 @ 8 weekly. He was notified the day before that we were coming, as always. We got there and the side gate we normally use was locked. We did the one side we could get to and the front. He had a gate at the opposite corner but I didn't think to try it as I assumed that it would also be locked for security as we never ever used it. Why would anyone lock one gate and leave the other, which we never used unlocked? We left a card saying "Windows cleaned as promised, front and side only, £15". He transferred £12.50 without any communication with us. He said that half the job was done, and it wasn't his fault as the other gate was unlocked.  He had locked the gate we normally use to go on the school run.

We made a mmistake. We should have tried the other gate, fair enough. He made a mistake, thinking it was late and we weren't coming so locked the only gate we have ever used. Mistakes on both sides, that can happen, but once we made the decision on a fair price I wouldn't go back to someone who made a unilateral decision to pay less without communicating with us first.

The couple sound controlling to me. If the op had said ok and let them off £2 then it's principles isn't it. £2 is neither here nor there for both party's but for the customer to quibble over £2 is taking the p!55, it's just making an awkward situation that could have easily been avoided. 

One thing I've learned is to take a step back and have a good think before reacting.  It's easy to be as bad as the customer when you're out there working in all weathers and your mind is not focused on what you're trying to achieve, when someone says something that offends you it's easy to react.  

Like Patrick Swayze says in the film roadhouse 'be nice, be nice until the time has come... not to be nice'  ?

One thing I've learned is to take a step back and have a good think before reacting.  It's easy to be as bad as the customer when you're out there working in all weathers and your mind is not focused on what you're trying to achieve, when someone says something that offends you it's easy to react.  

Like Patrick Swayze says in the film roadhouse 'be nice, be nice until the time has come... not to be nice'  ?
Very true. Be the stronger party is always the best way to be. Once you've reacted you've lost the fight 

Latest Posts

Back