Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Business plan and Expectations.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have always believed its better for sole traders to focus on one thing if possible, as doing various services, you need to purchased, maintained and replaced more equipment, which can be allot financially.

But the older I get, I see the benefit to doing a few other things that's lighter work. But for now I will just be sticking to window cleaning.
I think all the add on jobs are harder work than window cleaning that’s why we charge a premium for them  

I have always believed its better for sole traders to focus on one thing if possible, as doing various services, you need to purchased, maintained and replaced more equipment, which can be allot financially.

But the older I get, I see the benefit to doing a few other things that's lighter work. But for now I will just be sticking to window cleaning.
Nothing beats experience. Multiple streams of income. I worked with Lafferty Construction 35 years ago. They focused on renovations and didn't do much else. The moment the renovations dried up, so did they but at the time new house building was beginning. In business one must be flexible like a flexible tree in the wind. Say a big window cleaning mob appear in your area and will clean all the windows for half price and you begin to lose customers then you have two choices, half your price or do add-ons to keep the money rolling in. Its the same with the high street which is dying but across the road on the internet is booming. If a company is unwilling to change and adapt then it eventually dies. That's what history has told me. But if you understand human behaviour and build a bond with your customers then its hard for them to dump you because they trust you and realise you can do other things which makes their life alot easier.

Nothing beats experience. Multiple streams of income. I worked with Lafferty Construction 35 years ago. They focused on renovations and didn't do much else. The moment the renovations dried up, so did they but at the time new house building was beginning. In business one must be flexible like a flexible tree in the wind. Say a big window cleaning mob appear in your area and will clean all the windows for half price and you begin to lose customers then you have two choices, half your price or do add-ons to keep the money rolling in. Its the same with the high street which is dying but across the road on the internet is booming. If a company is unwilling to change and adapt then it eventually dies. That's what history has told me. But if you understand human behaviour and build a bond with your customers then its hard for them to dump you because they trust you and realise you can do other things which makes their life alot easier.
I get what your saying but, if I was on my own my running cost would lower, which would help me charge less than one guy doing lots of things.

I would be shocked if I couldn't keep myself busy with window cleaning but who knows, I would sell up and move into something else I guess, if I was really failing to find work.

Do you find pressure washing easier or harder than window cleaning? and how do you find the demand for it in your area?

Do you find pressure washing easier or harder than window cleaning? and how do you find the demand for it in your area?
Its just far messier then sometimes you get hassle from neighbours if any mess goes into their area. The problem I have is space and weight in the van if I want to load my Vac and poles. I would rather do a gutter clear or 3 or 4 in a day than PW. PW is only seasonal where gutters are all year round now and now insurance has got involved there is a mandate to have them cleared every year.

Its just far messier then sometimes you get hassle from neighbours if any mess goes into their area. The problem I have is space and weight in the van if I want to load my Vac and poles. I would rather do a gutter clear or 3 or 4 in a day than PW. PW is only seasonal where gutters are all year round now and now insurance has got involved there is a mandate to have them cleared every year.
My though process, is that gutter vacs would strain my back much like WFPs. Where as PW would be a bit less wear and tear on the body. Its the cost of the systems, room in the van, and seasonal demand that has put me off it in the past. Just curious how it works for you.

My though process, is that gutter vacs would strain my back much like WFPs. Where as PW would be a bit less wear and tear on the body. Its the cost of the systems, room in the van, and seasonal demand that has put me off it in the past. Just curious how it works for you.
 Pressure washing is hard on the arms shoulders and back , especially when using a powerful machine and when using a lance with turbo as you are leaning in against the pressure , many also suffer from “ white finger” numbness in the fingers from the vibration when using it for  a while , it’s hard work compared to window cleaning , but nice for a change and very satisfying before and after the job 

99DEF58F-E226-45BB-9080-F47A85DF28C5.jpeg

8632CCA0-61DB-46A5-8E69-5F8E82D43D0E.jpeg

90F4A3FE-5EA7-42A5-895B-0E6DED5B4C99.jpeg

04CC09D2-C413-4BB1-928F-2D29E90208C4.jpeg

9FF2ADC8-A0A8-437D-8FBC-B4354D8BBBD7.jpeg

93093F1E-1882-4352-A606-2B907D573655.jpeg

B4716A3F-0D79-4D86-88F8-C18241135C61.jpeg

I constantly wear a back support when working. PW does make the customer very happy with the result which I have found. You need to spend alot of money on kit to make it easy. I made a grand on two days work but it was hard work.

My target was 100 customers within 3 months and I easily did it so there’s no reason that you can’t  just don’t fall into the trap of quoting cheap to get to your target quicker. 

I was lucky that I worked 4am-8am so I’d normally pop home have some breakfast get an hours kip and then go out canvassing until I hit a certain target. 

When I couldn’t door knock because it was too early or late I’d spend my time spamming the local FB groups which got me a few customers. 

Charge extra for the first cleans as you’ll soon become sick of them, I really don’t miss those days 

My target was 100 customers within 3 months and I easily did it so there’s no reason that you can’t  just don’t fall into the trap of quoting cheap to get to your target quicker. 

I was lucky that I worked 4am-8am so I’d normally pop home have some breakfast get an hours kip and then go out canvassing until I hit a certain target. 

When I couldn’t door knock because it was too early or late I’d spend my time spamming the local FB groups which got me a few customers. 

Charge extra for the first cleans as you’ll soon become sick of them, I really don’t miss those days 
Thats seriously impressive getting that many in three months! How long ago was it you managed this?!

I wont lie it was tempting to go in low, there was only one person today out canvassing that tried to haggle me over 3 quid, they had a lovely big house too! However I stuck to my guns and told them no thanks. 

Thats seriously impressive getting that many in three months! How long ago was it you managed this?!

I wont lie it was tempting to go in low, there was only one person today out canvassing that tried to haggle me over 3 quid, they had a lovely big house too! However I stuck to my guns and told them no thanks. 
Just remember it’s not the number of customers that’s important it’s price per job better to have 20 jobs at £20 than 40 jobs at £10  .

There is a thread on here by @HWCS I think titled something like '50 customers'. Grab a cuppa and find the thread, it's a great read.

I can’t stand people that haggle over a few quid you know they’re going to be problem customers from the get go so you’ve done right sticking to your guns. 

January 2018 I started so the timing wasn’t great but I still managed to get it done. I didn’t really have a choice to be honest I was skint & sinking into debt, I’d go out for 6/7 hours knocking doors get one £15 customer and go home celebrating ?

As @Pjj says don’t price low you’ll regret it, I’ve never looked into my competitors prices but from chatting to customers most charge £10 for a standard 3 bed semi (northern prices ??) I have always been £13-14 which I still think is too cheap. Being expensive has its pros as you’re cutting out the dross that just want the cheapest quote and are more than likely going to give you headaches in the future.  

Finally if you’ve plans to expand and go beyond the VAT threshold you need to be expensive from the get go because it bleeding hurts losing that 20% ?

Have a read of the thread mentioned above it’s definitely worth it 

I agree with the 'dont go in to cheap' replies, BUT the more compact you can make your work i believe you can be a tad cheaper, some will agree some wont.

For example: i have 1 estate where a 3bed semi standard (6 windows 2 doors) is £15 but there are only a very few on the estate, but 3 miles away there is an estate riddled with them so i knock them out at £13 but we can do 6 £13 ones in the time without moving the van in the same time it takes to do 2x £15 ones with having to move the van. 

But thats probably something to think about as you get busier.

Dont fall into the trap of a window cleaner i know that wont stop his van for less than £30, we both were told by a sucsessful windy that a stop for less than £30 isnt worth it.

He listened and struggled to pick up custys where as i ignored it and have picked up over 600 in 2.1/2yrs, and pretty much 80% of my stops have turned into 2/3/4 house stops anyway just bybword of mouth

Yes i have some underpriced work but that will be rectified in year3 when i do my first price increase.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a thread on here by @HWCS I think titled something like '50 customers'. Grab a cuppa and find the thread, it's a great read.

Theres the link to my journey thread if your interested, any questions just tag me in them, im no expert on everything (except birds, booze n bikes) but happy to give input where i can ?

As @Pjj says don’t price low you’ll regret it, I’ve never looked into my competitors prices but from chatting to customers most charge £10 for a standard 3 bed semi (northern prices ??) I have always been £13-14 which I still think is too cheap. Being expensive has its pros as you’re cutting out the dross that just want the cheapest quote and are more than likely going to give you headaches in the future.  
I think I have my prices right, right for what I'm happy earning for the work infront of me anyway, one customer said they had a window cleaner, asked for a quote anyway which she said was exactly what her current one charges, so I'm there or there abouts. 

Theres the link to my journey thread if your interested, any questions just tag me in them, im no expert on everything (except birds, booze n bikes) but happy to give input where i can ?
I've read it before, it's a great journey and I'm happy for you to be doing so well! Looking forward to being in your position haha.

For the minute, I'm not being fussy on where my work is (within reason) and where I need to stop, my only thing I haven't done, and won't be doing is haggling on price, as I know the way I'm pricing is already fair for my area and if I do, run the risk of being 'the cheap amateur that undercuts everyone'. I'm in no rush to build up a huge customer base, but I do have targets that will push me to get out. 

Thanks again  for everybody's replies!

Morning all,

As a couple of you may well be aware I'm just venturing into window cleaning and going to hopefully, all being well, I'm going to be buying a van mount system on Saturday. 

I've got 2000 leaflets good to go and my new uniform arriving today, and I plan to go canvassing Sunday. 

Now I'm trying to manage my expectations going forward on what my business will look like going into march/spring next year. But I also want to set targets as I think its good to have something to work towards.

So to that end, would a target of either 50/75/100 regular customers by that time be realistic? 

I'm lucky in the fact that I currently work 2 days, 2 nights and then get 4 off as a firefighter so I have ample time to go canvassing. And with that I'm hoping to average out at approx 2 customers per hour of canvassing.

Any advice is very welcome as most of you guys have been at this for years. 
If you are who I think you are from a FF forum, what happened to the coding? surely thats a more lucrative part time?!

If you are who I think you are from a FF forum, what happened to the coding? surely thats a more lucrative part time?!
No mate that's not me, I'm a few years older, and definitely can't code haha

I think I know who you're on about though, young lad, keen as mustard? 

No mate that's not me, I'm a few years older, and definitely can't code haha

I think I know who you're on about though, young lad, keen as mustard? 
Haha fair enough!
Yeah that’s the one, I think he had the same profile picture as you, apologies!!! 

Back