Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can anyone recommend a specific set of ladders??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We have been using a similar type of ladder. I have suggestions before choosing ladder,

• Check the stiles
  • Check the feet
  • Check locking mechanisms
  • Check the rungs

Thanks,minor point though,yours has 4 rungs on bottom this has 5
Well spotted. I had'nt noticed that. Same number of rungs overall which is what I went by in identifying. I expect the overall length must be about the same and the collapsed/stowing length. The ladder mitts on the top are great to protect property and I've even used them (very carefully, when I had no alternative) against glass. They came from B&q. I also use a ladder limb which plugs into the side of the rung to clip a bucket to when emptying gutters. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone recommend a good set of ladders to fit inside my van. Need to measure no more than 2.4m closed and I'm looking for maximum extension possible, ta chaps ?
Hi mate. I'm very confident the ladder I recommended is well enough below 2.4 metres collapsed. I'm not in a position to measure it at the moment. A day off work for medical stuff. 

Bored to tears, so I may be a bit of a nuisance on the forum for the next few hours. Apologies in advance guys, you're trying to get on with your day's work. ?

Davy G said:
Hi mate. I'm very confident the ladder I recommended is well enough below 2.4 metres collapsed. I'm not in a position to measure it at the moment. A day off work for medical stuff. 

Bored to tears, so I may be a bit of a nuisance on the forum for the next few hours. Apologies in advance guys, you're trying to get on with your all trying to get on with your day's work. Darn I did it again hit the quote button instead of the edit button. My son just measured the ladder for me. Its closed length is two metres. ?

Loft ladders in B&Q seen today £10    all in sale  in the ladder section.      Tried them,   these ones were very weak,    higher you go   started to sway,    only about 4 ft.  I will give these a miss.   feels like made  out of tin.  haha.   Maybe all right climbing over small fence or the like.      May just get one @ £10   handy round the house at low heights, 

thinking about it wish I got one,  triple also.    ill go up tomorrow

theres a triple extension ladder also, will fit inside van  £100.  more heavy duty     begrudge paying that much 

£61   off ebay   free delivery

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use this one. Simple, sturdy, light and easy to use. It's over five years old now, it's used several times most days and it's still sound. It can also be used as an A frame. It slides on edge onto a shelf in the side of the van and is held in place by a single bungee hook, making it super quick to deploy and re-stow. I bought it from B&q. I had a look when I saw this conversation but they didn't have any. I'd imagine they can still be got but I don't know where from. View attachment 17780View attachment 17780

I'm glad you put a photo of your ladders up. We have an identical pair which are just sitting in the garage. We used them happily for years for the same as you are using yours for. They are light weight and so easy to use.

Unfortunately, from the beginning of 2019 all ladders used for commercial purposes have to met the new ladder regulations of Class EN131.

These ladders of ours fall under the class 3 catagory and can only be used for occassional domestic work. (Domestic work is a home owner using the steps for a job in his own home. Even although we are working residential or domestic properties, we fall under the catagory of commercial users.)

https://www.ladders-direct.com/content/6-british-and-european-ladder-certification-standards

There are no threats that anyone using ladders conforming to earlier standards are banned, will be fined, etc. But I was concerned that if I had an accident and caused damage then I might have a claim issue against my insurance as I was using substandard equipment and the damage was as a result of my failure to upgrade my equipment.

The downside of me anyway is that the replacement step ladders to EN131 weight much more.

Thanks for that, Spruce. Our good friends the legislators again. I understand that we need standards but it gets a bit wearing at times, and they're not always right. Just one example : the amount of new cars on the road where the indicator is just an orange bulb, lost in the headlight. Often near the top where it gets hidden by reflected sunlight, so you have to stare and seek to see whether it's on. 

How does stuff like that get passed? 

Back