Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can growth be all year round rather than the summer ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It’s not difficult to get a reasonable income for a part timer. Try getting a second van full though. So 8 weekly probably 1,100 customers. Not so easy. 
I have three vans full with work mostly 4 weekly   and have turned away over 150 new jobs since lockdown as we just cannot do any more work we are booked up 14 weeks in advance for  UPVC cleans , soft washing, pressure washing , I could easily fill two more vans with work but not interested in expanding any more in fact Ime looking at down sizing to just one van again ASAP . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three vans full with work mostly 4 weekly   and have turned away over 150 new jobs since lockdown as we just cannot do any more work we are booked up 14 weeks in advance for  UPVC cleans , soft washing, pressure washing , I could easily fill two more vans with work but not interested in expanding any more in fact Ime looking at down sizing to just one van again ASAP . 
Yes I know what you mean. Every job I seem to do leads to another job in the same area. Looking at a gutter clear but the tiles are up next to the gutter so no access to the debris. They asked me for a solution and I said I would need to take about 2" off all the bottom row of tiles with my battery grinder. They have a few spare tiles so they will test it on them first to see if it works. There doesn't seem to be many reliable handymen going about up here even their window cleaner fell off his ladder and broke his ankle so not sure if he is coming back again.

How come fella? Just the stress of running a big operation getting to you is it? I do take my hat off to people like you it must be hard as an employer trying to put everybody elses needs before your own. Decent employers who care aBout their staff can often be under incredible mental strain, it’s a lot of responsibility i imagine? Really don’t think i could cope with it myself thats why we’ve only ever looked to keep the two of us occupied

How come fella? Just the stress of running a big operation getting to you is it? I do take my hat off to people like you it must be hard as an employer trying to put everybody elses needs before your own. Decent employers who care aBout their staff can often be under incredible mental strain, it’s a lot of responsibility i imagine? Really don’t think i could cope with it myself thats why we’ve only ever looked to keep the two of us occupied
I have just had enough of working so much the guys that work for  me are keen to buy the vans and there rounds , Ime 58 this year and have worked to many 15-18 hour days , Ime also in the Fireservice on a very busy station so out the bed several times a night most nights of the week , I just want to take it a bit easier , I don’t have any debts, mortgage etc so can afford to do far less than I am , and yes it can be stressful organising thousands of customers . ??

I have just had enough of working so much the guys that work for  me are keen to buy the vans and there rounds , Ime 58 this year and have worked to many 15-18 hour days , Ime also in the Fireservice on a very busy station so out the bed several times a night most nights of the week , I just want to take it a bit easier , I don’t have any debts, mortgage etc so can afford to do far less than I am , and yes it can be stressful organising thousands of customers . ??
Yeah mate clearly there’s no reason for you to be putting yourself through all that any more, everyone needs a taste of the easy life at some point. Its too short to be all work and no play. You’ve thoroughly earned a wind down by the sound of it ??

Have you considered franchise or if you trust them rent your rounds for x amount of years and sit back and relax and have a nice easy little earner until you retire  

Have you considered franchise or if you trust them rent your rounds for x amount of years and sit back and relax and have a nice easy little earner until you retire  
I had thought about it briefly but it get a franchise up and running is an expensive process, if they rent the rounds then I still have to manage them and sort out any issues , I would prefer to just sell the lot and then it’s up to them to deal with day to day issues leaving me free . 

Totally agree more involved running 3 or more vans than people think.

Well done for the Fireservice we need brave people like you ? 

I never understand this andAn always suspicious of these sorts of claims.  We have nearly 3,000 customers and 6 vans. We only get work when we look for it. Maybe different where you are? 

I never understand this andAn always suspicious of these sorts of claims.  We have nearly 3,000 customers and 6 vans. We only get work when we look for it. Maybe different where you are? 
im very surprised at this.......i have 350+ jobs as a sole trader and my round has been self sustaining for many years.....all my work comes from word of mouth and recommendation...and being seen out and about working....

We have over 4,000 customers at last count there is very little competition hear and we also get dozens of  referrals and wLk ups each month especially over the last 6 months , if you think ime  not telling the truth that’s up to you but why would I lie ?? What have I to gain ??? 

We have over 4,000 customers at last count there is very little competition hear and we also get dozens of  referrals and wLk ups each month especially over the last 6 months , if you think ime  not telling the truth that’s up to you but why would I lie ?? What have I to gain ??? 
4000 customers 4 weekly with 3 vans? So each van does 66 houses a day? ?

Mum was in the service and I wanted to join(went to an open day with 2k people going for 6 jobs. Passed all the tests just after leaving army but always someone fitter etc).

The **** my mum saw plus doing it at night every 2 days 2 nights then 4 off makes me feel lucky in a way as I don't need to see it (although seen guys missing limbs etc).

That's stressful enough without the 2nd job.

Scraping a kid off train tracks isn't  a fun job.

Respect to anyone in the service. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m less than convinced to be honest. ?
Tel you what come down and come out with one of our vans for  the week and see how it’s done ??? , we have days when doing modern three bed semis ware we do 7 per hour per day per man so that’s a total of 112 houses per day per van , also bare in mind we do a lot of large commercial in that 4000+ customers I expect you won’t believe that either , but it’s a fact , if you want pm me and I’ll send you a link to our web site and you can take a look for yourself , the pictures below are a tiny selection of what we do I could post thousands of pictures but not enough space on hear to do it ???

73A356AE-D9F9-46A8-9406-259DB4688BAE.jpeg

E1B48A8E-4387-4A6F-AC1D-CE713C363897.jpeg

654C43BF-2D66-4543-966D-A34619C7F42C.jpeg

1F86AD21-7464-4EBE-83C9-E3625A7760A6.jpeg

22A1BAA7-CE43-495C-87E8-EE291CE0B833.jpeg

6BDC6FE4-F668-40DA-BB94-941A50C37274.png

Back