Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can the quality of 0ppm water be different depending on source?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

I've recently changed how I get my water and even though it reads exactly the same 0ppm reading, well the cleanliness of the windows seems to be better. It's like there is more of a slippery effect on the glass means the water running off it cleaner, less sticking on the glass.

Just wondering, once the water is 0ppm, what else is left in the water? Wondering if what's left has any effect on how the water behaves.

The budget TDS meters most people use (even branded ones) are only giving you a parts per million reading. There are meters (expensive) that can read parts per billion. So it is possible your new source of water is 'more pure' than the old stuff - that said I have no idea if that's what is making the difference for you.

The budget TDS meters most people use (even branded ones) are only giving you a parts per million reading. There are meters (expensive) that can read parts per billion. So it is possible your new source of water is 'more pure' than the old stuff - that said I have no idea if that's what is making the difference for you.
Cheers, I know about that, but just wondering if there is anything else in there, like not mineral deposits but maybe the chlorine is making a difference? Or something else that's in there that isn't part of our purification process.

Cheers, I know about that, but just wondering if there is anything else in there, like not mineral deposits but maybe the chlorine is making a difference? Or something else that's in there that isn't part of our purification process.
The membranes can filter out dissolved solids, particles, ions even larger bacteria but they're not as good at chemical contaminants like chlorine or its by products or dissolved gasses. The chlorine thankfully gets removed in the carbon prefilters as it can damage the membranes.
There may be other chemicals that make it through though.

My water quality (after RO and DI) changed for the worse when I moved house (only about a mile and half). I'm in a hard water area. Old house was around 300 from the tap, but the water was better than where I moved to even though the tds dropped to about 260. Definitely seems more calcium in the water where we moved to ( I have clear housing on the sediment filter and they need replacing quicker too). I have noticed a difference aswell a few times where I've needed to use a spotless water station. I thought it was just me at first, but I was working with my wife and she also said she thought it was a bit better - slightly quicker cleaning power and better sheeting on the glass (although not enough to warrant using all the time for the cost).

Well we use 2 different homes to fill up our tanks with R/O Di van mounted systems. They are also from a tap TDS of 300+ and a 120 TDS. We also use numerous Spotless Water sites country wide, as well as an independent pure water seller in Bordon, and have never noticed any difference in cleaning speed or results

Last edited:
I've recently changed how I get my water and even though it reads exactly the same 0ppm reading, well the cleanliness of the windows seems to be better. It's like there is more of a slippery effect on the glass means the water running off it cleaner, less sticking on the glass.

Just wondering, once the water is 0ppm, what else is left in the water? Wondering if what's left has any effect on how the water behaves.
I use rainwater throug DI most of the time , its greenish but fine with no spots and pure blue in in color when i run tapwater thru RO and DI.
At first i thougt it was bad, but 0.0 TDS

I use rainwater throug DI most of the time , its greenish but fine with no spots and pure blue in in color when i run tapwater thru RO and DI.
At first i thougt it was bad, but 0.0 TDS
That's a perfect example. The TDS is reading exactly the same, but the water has to be different as it's a different colour. It's like a visible example of what I'm talking about. The thing is, is there a difference for cleaning? For me it seems like there is a difference but trying to find what's left in the water to be able to work out the reason why is quite difficult.

To put it another way, we know that the mineral deposits make a difference, we see that if we use tap water and then switch to pure water, the dissolved mineral solids dry on the glass. Strip out the mineral solids and we find the water drys clear.

We know that 1ppm makes a difference, some swear it doesn't, some swear that it does... but at some point that 'parts per million' I emphasise 'per million' because we're talking microscopic differences here.... well we know that these microscopic differences do make a difference.

So water that is 0pppm could still be different in different ways. It might have all the minerals stripped out of it, but there will be other gases, bacteria, particles of things still in there and it's these things that I'm questioning if they're making a difference in how the water behaves.

That's a perfect example. The TDS is reading exactly the same, but the water has to be different as it's a different colour. It's like a visible example of what I'm talking about. The thing is, is there a difference for cleaning? For me it seems like there is a difference but trying to find what's left in the water to be able to work out the reason why is quite difficult.

To put it another way, we know that the mineral deposits make a difference, we see that if we use tap water and then switch to pure water, the dissolved mineral solids dry on the glass. Strip out the mineral solids and we find the water drys clear.

We know that 1ppm makes a difference, some swear it doesn't, some swear that it does... but at some point that 'parts per million' I emphasise 'per million' because we're talking microscopic differences here.... well we know that these microscopic differences do make a difference.

So water that is 0pppm could still be different in different ways. It might have all the minerals stripped out of it, but there will be other gases, bacteria, particles of things still in there and it's these things that I'm questioning if they're making a difference in how the water behaves.
Okay i havent really thougt about this before, im only concerned about it dries spotfree, i see your point thoug! I def noticed diff behavior whether im running cold or hot, hot water Seem to act more liquid and run better. But costwise i tend to run cold more often these days when my tankwater is 15-20 degrees anyway

Latest Posts

Back