Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Carbon elite poles

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Today we were vaccing a 4 storey house with big turfs in the gutters tried lifting one out and this is the result , mighty crack !,,,,,

Attachments

• IMG_3338.jpeg
    IMG_3338.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3337.jpeg
    IMG_3337.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 23
**** when that happens especially if you're just lifting a tuft out... If they are under a year old you can get a free replacement. I got two of Spinaclean.. But I am out of warranty now. At £160 for a replacement per pole I won't be buying them again.

I snapped mine lifting the pole of the ground.

Maybe you can cut the damage out and put a ring of electrical tape where the rib was and use it?

**** when that happens especially if you're just lifting a tuft out... If they are under a year old you can get a free replacement. I got two of Spinaclean.. But I am out of warranty now. At £160 for a replacement per pole I won't be buying them again.

Maybe you can cut the damage out and put a ring of electrical tape where the rib was and use it?

Very much doubt that would work.

Only time I've snapped one, except release cuff cracking when lifting 40' poles off the floor, is by catching the side of a metal gutter

This was lifting a turf out of the gutter at 40 feet high I had a hold of it lifted it out of the gutter and the pole was straight up no angle on it at all then a might crack was like a clap of thunder and the pole snapped it was the top one the turf fell to the ground and that was it , just glad it wasn’t any higher we have done stuff up to 55-60 feet but always felt uncomfortable at that height with the elite poles as the bend on them was horrendous, we used to use carbon fiber tubes poles before and regularly used them at over 50 feet and no sign of any bend .
looking to the future not sure what to do , I like the clamp poles rather than taper fit , but am now a bit warey of theses poles but to be fair we have done many hundreds of jobs and this is the first time one has snapped. . Anyone have any other suggestions for carbon clamped poles ? Might give Julia @GVS Julia Martin a ring and have a chat , don’t know what there carbon poles are like ?..

I'd be trying that

I'd be trying that
Mine are well out of warranty I wouldn’t have the cheek to try that they have been an excellent company to deal with their customer service is amazing , I think there poles are the week link to be honest . It’s only one broken pole I have just been looking on GVS website problem is you can’t tell what a pole is like until you try it So could be no better .

GVS are a lot cheaper, dont know about the quality .... There's not really much to pick from.. The elites seem the best on the market.

Best thing to do is call Spinaclean mention what happened and ask them as a loyal customer what is the best price for replacements sections. No point paying the list price they always help out..

Mine are well out of warranty I wouldn’t have the cheek to try that they have been an excellent company to deal with their customer service is amazing , I think there poles are the week link to be honest . It’s only one broken pole I have just been looking on GVS website problem is you can’t tell what a pole is like until you try it So could be no better .
I was on about trying the repair even if they end up being back up poles.

I have the gvs poles only 2 weeks old but time will tell

I was on about trying the repair even if they end up being back up poles.

I have the gvs poles only 2 weeks old but time will tell
I don’t think it could be used as it’s also split going up the centre joining seam I couldn’t get a picture of that bit due to it being black it wouldn’t show up , ime not worried about buying a new section it was the fact that it broke the way it did that bothered me didn’t fill me with confidence that it won’t happen again

I don’t think it could be used as it’s also split going up the centre joining seam I couldn’t get a picture of that bit due to it being black it wouldn’t show up , ime not worried about buying a new section it was the fact that it broke the way it did that bothered me didn’t fill me with confidence that it won’t happen again
Still good back ups even minus the one broken.

I've got the clamped gvs poles good so far do feel abit thin especially when you scrape the end across the floor ? but so far feel like a solid pole, but only set I've ever had so can't compare

They have a 'centre join seam'? I assumed the carbon poles would be spiral wound in multiple directions? I wonder if different companies use different 'laying up' patterns as that should influence the strength/flexibility?

They have a 'centre join seam'? I assumed the carbon poles would be spiral wound in multiple directions? I wonder if different companies use different 'laying up' patterns as that should influence the strength/flexibility?
This has split up a centre join line it’s strange I can’t get pictures of it as it’s black but it looks like a definite join I will give Rob a ring and ask him

Carbon fibre tubes ones are like you describe but these are a very poor quality compared to the carbon fibre tubes ones they are ok but delicate , I like the elite poles but now a bit afraid of this happening again and completely coming apart and hitting something or someone

Could it not just have been the case at a guess that there has always been a manufacturing fault with this section if you have used it countless times lifting some heavy turfs etc then it's just eventually snapped,

off subject a little I have had some 3k carbon wfp sections in use for a few years and one day last week I felt like there was some flex towards the top of No2 section it has never taken any knocks but it had fractured well below where the base of the No1 section sits within No2 when fully extended I've never had this happen in over 10 years of using carbon poles, this wouldn't stop me buying Gardiner poles though.

Didn't Austin say many years ago the the elites are not made out of carbon? He got in touch with Spinaclean about it...

Didn't Austin say many years ago the the elites are not made out of carbon? He got in touch with Spinaclean about it...
I think they are carbon but a low grade ime going to phone Rob in a minute the vac is now playing up again like it did when it blew up the other year got sparks and white dust coming out of the air exhaust not the engine exhaust.

Last edited:
Just spoken to mark at spinner clean they are going to organise collection of the vac after Christmas it’s still working but making a hell of a racket and vibrating like mad white and rusty red smoke is coming out of the air exhaust from the compressor like it did last time he said they have sold around 2,000 of them and only had a problem with around 5 , Sod’s Law I have a problem one ??? it’s well out of warranty but spinner cleans customer service is 100% you really could not ask for more , it’s just annoying when we are flat out with gutter cleans that this has happened again . @Part Timer have you had any issues like this with yours ? I had one of the first 20 that were made and thought maybe they had altered the design with the new ones but apparently not , so until they get it back and strip it down don know what’s happening but think it’s the rotors in the compressor jamming up again , they said last time it was a manufacturing fault so replaced it free of charge although it was out of warranty, so am a bit concerned that the same thing has happened again .

Yep been there as well.
I cracked my first one (had them 3 years so can’t complain) a few weeks ago. Cracked the middle one when using all 6 on a high dormer bit.

I’ve been putting off buying a new one as they are so expensive for they are. But will get another 2 probably after new year, as I will need 7 poles for a new high job I’ve picked up.
As soon as they crack, I find taping, glueing etc doesn’t work. As you need to give them a push, pull shake etc when clearing out gutters.

trouble with carbon fibre is its very light and strong but over the years it does tend to degrade. Just look at the titan submersible for example. I had 6 or 7 poles stuck together and one of those snapped the whole thing came crashing down. Talk about a heart stopping moment! Having said said they weren`t the same quality standard as elite poles. I use the GVS ali ones now but I appreciate they are heavier. Don`t do any commercial or industrial clears so I can get away with it.

Latest Posts

Back