Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Chemicals needed for first clean?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I sometimes apply it using backpack and pole and then use van mount to scrub and rinse

No point wasting chems

Or when i do roofs i apply and then scrub with the water off then rinse with hose and tap

ive used upvcmax and tfr20 sory dave and simon but i found it no were near as good as scott dunnings tfr20 i used it at a low dose 250 mill to 5 leters of water  were tfr20 os mixed 200 mill 5 leters of water ive now mixed the upvcmax a lot stronger so maby that makes a difference ??  the next job ill no for shore

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really need to use chemicals to clean windows then they haven't been cleared for years. All I would say is use a little extra water and scrub a bit longer. Never come across any glass that won't clean up with water. 
We're not talking about glass cleaning mate 

https://aimscleaninghub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/UPVC-MAX.pdf

No matter what the supplier says, the data sheet that they supply indicates that its a hazardous liquid that is diluted. Personally, I feel rather uncomfortable with the thought of using a chemical like this on a customer's property. If it can cause "serious eye damage" then what are the other ramifications to using it?

I've noted that Sodium Metasilicate Pentahydrate is used in its manufacture and am aware that it is more gentle in cleaning action than sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) and used in a variety of every day commercial cleaning applications. But that doesn't change my concerns (or voicing them) about the surrounding effects of spraying it on with water spray droplets being carried by the wind for some distance (one of the issues with the spread of legionnaires from cooling towers.)

For the last few years we have mainly used pure water as per @Part Timer post. Any stubborn stains are removed with a squirt of Jif cream on the brush head and a scrub. For a number of years I always paid special attention to the customers surrounding area on subsequent cleaning visits to ensure that the Cif residue hadn't effected the vegetation close by.

My concern as a society is that we are just too reliant on a quick fix - in this instance, chemicals. The very fact that @Dave B has sprayed some on his hands to show the customer the chemical is safe tells me that the customer he demonstrated this to wasn't happy to begin with, especially if @Dave B sprayed water over the grass and flowers in the surrounding areas before and after cleaning.

Maybe my views are overly extreme and influenced by the doorstep presence of the old ICI chemical works. I remember how my German Colleagues at Bosch in Leinfelden (near Stuttgart) blamed the death of the Swabian Black Forrest area on the pollution from the ICI chemical plant back in the 1980's. We often see the burn off of hazardous gasses from their towers which can go on for weeks lighting up the night sky with an orange glow and wonder how much of this escapes and damages our health and that of the environment. I'm not an activist, more of a concerned citizen voicing an opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on the subject. Using a TFR  like ubik or virosol is overall the easiest if you don't want to go to the expense of buying a backpack and setting up a spare pole as spray lance.

Then adding a strong mix in a small spray bottle then spraying onto brush head and giving frames and good scrub will fetch them up nicely that's what I do as its by far the quickest and easiest method, I use a old and battered ultimate brush for first cleans.

Back on the subject. Using a TFR  like ubik or virosol is overall the easiest if you don't want to go to the expense of buying a backpack and setting up a spare pole as spray lance.

Then adding a strong mix in a small spray bottle then spraying onto brush head and giving frames and good scrub will fetch them up nicely that's what I do as its by far the quickest and easiest method, I use a old and battered ultimate brush for first cleans.

I still half half a 5 liter container of Ubik on the van. I honestly didn't see much of a difference between using it and pure water tbh. We haven't used it in 3 years.

Finials in that state get the 2% hypo treatment and then just hosed off after i have sprayed the rest of the roof and left long enough for a cuppa

Would rather spend 20 minutes drinking tea and waiting than scrubbing

Mud buster : mixed with water. 25ltr would last u a few years. A wee splash into bucket of water and dip ur pole & brush into bucket & apply brush on gutters walking fast only to apply, do one side of house like this first then go back to where u starting and get scrubbing: for this one I use customers water and keep price not over the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Sorry new to this upvc max would I put this in tank or on brush sorry for silly questions lol

In a bucket of water that will carry with u as u work. I find the rectangular window cleaning bucket the best to be able to put brush head into as I'm working. Never put any chem into ur pure water tank.

Sorry new to this upvc max would I put this in tank or on brush sorry for silly questions lol

You can put it on your brush and start cleaning or equally you could mix it in a sprayer and spray on them start cleaning 

20170817_152302.jpg20170817_152935.jpg

Well I used upvc max today and it's general cleaning power is very good. Upvc came up nice and it worked fine on the painted front door and frame which is a nice plus.

the ingrained dirt was not very strong since theses are newer windows. As seen in the pictures above

my brush could not remove this dirt no matter how hard I scrubbed it.

When I scratched it with my finger nail it came off then I tired a magic sponge on and that worked as well.

How ever if I have to go that far to get the perfect finish I might as well buy solvent cleaner and a jumbo kitchen roll and call it restoration and charge more.

i have a conny roof next week to try it on as well.

At this point I say it's a proper upvc cleaner and any new window cleaner that wants a safe product to use its a very good one.

ubic 2000 does carry a small amount of risk and when your not used to window cleaning it can make the job alot more stressful.

Overall I am happy with upvc max but I still need to do more tests before I make my final decision on weather it becomes my main detergent for 1st cleans rec.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Latest Posts

Back