Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Putting line x over ply

WCF

Help Support WCF:

slippy

If my engine hasn't blown up from putting petrol in it was going to get it line x.  I have ply around wheel arches and the guy recommended putting line x over the ply.  Thought most people put it underneath then the ply back over it?  He also said best to line x over ply on the floor.  I was going to get it put straight on the metal then throw some ply over that.  Gripper tank etc put it straight on metal.  Think the ply protects the van. 

Hoping to have van for another ten years it's 2013.  I spill water all the time and getting an onboard RO at some point in the future.  It's only £385 for line x for my Peugeot Expert. Line x is the best going, isnt' it?  Gripper tank and Varitec want over £700 for this stuff- looks like a bargain to me.

http://vpslinex.co.uk/     Spoke to Richard.   In Bristol

Hoping to have van for another ten years it's 2013.  I spill water all the time and getting an onboard RO at some point in the future.  It's only £385 for line x for my Peugeot Expert. Line x is the best going, isnt' it?  Gripper tank and Varitec want over £700 for this stuff- looks like a bargain to me.

http://vpslinex.co.uk/     Spoke to Richard.   In Bristol
To be fair it looks good but I just don't see that it's worth 4x the price of Protectakote. It won't do any more of a job than Protectakote would. I'm new to all this but I can't help thinking that money would be better spent on different brush heads or uniforms, maybe a website. Your customers ain't gonna look in the van. I also wonder if these van mounted systems are all they say they are. I built my own with very little technical knowledge but now if something breaks I know how to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair it looks good but I just don't see that it's worth 4x the price of Protectakote. It won't do any more of a job than Protectakote would. I'm new to all this but I can't help thinking that money would be better spent on different brush heads or uniforms, maybe a website. Your customers ain't gonna look in the van. I also wonder if these van mounted systems are all they say they are. I built my own with very little technical knowledge but now if something breaks I know how to fix it.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one.

The Protectakote on my van is 8 years old. The only issue was wearing at the back with taking the hose reels in and out. Would sppedliner stood up to that any better? We now have a piece of rubber matting that the hose reels sit on. The inside of the vans floor is no problem - its just rusting away from underneath, so even speedliner wouldn't prevent that.

We got 4 liters of Protectakote which cost about £75 back then and a bit of graft to prepare the surface. 4 liters was far too much and we put on a second coat.

We fiberglassed the back of son's van as its classed as a car derived van with the cargo floor being higher than the footwells. The carpets in his previous van always smelt of damp as they were always wet. We turned the back of this van into a tub so the only way spilt water could escape is out of the back doors.

On a previous thread recently people were complaining about protectacote and recommending fibre glassing lol.    Still havent got a tank fitted but spill all the time with my barrels and bet there will be leaks when finally get tank with RO fitted.  For £385 that's cheap for line x.  £350 cheaper than Grippertank and Varitec.   I have to take the ply off the wheel arches and clean and dry the van myself before they do it.  I have to screw them back in myself.  

How do I get them off then put them back after the line x has been put on?

DSC_0071.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
yes have to agree with P4Dstar if you build your own system something stops working you know how to find and fix it.Yes van looks great but does anybody look in it.I keep my doors closed and locked too many opportunists looking to steal whatever they can.Spare pole and brushes are costly to replace.If your vans left open insurance wont want to know.

I did my ply lined sides and floor with concrete floor paint which is waterproof and then a couple of coats of yaucht  varnish completely waterproof and less than £20.

On a previous thread recently people were complaining about protectacote and recommending fibre glassing lol.    Still havent got a tank fitted but spill all the time with my barrels and bet there will be leaks when finally get tank with RO fitted.  For £385 that's cheap for line x.  £350 cheaper than Grippertank and Varitec.   I have to take the ply off the wheel arches and clean and dry the van myself before they do it.  I have to screw them back in myself.  

View attachment 11879
With great difficulty! If you're paying that amount for it I would rip the wheel arches and ply flooring up and get my monies worth. I wouldn't waste time putting them back either. I bought my van from a plumber and he had this thick corrugated plastic lining it so I decided just to do the floor.

Lots of people argue that waterproofing the van isn't worthwhile nowadays because the van floor will far outlast the engine in the van and or the suspension. My neighbours do car valeting and were telling me how they (Father and son) Have had the same Citroen berlingo vans since 2007. its always a little wet in there and often gets flooded. Doesn't matter how well you keep the van, once you're done with it no one will want if they know its been used to carry water. I couldn't bring myself to just leave it so I went for a tin of protectakote. My wheel arches ain't boxed in so I painted it on them but not up the walls. Seems to work perfectly fine.

The best idea I saw before I decided to just do the floor was to fibreglass the back the use some roofing top coat over the top of the fibre glass. A roofer recommended this;

http://gbr.liquidplastics.sika.com

I just can't picture how they are gonna make the solid waterproof surface you are looking for. Just look in the bottom right of the pic, how are they gonna plug the gap between the ply and the van. Over time the ply ill surely shift slightly and create a nice little gap for the water to get in and sit under. If you put fibreglass down you can safely make a full bowl in the back and even with the top coat you're only looking at £150ish.

With great difficulty! If you're paying that amount for it I would rip the wheel arches and ply flooring up and get my monies worth. I wouldn't waste time putting them back either. I bought my van from a plumber and he had this thick corrugated plastic lining it so I decided just to do the floor.

Lots of people argue that waterproofing the van isn't worthwhile nowadays because the van floor will far outlast the engine in the van and or the suspension. My neighbours do car valeting and were telling me how they (Father and son) Have had the same Citroen berlingo vans since 2007. its always a little wet in there and often gets flooded. Doesn't matter how well you keep the van, once you're done with it no one will want if they know its been used to carry water. I couldn't bring myself to just leave it so I went for a tin of protectakote. My wheel arches ain't boxed in so I painted it on them but not up the walls. Seems to work perfectly fine.

The best idea I saw before I decided to just do the floor was to fibreglass the back the use some roofing top coat over the top of the fibre glass. A roofer recommended this;

http://gbr.liquidplastics.sika.com

I just can't picture how they are gonna make the solid waterproof surface you are looking for. Just look in the bottom right of the pic, how are they gonna plug the gap between the ply and the van. Over time the ply ill surely shift slightly and create a nice little gap for the water to get in and sit under. If you put fibreglass down you can safely make a full bowl in the back and even with the top coat you're only looking at £150ish.

Not sure I was clear with my explanation.  I was gonna take ply off arches before the line x was done. But he line x would cover all the metal floor and six inches up walls. I would then try and put ply back over line x. 

Regarding rust-  there are small rust marks appearing in the corners of the van floor already.   The ply floor is totally knackered; been drenched with water so I undid screws and lift it out regularly.  Was thinking of putting it over line x to further protect floor when the line x has been done. 

Line x is claiming to be a highly durable non slip work surface. I can't see why you'd want ply on top of that when you already pay for a proper long lasting solution?

I'm getting my van done with line x as soon as my local guy gets his shop up and running again. 6 cm up the sides so any spills are contained, and the side door footing so I don't slip when taking the ladder off. Had a local metalworker do his thing so I don't get water into the drivers area.IMG_20171024_145305.jpg

View attachment 11879

Have a careful look on the wheel arch boxes. You well see either a couple of screws on the side that they used to screw the ply onto the wheel arch or you may find them on top. Then you will need to remove the brown silicone breading that they put around the edges to release it from the floor and sides.

If you again look carefully you will see that the ply is secured to the floor with self drill screws which you will need to remove. Depending on the fitter, the aluminium strips at the doors are held on with screws that will probably go through the ply and into the floor as well.

Take the ply out and bin it no need to put it back over the top.

I have speed liner on the floor and up the arches it's a great product looks as good as it did new.

It also has a life time guarantee.

Take the ply out and bin it no need to put it back over the top.

I have speed liner on the floor and up the arches it's a great product looks as good as it did new.

It also has a life time guarantee.
I agree. Just flooded the van trying to fix some stupid error on the pump. While mopping it out I thought of this thread and then thought how much of a ball ache it would have been to have ply over the top! Its either put the coating on the ply or get rid of the ply all together for me.

I might not bother with ply on floor, but was going to put the ply back over the wheel arches because wanted to build a shelf on top of it to put tools etc keep them off floor.   Thought that would take the weight of lots of tools on it. 

Still can't find screws, think it's nailed together. 

Back