Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

X-Line electric hose reel - any good or is there better in small foot print?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

I have been thinking my next upgrade will be an electric hose reel and through floor rollers (grippa rollers seem best).

There seem to be about 4 or 5 different hose reels about but most seem massive, the X-Line one is 50 cm x 30 cm x 50cm so only 30cm wide which I like the idea of. My problem is that there doesn't seem to be much info about it or peoples real world reviews. It's currently on a 10% off deal for this weekend which makes it even more attractive at £453 inc vat plus about £50 delivery with rollers and new hose a total of about £650.

I still need to get under the van to see if I can fit underfloor rollers without removing spare wheel as I would prepare to keep it if possible.

So my question really is anyone know anything about the X-Line powered hose reel?

Thanks

They look abit thin for me like they wouldn't hold much hose on them.

I've had the water works 3d and I've now got the purefreedom electric reel which I must say I absolutely abuse daily had it 11 months and it hasn't missed a beat.

Most things I've had from xline are pretty good but obviously you can't base anything on that.

They look abit thin for me like they wouldn't hold much hose on them.

I've had the water works 3d and I've now got the purefreedom electric reel which I must say I absolutely abuse daily had it 11 months and it hasn't missed a beat.

Most things I've had from xline are pretty good but obviously you can't base anything on that.
I think they are the old waterworks hd reels we used to have them they will easily hold 100 meters of microbore and 30 meters of pole hose

Attachments

• 3F2AB2FC-7D68-454F-A7CC-AEB3F44F3919.jpeg
    3F2AB2FC-7D68-454F-A7CC-AEB3F44F3919.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 17
I had an xline hose reel in my first van, I believe it was one of the older ones they sold and was a waterworks reel - garbage, the chain popped off multiple times and I had to take the reel to bits to get it back on.

Spend that bit extra on a PureFreedom reel, you won't regret it, I've got two and I love them

I had an xline hose reel in my first van, I believe it was one of the older ones they sold and was a waterworks reel - garbage, the chain popped off multiple times and I had to take the reel to bits to get it back on.

Spend that bit extra on a PureFreedom reel, you won't regret it, I've got two and I love them
The PureFreedom ones do look well built but they are also quite a bit wider. My van isn't that big (new shape Partner) and the wheel arches are quite intrusive as they have a trim panel that goes quite high so the reel would have to be pushed more towards the middle and I have racking on the other side. It wouldn't leav me much space in between.
Think I will have to have a proper measure up and see what space I can manage.
Cheers.

The PureFreedom ones do look well built but they are also quite a bit wider. My van isn't that big (new shape Partner) and the wheel arches are quite intrusive as they have a trim panel that goes quite high so the reel would have to be pushed more towards the middle and I have racking on the other side. It wouldn't leav me much space in between.
Cheers.
I can't be 100% sure but as PureFreedom are an engineering company I'm sure they'd be able to construct some sort of frame to suit your exact needs, I've got one of their double stack frames at the moment and I've had things altered by them in the past to fit better in my old van

Cheers.
I appreciate it's an extra expense but if you can fabricate a stand over your wheel arch it will allow you to get PF reel.

I appreciate it's an extra expense but if you can fabricate a stand over your wheel arch it will allow you to get PF reel.
Cheers for the advice but unfortunately the way the rear is constructed I can't just rairs the reel as the arch has a panel that makes it flush with the side, maybe it just needs to be significantly higher. Maybe a unistrut frame would work. Think I will do some measuring tomorrow.
It does seem like the recommended reel is the pure freedom which does look the best engineered of all the reels.
Cheers

Cheers.
The PF one is a big lump as I have seen @Part Timer in his van and I decided it would be far too big for my small combo, I like the look of the X-Line one better than the old waterworks one now I assume they have just copied the same setup and made it more like an X they are Proloc reels if the same as the W,W one

Also don't forget Waterworks had issues with the first reel so I am sure X-line would have had the same issues and got them sorted

The PF one is a big lump as I have seen @Part Timer in his van and I decided it would be far too big for my small combo, I like the look of the X-Line one better than the old waterworks one now I assume they have just copied the same setup and made it more like an X they are Proloc reels if the same as the W,W one

Also don't forget Waterworks had issues with the first reel so I am sure X-line would have had the same issues and got them sorted
We have the twin stack in the big van but have 2 singles in the Traffic. To make more room we had a frame built over the wheel arches and had them mounted on them.

This is the pure freedom twin-stack in one of my vans the stand that they are on was fabricated by a local firm , they are nice reels but big and heavy

Attachments

• 603904B9-9BE5-4F32-86D6-058369C95730.jpeg
    603904B9-9BE5-4F32-86D6-058369C95730.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0620D646-7429-4483-BB1F-793C8BFD351E.jpeg
    0620D646-7429-4483-BB1F-793C8BFD351E.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 9646D140-D35F-4964-B5A2-C51D8DC88FF2.jpeg
    9646D140-D35F-4964-B5A2-C51D8DC88FF2.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 20
  • B3A5F9D2-B48F-488C-92A3-27A107D229C2.jpeg
    B3A5F9D2-B48F-488C-92A3-27A107D229C2.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 21
Cheers. I think the Pure Freedom reels are very well built but do look a bit big.

Reading and watching X-Lines vid on youtube and the info on their site it does look like they have made an error or a cunning way to sell more stuff! The manual version looks to have an overspool adjustment but the electric one doesn't so you have to spend an extra £180 for the spring controller that has overspool built in! So it's not a cheap bargain as it looks, plus I am surprised at how much you can see the chain, I would guess you can get your fingers in there which I would have thought is against H&S for a retail product.
As for the space in the back of my van and the wheel arches, here is a picy of what it should look like ;)
1668344410505.png
As you can see the wheel arches have a plastic panel above them that takes up most of the arch. I'll try and remember to get a picy in the back of mine to give you an idea of space.
Cheers for all the suggestions.

Cheers. I think the Pure Freedom reels are very well built but do look a bit big.

Reading and watching X-Lines vid on youtube and the info on their site it does look like they have made an error or a cunning way to sell more stuff! The manual version looks to have an overspool adjustment but the electric one doesn't so you have to spend an extra £180 for the spring controller that has overspool built in! So it's not a cheap bargain as it looks, plus I am surprised at how much you can see the chain, I would guess you can get your fingers in there which I would have thought is against H&S for a retail product.
As for the space in the back of my van and the wheel arches, here is a picy of what it should look like ;)
View attachment 27536
As you can see the wheel arches have a plastic panel above them that takes up most of the arch. I'll try and remember to get a picy in the back of mine to give you an idea of space.
Cheers for all the suggestions.
Could you not remove the plastic arch cover ?

Could you not remove the plastic arch cover ?
There is a possibility that I could gain a little. I had a quick measure and it does look like I have more space than I thought.
The yucky matt under the reel is an old bath matt that stops the rust marking the van floor.
I need to get the dimensions of the gripper through floor rollers and have a look underneath to make sure they will fit and where the hose reel has to sit.
It does seem like as long as I can get the rollers in most reels would fit.
Cheers

Attachments

• 2022-11-13.jpeg
    2022-11-13.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 27
There is a possibility that I could gain a little. I had a quick measure and it does look like I have more space than I thought.
The yucky matt under the reel is an old bath matt that stops the rust marking the van floor.
I need to get the dimensions of the gripper through floor rollers and have a look underneath to make sure they will fit and where the hose reel has to sit.
It does seem like as long as I can get the rollers in most reels would fit.
Cheers
I have a Toyota pro ace van with floor rollers fitted to it think that’s the same as yours ?????

I have a Toyota pro ace van with floor rollers fitted to it think that’s the same as yours ?????
Cheers. I think the 2019 on Pro Ace City is the same but the Pro Ace is a bit bigger I think.
I think floor rollers are doable between chassis rails and spare wheel but have to make a template and check.

Cheers. I think the 2019 on Pro Ace City is the same but the Pro Ace is a bit bigger I think.
I think floor rollers are doable between chassis rails and spare wheel but have to make a template and check.
I have the same van as you but with a combo badge on it. I put the spare wheel inside the van to make room for the rollers. I don't think there's room for it with the spare wheel in it's original place but I wasn't really that thorough when I checked so I could be wrong.

You dont need rollers, just close the doors on the hose. Water flows fine. If I was you I would get the Pure Freedom Reelmaster you have the space.
Its personal preference though mate, I personally couldn't do what you did (1) I'm **** at estimating (2) I often need 50-100m of hose out so for me having rollers is far more practical

Latest Posts

Back