Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

X-Line electric hose reel - any good or is there better in small foot print?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

All I do is take with me my pole and depending on the height of the building i.e. 4m of pole hose in hand (which is permanently contacted to the reel hose) and walk to the furthest window on property. Then walk back to the van to close door and at the same time make sure the hose hasn't created a trip hazard along the route.

Last edited:
All I do is take with me my pole and depending on the height of the building i.e. 4m of pole hose in hand (which is permanently contacted to the reel hose) and walk to the furthest window on property. Then walk back to the van to close door and at the same time make sure the hose hasn't created a trip hazard along the route.
I don't fancy walking 100m and then back again not with my little legs I get tired more easily

As it's Black Friday very soon I thought there could be bargains on elec hose reels. So I went out in the rain and had a good look under the van with a cardboard template of the GrippaTank rollers. Under the passenger side (1st door to open) the spare wheel sits a bit too close, while the under floor roller would fit, at least one of the long bolts would foul the spare wheel!
The drivers side floor is fine, but that's the side that has my racking on. If I put the reel there I wouldn't be able to get access to the bottom of the racking! I can't put the racking on the other side as then the poles need to swap round and the hole through the bulkhead is in the wrong side plus I would need to open both doors to get a pole out!
I really don't want to remove the spare wheel as I haven't got space for it in the van and sods law I will need it one day.

Maybe I will have a look at the more basic rollers with just the 2 studding bars and long nuts with some extra support for the bottom roller to the van chassis. I think that roller would miss the spare wheel and allow me to mount the reel on the passenger side.

I have the same van as you but with a combo badge on it. I put the spare wheel inside the van to make room for the rollers. I don't think there's room for it with the spare wheel in it's original place but I wasn't really that thorough when I checked so I could be wrong.
I just had a look and while there is space under the passenger side to fit the Grippa rollers, one of the long bolts would foul the spare wheel I think. I'm not keen no leaving the spare at home and don't have that much space in the rear as I process water in the van so have 2 x DI vessels and a booster pump.

I think it might be possible to fit the less heavy duty rollers that have just 2 pieces of studding and long nuts as long as I can add a horizontal brace between the lower roller and the chassis somehow.

Maybe I will just hold off till we get better weather and I can get the van up in the air a bit and maybe mock something up to see if it's possible.

Cheers for letting me know that the passenger side is tight for space. How do you find the elec reel and rollers?

Maybe I will have a look at the more basic rollers with just the 2 studding bars and long nuts with some extra support for the bottom roller to the van chassis. I think that roller would miss the spare wheel and allow me to mount the reel on the passenger side.
4 way Roller Guide Angle - Pure Freedom these may do the job although they ain't worth £60 as I had them fitted to my van and the rollers got smashed up in no time although I was using a metal inline tap which probably smashed them up a bit sooner

4 way Roller Guide Angle - Pure Freedom these may do the job although they ain't worth £60 as I had them fitted to my van and the rollers got smashed up in no time although I was using a metal inline tap which probably smashed them up a bit sooner
We had them in the van for 3 and a half years. Still reels in without the plastic.

I have the PF reelmaster and I've had it 4 and a half years and it's still going strong.its got to be the best electric reel on the market but its really heavy and the footprint is bigger than other reels.....in your situation I'd probably go for the xline.

Cheers, I did find them last night and the ones that use winch rollers with 2 bolts between. After a bit of thought I think I might just go for the Grippa ones and remove the spare wheel - it's a bit vulnerable to theft being under the van. Not sure if I'll try and find space for it in the back or just leave it at home as I'm never more than 3 miles from home.

Slightly off-topic
what do people think of the power up HD reels
I think when I get my bigger van I will go for the facelift system (delivery only) and they have a electric reel option that is the power up HD
but did read that if the belt snaps you can't just replace it?

Slightly off-topic
what do people think of the power up HD reels
I think when I get my bigger van I will go for the facelift system (delivery only) and they have a electric reel option that is the power up HD
but did read that if the belt snaps you can't just replace it?
The newer versions have some improvements, i.e. there is now a relay so the switch doesn't take all the current so that should fix the switches breaking, and the belts can be changed by the user.

Cheers, I did find them last night and the ones that use winch rollers with 2 bolts between. After a bit of thought I think I might just go for the Grippa ones and remove the spare wheel - it's a bit vulnerable to theft being under the van. Not sure if I'll try and find space for it in the back or just leave it at home as I'm never more than 3 miles from home.
I had my spare wheel removed it will be 4 years in April and have never carried it in the van 2-3 miles is my max and I can easily get someone out locally if needed.

Well I went for the Pure Freedom Reelmaster in the end, seemed better engineered and more control. I asked if I can relocate the controller as I am short on space and thought if I could mount it on the side of the van I save about 100mm in length. They rang to discuss and they said they could do a wall mount bracket and a longer wiring harness for a decent price. I had asked, by accident (my fault for copy and paste), about lead times on blue sides, they said they had them in stock which was great as I like the blue.

Ordered on the Black Friday deal and it was delivered today :). It came very well packed with some stiff foam that makes great kneeling pads. I ordered new hose and rectus 21 etc and to my surprise they had fitted the hose and the rectus 21! Well I haven't put water through it yet so I think they connected the hose to reel :LOL:.

The wall bracket is blue as well which is a nice touch. The electrical cables and connections look very well made and even has mini Anderson connections between reel and battery so you can remove the reel without undoing the cables to the battery. The swivel connector is huge and looks very shiny in brass, looks like it's massively over engineered! It also comes with what look like 4 x M6 stainless bolts, spreader plates, flanged nuts and washers.

Unfortunately I can't install it yet as the stainless through floor rollers will take another 3 weeks to arrive!

Just placed in the bac to see space. Please ignore the old bath mat that the manual reel normally sits on :)

Side.jpeg

Little tip I picked mine up on site as I live near them. I said what are the weaknesses on the reels and they said the brass inlet to the reel I assume their all the same my reel is set up for hot water but I'm sure the connectors are all brass. They said wrap them up with a towel to stop the cold getting to them I'm onto my second winter now and all.is fine.

If the brass inlet freezes theres a chance it will break it and it will leak. If that happens you will need to order a repair kit of Pure Freedom, consists of a C Clip, spring, some washers. You will need C Clip pliers to insert it all.

If the brass inlet freezes theres a chance it will break it and it will leak. If that happens you will need to order a repair kit of Pure Freedom, consists of a C Clip, spring, some washers. You will need C Clip pliers to insert it all.
That's why they said wrap it up to protect it. But they said the replacement unit was £80/£100. Been okay so far

Latest Posts

Back