Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning with fan jets

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I use a 2x50 andx2 x100 in my brush 50 on the outside 
I'm the same on my 25' pole and 4 / 50 on my 18' pole. My 35' pole I don't have a univalve and only use a 26cm brush with 2 / 50's. Folk who say they don't need a univalve must go through some amount of pure. When I get time to sort out my 35' pole then a univalve will be imperative because you get so used to having them. Only cost £30 and last for years, well mine do. ?

Been using them a couple of days now I like them so far. Rinsing on glass as Dave g suggests just hope they fully dry up clear. 

Mkne seem to squeal on the glass? Does anyone notice that like whistling noise along with the normal water noise it's weird. 

Been using them a couple of days now I like them so far. Rinsing on glass as Dave g suggests just hope they fully dry up clear. 

Mkne seem to squeal on the glass? Does anyone notice that like whistling noise along with the normal water noise it's weird. 
I had it the other week when I switched to a new xtreme flocked, then once I trimmed the bristles it was fine, although that week for a day or so it seemed like the jets weren't performing as they should like they were 50 degree jets and not 100's and I kept checking for blockages but no issues since 

Hello,

So when I changed my brush head 6 weeks ago and changed to fan jets I instantly noticed the uni valve became frustrating and wouldn't turn off properly when pulled. Although turned on fine when pulled. This has got gradually worse and worse to the point of the uni valve actually only stops the flow of water after about 6 pulls and it's extremely frustrating. 

For a test a changed the brush head back to my pencil jet brush head and the univalve works perfect again at all extension levels.....I actually preferred the fan jets but feel like I can't use them for the reason mentioned above.

Is there any reason why the fan jets are causing the uni valve to struggle to stop the flow of water and things work perfect again with the pencil jets? 

Thanks all. 

Hello,

So when I changed my brush head 6 weeks ago and changed to fan jets I instantly noticed the uni valve became frustrating and wouldn't turn off properly when pulled. Although turned on fine when pulled. This has got gradually worse and worse to the point of the uni valve actually only stops the flow of water after about 6 pulls and it's extremely frustrating. 

For a test a changed the brush head back to my pencil jet brush head and the univalve works perfect again at all extension levels.....I actually preferred the fan jets but feel like I can't use them for the reason mentioned above.

Is there any reason why the fan jets are causing the uni valve to struggle to stop the flow of water and things work perfect again with the pencil jets? 

Thanks all. 
Shouldn’t be a problem at all. I have a univalve on both my poles, a 22 and a 35, it’s always worked fine whatever the brush, pencils, 50 degree, 100 degree, 2 jets or 4 jets. 

I have been using a rinse bar since Friday and can't believe how much better it is.

I love fan jets but used with a swivel this makes it even quicker.

The problem with your univalve will likely be the backpressure build-up due to forcing too much water through the smaller holes in the fanjets. Try turning your flow down a bit.  This worked for me.  The Univalves do struggle when put under too much pressure.

I find that the noise they make varies depending on the brush I'm using.  They seem to make the most noise with the Xtreme brushes.  When using an ultimate it sounds like I've turned the flow down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to double check the obvious - I take it that you've got an o-clip on the bit of hose (protruding from the top of the gooseneck) to enable you to pull on the hose effectively to activate your univalve? Or have you swapped brushes to the ones with the fan jets and simply forgotten to install this o clip?

Or one of these : https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/363207515036?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=363207515036&targetid=1002021776113&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006791&poi=&campaignid=10195651178&mkgroupid=107296207892&rlsatarget=pla-1002021776113&abcId=1145987&merchantid=6995734&gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXv32MAO5QB_tQLbwFw7g8QqVCxRsxxzGtvs-ZHVu-16kjSPaukyinBoC2ZsQAvD_BwE

The guy that designed them is on here.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's why I don't use them I don't know how anyone listens to that noise all day. They could be 10 times better than pencil jets and I still couldn't listen to that noise all day. 
We have friends now living in Ireland who we have known for over 45 years. Daughter was a baby when we first met in South Africa; she is a few months older than my son is. Our two families made an instant connection and have been friends ever since.

They now all live in Ireland. Previously their daughter's husband had an interior cleaning business in the south of England. He had an old carpet cleaner that made a lot of noise but wasn't very effective. He replaced it with a brand new model that did a really good job but was very quite. When he used that new machine cleaning carpets he said customer's continually kept coming in to check on him. When he used the old clunker they never did.

Sometimes customers feel happier to hear noise as something inside tells them you are working harder for the money they are paying you. It can also work against you. "That jet wash you use has caused water to leak between my window panes of my double glazing."

Personally I prefer pencil jets but do have a couple of brushes with fan jets in we can swap between as we need them. Son prefers fan jets. He likes the red ones from Gardiner not the black ones.

I have been using a rinse bar since Friday and can't believe how much better it is.

The rinse bar works well to begin with but is easily damaged on the brick work above and on the sides. You have to keep repairing the holes with a sharp needle or similar.

I use a brass 12v automotive circuit probe. It has a sharp point and the diameter of the probe is the same size as the jets. It looks like one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-12v-Electrical-Circuit-Tester-Heavy-Duty-Automotive-Car-Van-Bike/402041612800?_trkparms=aid%3D1110009%26algo%3DSPLICE.COMPLISTINGS%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200220094952%26meid%3D378a16593e214f7b99cbbf521f3a6707%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D331676618490%26itm%3D402041612800%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3Ddefault&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SometimesYou have to try these things to understand them , before I first tried them I thought would have problems with hitting the brickwalls filling vents etc after a few minutes you soon realise that isn’t the case. ?

Hello,

Thanks all. 
Mines started doing the same with fan jets. Tried auto  calibrating the controller again but didn't really make any difference. 

Mines started doing the same with fan jets. Tried auto  calibrating the controller again but didn't really make any difference. 
The CAL feature I believe only changes the cut off pressure not the working pressure.  Though the working pressure will always be lower than the cut off pressure it can still be high enough to cause a univalve to falter if your flow rate is too high for fans.  Try turning the flow rate down a little when using your fans.

The CAL feature I believe only changes the cut off pressure not the working pressure.  Though the working pressure will always be lower than the cut off pressure it can still be high enough to cause a univalve to falter if your flow rate is too high for fans.  Try turning the flow rate down a little when using your fans.
I'll give that ago. Only have the controller on 41 lol. 

@Dave B hadn’t used my rinsebar for a while so cleaned my own windows today with the 35cm combo it’s back on my van ?

3D1199C1-B07F-408B-B911-00BA8644074C.jpeg

52AB501F-A63A-4FAF-B505-DE1DB27852A6.jpeg

I'd only ever used pencils until I bought a soft flocked brush for my leaded work. I liked the fans but it didn't take long before I got issues with the jets not behaving in a predictable way, water coming out at funny angles, blockages etc. I still use the brush, can still get the work done but I'll stick to pencils when replacing.

The only time I use fans jets is when I'm cleaning roofs, or solar panels....too much over spray for regular window cleaning IMO.....

In fact I used my fan jets on a roof clean today on a carbon 90degree gooseneck....
Pencil jets are preffered choice as..with a good rinse, on or off the glass...A lovely " curtain effect" for passionate finish??.

Back