Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Collective Bargining Idea

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Wow, now that's some sound background to a post ? 10/10

So Spruce what happens if some nameless lazy layabout doesn't change his carbon filter as regular as that? I think PT mentioned it might damage the membranes - if that's the case - what's the impact of any potential 'damage'? Say they will only last 6 years instead of 10 at which time you'll need to replace them anyhow, etc? (So I guess a cost could be allocated to RO abuse i.e cost of new membrane (4 years early) minus saving of x number of carbon filters (during the 6 years) which 'should' have be used? Which *might* mean it's even cheaper not change the carbon filters and just accept membranes will not last as long etc?

Afterall our systems 'filter' water, which we use to clean filthy things - no one's going die.

So I guess I'm wondering how long can a filter be used before it impacts something and what's the downside of that impact?

I'm naturally suspicious of capitalists as it's in their interests to sell us stuff, even if it's massively overly cautious or in fact any potential 'harm' is easily mitigated or even the harm is more cost effective than the prevention. 

No wonder you need a much bigger van. In fact you should consider a Volvo with a 40' Pantechnicon Box Trailer. ?

I have a MWB Crafter and I was looking for a LWB but can only carry 1100kgs. I am just increasing the price of add-ons to make it worthwhile. I lost a job tonight because I was a ton over my normal price. Getting more customers with window cleaning so I have less time for anything else. This year I am being expensive and I will see how it goes. ?

Sorry PT didn't mean to imply you did/do anything wrong - quite the reverse - I'm just wondering are we 'told' we need to change filters way before they actually stop doing their jobs...clearly I don't have the answer but sounds like Spruce might have a good idea

Sorry PT didn't mean to imply you did/do anything wrong - quite the reverse - I'm just wondering are we 'told' we need to change filters way before they actually stop doing their jobs...clearly I don't have the answer but sounds like Spruce might have a good idea

I was using @Part Timer's example to question how much chlorine we actually have in our water despite what the water authority records it as. It begs a couple of questions though.

Where are they testing the water?

Are they faking the figures? (On the same line; did the Americans actually go to the moon in 1969 or did they fake that? ?? Oops!)

Is our water totally safe to drink if there is no free chlorine in the water supply at our tap most of the time?

I would still recommend you change your C/B filter when the manufacturer says its service life is up even if it will last longer than this.

There have been numerous reports of windies having to replace membranes as they have failed prematurely. If you need to replace 3 x 150gpd membranes then that's not that bigger deal. Having to replace an HF5 Axeon at £400 is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, now that's some sound background to a post ? 10/10

So Spruce what happens if some nameless lazy layabout doesn't change his carbon filter as regular as that? I think PT mentioned it might damage the membranes - if that's the case - what's the impact of any potential 'damage'? Say they will only last 6 years instead of 10 at which time you'll need to replace them anyhow, etc? (So I guess a cost could be allocated to RO abuse i.e cost of new membrane (4 years early) minus saving of x number of carbon filters (during the 6 years) which 'should' have be used? Which *might* mean it's even cheaper not change the carbon filters and just accept membranes will not last as long etc?

Afterall our systems 'filter' water, which we use to clean filthy things - no one's going die.

So I guess I'm wondering how long can a filter be used before it impacts something and what's the downside of that impact?

I'm naturally suspicious of capitalists as it's in their interests to sell us stuff, even if it's massively overly cautious or in fact any potential 'harm' is easily mitigated or even the harm is more cost effective than the prevention. 

Not changing prefilters isn't a train smash. Chlorine destroys membranes and in the process the tds of your produced pure will rise. You will then use more resin to 'polish' that water off to zero.

So yes, you will be saving money on prefilter costs but spending it many times over on increased resin usage.

One of the original wfp suppliers once stated that its best to consider changing a membrane when it only removes 94% of the dissolved solids in the water. If you let it drop lower then quickly you we see how your resin costs increase if you are in a hard water area.

The impact will be on your pocket. Your costs will rise doing the same work. If your water isn't pure and leaves spotting you will have some dissatisfied customers and will mean re-cleaning and the chance of losing a customer you have worked hard to get. 

It will also impact on your reputation; bad news travels fast than good news.

Is resin environmentally friendly? I doubt it. So using more resin will have a small impact on the environment.

A while back a fellow windie and myself where using a similar amount of water each month. I had a 4040 producing at a rejection rate of 98% and his Merlin was running at 80% +.

I use a 25 litre bag of resin every 4 years. He uses 3 bags of resin a year. That is an impact. Yet when he had to buy another r/o because his froze up, he purchased another Merlin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back