Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Commercial Gutter job

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Rich C

One for the commercial gutters cleaners please.

Hi all,
I've been visiting this forum while making the transition into self employment. ( so thanks for all the info along the way)

I need a little advice on pricing please,

I've been out to check this site out in the South.

It has 10 meter high roofs and the peak, deep vallys that are a bit of a pig to get to in some areas. Cherry picker needed with a decent outward reach after the hight. ( I have ipaf so all good there )

Just getting the asbestos report to check there's no hidden nasties.

253 meters of gutter all together, I've estimated 2 days, (maybe another half day if things don't go to plan and lose light) to allow for moving picker, moving barriers, waiting for clear paths if/ when people are about, clearing up.

Labour will be myself and another as part of saftey/ reduce plan when using the picker, moving barriers, clean up.

Labour costs £1200 ( does that seem resonable to you guys? ) for the gutters. This has included the site visit and the fuel both times.

I dont want to blow the job on price however I don't want to work for nothing and it's a pig in places.

Cheery picker will be most likely hired buy the firm to allow them to claim back direct.

Any asbestos will change things all together, they were having a report done when I had the camera up and about.

Thanks for the assistance

Attachments

• 20221113_095326.jpg
    20221113_095326.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 40
It's very hard to advise on prices, I always think the hardest part of building a business is learning how to price jobs and, I think, the best way to do so is by doing it yourself. You then get the experience the hard way.
Personally I'd be amazed if that would take 2 days to do. If you get a MEWP with a big cradle and take up something to scrape stuff towards you you will fly through it and do 20 metres, plus, per move.
I would hire the MEWP and include the hire cost in your quote. They might look at a £2k bill to do the job as being OK. They might think a labour bill of £1200 as excessive.
Good luck and let us know if you get the job and if you do how long it took.

It's very hard to advise on prices, I always think the hardest part of building a business is learning how to price jobs and, I think, the best way to do so is by doing it yourself. You then get the experience the hard way.
Personally I'd be amazed if that would take 2 days to do. If you get a MEWP with a big cradle and take up something to scrape stuff towards you you will fly through it and do 20 metres, plus, per move.
I would hire the MEWP and include the hire cost in your quote. They might look at a £2k bill to do the job as being OK. They might think a labour bill of £1200 as excessive.
Good luck and let us know if you get the job and if you do how long it took.
Thanks Part Timer,

I went with the 2 days as they will be long ones, with 70% of the gutters not that bad from what the camera picked up. 8 moves of a cherry picker and then the rest on controls.

Was planning on the scrape technique and large cradle as I've seen guys on here saying the sky vac commercial wouldn't cut it,

I've not taken a unit on this size and as you rightly say its all about experience to work out exactly how long it would take.

I just didn't want the job to outpace its self or worse be working for nothing ?

Do the gutters have bars in them every 600 mm ? If they do then it will be a pita and slow you down as stuff grows around them . Also looking at that plan view are you planning on reaching the section in the middle from a picker ? I think it would be difficult ti reach the gutters out of a cradle in that section ? Price wise I feel that’s very cheap but wouldn’t want to try and influence you to go to high and not get a job that you want if it’s any help we did a school the other day that was 50 feet high , and approximately 370 meters long from the ground with gutter vac with bars in the gutters box gutter and they were quite bad , it took two of us a day and a half to do it was very hard work and we charged a fair bit more than your price and they didn’ question the price this is a part of it .

Attachments

• E6D5B37B-BA37-424A-BAE2-30FB8075AC31.jpeg
    E6D5B37B-BA37-424A-BAE2-30FB8075AC31.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 13
  • BB8D1046-EF41-4067-8BA4-538CE81E1353.jpeg
    BB8D1046-EF41-4067-8BA4-538CE81E1353.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 12
  • B6F5C7A4-889F-4F2C-8AB7-A9E0F88D4E31.jpeg
    B6F5C7A4-889F-4F2C-8AB7-A9E0F88D4E31.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 17C102AA-AA2E-49C8-85B9-337C97D68F4E.jpeg
    17C102AA-AA2E-49C8-85B9-337C97D68F4E.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 13
  • EBAC6083-46DD-4119-A4AD-F0C24F44BE0C.jpeg
    EBAC6083-46DD-4119-A4AD-F0C24F44BE0C.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 14
Do the gutters have bars in them every 600 mm ? If they do then it will be a pita and slow you down as stuff grows around them . Also looking at that plan view are you planning on reaching the section in the middle from a picker ? I think it would be difficult ti reach the gutters out of a cradle in that section ? Price wise I feel that’s very cheap but wouldn’t want to try and influence you to go to high and not get a job that you want if it’s any help we did a school the other day that was 50 feet high , and approximately 370 meters long from the ground with gutter vac with bars in the gutters box gutter and they were quite bad , it took two of us a day and a half to do it was very hard work and we charged a fair bit more than your price and they didn’ question the price this is a part of it .
Thank you Pjj, thats magic, really appreciate it.
The other edges do have the bars, the inners however are clear.

Where the lower parts join its more of a deep crevis so will vac with an extension on.

I was planning on a picker with a large cage / basket that has an outward reach of 20m after getting the hight,that way I can push and pull the much to the edges with either my 10m of vac tubes with appropriate ends or wfp. Sort of a learning curve what will work best. Then hit it the other side and hand ball it off or if not too bad vac it.

This is my first big job with gutters and a picker, I've used them before for other other things and gutters on a more domestic scale.

Again, really appreciate the time to write.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221113-134251_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-134251_Gallery.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221113-134208_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-134208_Gallery.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221113_134054.jpg
    20221113_134054.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 18
Thank you Pjj, thats magic, really appreciate it.
The other edges do have the bars, the inners however are clear.

Where the lower parts join its more of a deep crevis so will vac with an extension on.

I was planning on a picker with a large cage / basket that has an outward reach of 20m after getting the hight,that way I can push and pull the much to the edges with either my 10m of vac tubes with appropriate ends or wfp. Sort of a learning curve what will work best. Then hit it the other side and hand ball it off or if not too bad vac it.

This is my first big job with gutters and a picker, I've used them before for other other things and gutters on a more domestic scale.

Again, really appreciate the time to write.
No problem if you get the job get some before and after pictures they are very good for your portfolio to show potential customers , let us know how it goes ?

Thanks Part Timer,

I went with the 2 days as they will be long ones, with 70% of the gutters not that bad from what the camera picked up. 8 moves of a cherry picker and then the rest on controls.

Was planning on the scrape technique and large cradle as I've seen guys on here saying the sky vac commercial wouldn't cut it,

I've not taken a unit on this size and as you rightly say its all about experience to work out exactly how long it would take.

I just didn't want the job to outpace its self or worse be working for nothing ?
If you could get the Skyvac Inteceptor in the cradle with you you'd do it easy

Hi Part timer,

Yes I won the job, had it scheduled for the 12th December, however my child decided that late January wasn't quick enough to be born so came on the 9th December needing special care with my partner. I had to push all big jobs back as I have a toddler too so not had a chance to get stuck in. Thankfully they are understanding and have penciled it in for later this month providing no massive drama.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Kind regards
Rich

Hi Part timer,

Yes I won the job, had it scheduled for the 12th December, however my child decided that late January wasn't quick enough to be born so came on the 9th December needing special care with my partner. I had to push all big jobs back as I have a toddler too so not had a chance to get stuck in. Thankfully they are understanding and have penciled it in for later this month providing no massive drama.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Kind regards
Rich
Appolagies for the delay, the personal life went a bit sideways with this premature baby.

Anyways, the job went well, a few testing times bit I wasn't expecting anything less lol.

Late starts and early finishes trying to juggle childcare with the missis back in hospital with the newborn. Just meant hitting all the traffic. Which in turn made it over run by a day or so.

For future reference I will be adding 2 days labour per man on a job to offset problems.
And if I lose the job so be it, it's better to lose it than be upside down.

Still managed to walk away up, though at times it felt as if I wouldn't.
The weather, god did it rain, the size of them roofs filled them gutters so fast and as they all ran away for the downpipe we had to wait for gaps in the rain to continue.

I went with the skyvac 85 and a 6kva generator as I needed something in the basket of the cherry picker with me and the interceptor would take up all space and weight limits.

With the rain beating down so much I wasn't 100% of the ground to the rear of the building and a 18 ton cherry picker, so after a better inspection we could see the hard to reach area was pretty clear and manageable from the ground thankfully.

Anyways, we won the other buildings so have been playing catch up since, lots of different buildings, gutter sizes, depths, challenges, adaptions to pole attachments, good old hand balling some too. It's been an eye opener for sure.

IMG-20230111-WA0004.jpg20230110_102742.jpg20230109_140329.jpg

Appolagies for the delay, the personal life went a bit sideways with this premature baby.

Anyways, the job went well, a few testing times bit I wasn't expecting anything less lol.

Late starts and early finishes trying to juggle childcare with the missis back in hospital with the newborn. Just meant hitting all the traffic. Which in turn made it over run by a day or so.

For future reference I will be adding 2 days labour per man on a job to offset problems.
And if I lose the job so be it, it's better to lose it than be upside down.

Still managed to walk away up, though at times it felt as if I wouldn't.
The weather, god did it rain, the size of them roofs filled them gutters so fast and as they all ran away for the downpipe we had to wait for gaps in the rain to continue.

I went with the skyvac 85 and a 6kva generator as I needed something in the basket of the cherry picker with me and the interceptor would take up all space and weight limits.

With the rain beating down so much I wasn't 100% of the ground to the rear of the building and a 18 ton cherry picker, so after a better inspection we could see the hard to reach area was pretty clear and manageable from the ground thankfully.

Anyways, we won the other buildings so have been playing catch up since, lots of different buildings, gutter sizes, depths, challenges, adaptions to pole attachments, good old hand balling some too. It's been an eye opener for sure.

View attachment 28135View attachment 28136View attachment 28137
Well done good job ?

Latest Posts

Back