Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers price mentality

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeh jbc were are you in West Yorkshire . I don't bother with new builds as I have a well established round . But my mate targets em all in the Wakefield area . Very slow and hard canvassing . He tells me there's one estate where he has half a dozen all spread out . That he knows there is at least 12 other cleaners . Price range from £5 to £18 for near identical houses . They will also drop you very fast as you haven't yet built up the loyalty and trust . He loses em regularly , usually on a cheaper price .

I forget I was charging £5 back in 2004. Still it seems dear but prices have to go up or it ends up being a definate beer money job
This is why an annual price rise is critical. If you had upped it just 50p a year since 2004 you'd be at £11 per clean by now and your customers would have no issue as they would be conditioned to a window cleaner that moves with the times.

You'll find a good proportion rent/affordable housing on new builds theses days
Matters not weather they bought the house are renting it etc etc. The key issue with these estates is the word 'NEW'

Whenever people move into a 'new' home the wife wants a new sofa and rug the hubby wants a new telly and so on..... and they are literally up the creek on credit.

I personally find these estates take a year to 18 months to settle down.

With new builds I only target 3 story one or ones with dormers in the roof as mybpole can handle it. You'd be surprised how many dont and cant do 3 floor work yet.

I'm in Bradford, and yeah green I agree i should have put prices up a lot more frequently.

I plan to put prices up from April and then like you say 50p a year from now.

With new builds I only target 3 story one or ones with dormers in the roof as mybpole can handle it. You'd be surprised how many dont and cant do 3 floor work yet.
You only go for the 3 storey houses on new builds? You ain't going to get many are you! Most of us have a pole on our van that reaches 25'+

The 50p annual price increase sounds like a good idea - might implement that come the new year.

I guess that would be on a £10 job, higher one's (£20+) would need to hike by £1.00-£1.50....

Anyone have a sliding scale of price increases they use?

Sent from my CUBOT DINOSAUR using Tapatalk

Firstly Yorkshire is a BIG place and very diverse with wealth

Youve got harrogate/wetherby/york and north yorkshire some of the most affluent areas in the country then you have the likes of barnsley, doncaster, wakefield and plenty of other ex mining villages and the like which you couldnt get more working class.

Firstly depending on where you are i would say your prices are on the high side but not rediculously so. I too struggle where i am, my prices generally are £10 -£15 for most houses from semi to 3/4 bed detatched.

The only thing you can really do if people wont have your prices is to spread out a bit more looking for those that will take a higher price.

You may have to start lower to get a foothold and then start the process of expanding the top and dissolving the bottom.

Yeh jbc were are you in West Yorkshire . I don't bother with new builds as I have a well established round . But my mate targets em all in the Wakefield area . Very slow and hard canvassing . He tells me there's one estate where he has half a dozen all spread out . That he knows there is at least 12 other cleaners . Price range from £5 to £18 for near identical houses . They will also drop you very fast as you haven't yet built up the loyalty and trust . He loses em regularly , usually on a cheaper price .
You mate is probably targetting the same new builds as me in wakefield, yes they are hard going and it really doesnt help when theres guy doing 3/4 bed detacheds less than a tenner. I had one ask me not long ago to undercut his windy by a quid, 9 quid he was paying for a 4 bed detached. :confused:

It seems to be a mix of trad and pole around my way and even see a chap out with ladders on his bike this morning, and respect to him.

I did get some of my first jobs from having the 25ft, as the last window cleaner could not reach over the conservatory.

Next there came higher windows with the same scenario and so purchased my self a Gardiner 39 just to cover most residential difficult windows.

Its really paid off, customers ringing up for quotes and turning up to them saying you wont reach that window and then the shock on there faces lol

I think if you have the right toll it gives you the edge.

It seems to be a mix of trad and pole around my way and even see a chap out with ladders on his bike this morning, and respect to him.

I did get some of my first jobs from having the 25ft, as the last window cleaner could not reach over the conservatory.

Next there came higher windows with the same scenario and so purchased my self a Gardiner 39 just to cover most residential difficult windows.

Its really paid off, customers ringing up for quotes and turning up to them saying you wont reach that window and then the shock on there faces lol

I think if you have the right toll it gives you the edge.

Hi all
Iv been canvassing a new build estate this morning whilst cleaning for regular customers. The houses are all 4-5 bed detached houses worth at least 200k.

Iv been charging £15 first clean and £11 then on if monthly but didn't get anyone sign up. I mention how long I've been cleaning and that I clean all frames and doors each clean not just glass. I offer monthly or every other month. And promote direct debit as easiest way to pay.

Most people have said there's other cleaners who have called charging a lot less than me and some £9 or ,£10.

I find in general that despite how different you are from other cleaners (most don't offer direct debit except on here) the customers still think cheaper is better . It's hard to get people on board no matter how well off they are they just consider price.

I only see a difference when it's people asking me to clean Windows not me canvassing.

I know I'm prob one of dearest in Yorkshire but iv always set out to be that way as I think I offer more of a service compared to one's in area who just clean glass or only take cash.

How is it for you guys?
your always going to get that people cheaper...when I go to a new property and quite a price of say £15 they say my last window cleaner only charged £9...my response is always were is he now then can you not get him to do them for you...they always say he came for 3,4 months then never came back, said exactly he was under charging doing to many houses and not earning enough so has probably given up window cleaning as found was not for him....what you offer for you price is a good job and reliability and the fact your always going to be around for the foreseeable future...don't drop your price to get the job as when it comes to doing that house every month you will resent doing it...

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Iv been charging £15 first clean and £11 then on if monthly but didn't get anyone sign up.

Most people have said there's other cleaners who have called charging a lot less than me and some £9 or ,£10.

How is it for you guys?
So let me get this right - you quote £11 & they respond with "others are charging a lot less - £9 or £10??!!!

What the heck?

If they are quibbling & complaining over a quid or 2 then they aren't worth the time of day (IMO)

You mate is probably targetting the same new builds as me in wakefield, yes they are hard going and it really doesnt help when theres guy doing 3/4 bed detacheds less than a tenner. I had one ask me not long ago to undercut his windy by a quid, 9 quid he was paying for a 4 bed detached. :confused:
It bugs me when people are like that. 1 quid makes all the difference to some people. They earn good money and want to save a quid a month.

Latest Posts

Back