Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dealing with drip down

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yes, technology is moving on so fast. They sit in classrooms and discuss problems, any problems even on the net and come up with solutions from all over the world. What one person thinks as silly a group sees an opportunity to make money. That's why everything is moving so fast. One day it could be like a plastic screen protector which you just replace as it is becoming a throw away society.
Now theres a thought. Long way ahead, but one day no glass windows, 30,000 redundant window cleaners take to westminster etc lol, I see a book coming, and then the film lol

Now theres a thought. Long way ahead, but one day no glass windows, 30,000 redundant window cleaners take to westminster etc lol, I see a book coming, and then the film lol

I have just came up with the future of window cleaning and we will all be out of business. Its a top bar like a blind with a squeegee and a brush running the full length. On each side of the frame is a round pole. Each morning it moves down the window and then backup thus resetting itself. Only thing is getting pure water to it. The new glass that has been invented is solar glass which will generate lecky. So cleaning it everyday will help.

I think the future involves a pressure washer type head using pure water. Don't think it would be good for first cleans but great after them.
Funny you should say that, i've got a customer in Gloucester who reckons a lad uses a pressure washer. I assumed she was just explaining it wrong and meant WFP but when she saw my kit she said another lad went behind him rinsing the windows when they had been cleaned. Reckons she caught him doing her neighbours and tried to book in but he never turned up and stopped doing her neighbours too. Having jet washed my own conservatory once upon a time I know it is a useful way of getting the trapped dirt out from between the sill and window but I imagine it would have a detrimental effect on seals and I certainly wouldn't want to use it on anything except UPVC.

PW can cause all sorts of problems because water gets into places its not meant to go. I wonder if a steam cleaner PW would leave a nearly dry window? Everyone likes clean dry windows so steam may be the answer.

I could see a separate hose/pipe for blasted air,  or maybe hoover style to suck up all the water before drip down. I know people will scoff at such ideas, but imagine telling window cleaners 50 years ago that we'd be cleaning with pump fed water from lightweight poles. They'd have probably hung you up as a heretic lol. But seriously, There will be plenty more innovations, thats for sure.

That's been done already. I think it was Ionics who brought out this type of setup aimed at indoor wfp cleaning. It must have been a good 8 years or more ago. It was too heavy, too difficult to setup and man-handle and too expensive.

I've always done it this way because I was taught that you need to wait for the upstairs windows to stop dripping water down before you start on the downstairs ones

I'm going to start by apologizing to you first of all. This has made me laugh out loud. 

I've heard this before. How we clean houses here is we clean the top back then the bottom back, top side windows bottom side windows front top windows front bottom windows then we pack up and leave All this nonsense about water still dripping from upstairs on to the downstairs and leaving marks after you left is just that nonsense. 

Try a little experiment clean a couple of houses in the way I suggested above and if you get a call back you know I'm wrong. The actual results of the experiment suggested is that you'll become more efficient save time be more productive fit in more jobs make more money.

And when I say I'm laughing I honestly don't mean that in a negative way I just find the whole argument that the top windows drip onto the bottom windows and leave marks to be nonsensical.

The only time I could imagine this would actually happen is for those with wfp the top windows and then trad the bottom windows.

Try a little experiment clean a couple of houses in the way I suggested above and if you get a call back you know I'm wrong. The actual results of the experiment suggested is that you'll become more efficient save time be more productive fit in more jobs make more money.
I already have been mate, its working well. As I say the only thing I'm still doing is giving the sill a quick wipe as I finish each window to get the excess water to fall. Also if I work left to right on the top I'm still working left to right on the bottom but that doesn't add much time on.

That's been done already. I think it was Ionics who brought out this type of setup aimed at indoor wfp cleaning. It must have been a good 8 years or more ago. It was too heavy, too difficult to setup and man-handle and too expensive.
yeh but look at those old mobile phones with the bloomin great battery that had to be lugged around with it. who knows what we might have in the future but will probably be after my time. Anyway I gotta pick your brain on something spruce but better start it another topic, to do with ro/booster.

I already have been mate, its working well. As I say the only thing I'm still doing is giving the sill a quick wipe as I finish each window to get the excess water to fall. Also if I work left to right on the top I'm still working left to right on the bottom but that doesn't add much time on.
Mate, can't believe you went round the house twice! Just trying to imagine how much more work your getting done now! ??

Do you use a sill brush? Finding mine great. Quick flick as you finish and the sills are wiped!

Mate, can't believe you went round the house twice! Just trying to imagine how much more work your getting done now! ??

Do you use a sill brush? Finding mine great. Quick flick as you finish and the sills are wiped!
I've got a stiff sill brush and a flocked one. The flocked one is ? but the stiff one is good. I'm only really using it for first cleans though. I've got an ultimate medium brush that I always come back to. On maintenance cleans it works great but I do like how the sill brush gets into the corners the first time round. I was always using an ultimate flocked brush for first cleans before.

I've got a stiff sill brush and a flocked one. The flocked one is ? but the stiff one is good. I'm only really using it for first cleans though. I've got an ultimate medium brush that I always come back to. On maintenance cleans it works great but I do like how the sill brush gets into the corners the first time round. I was always using an ultimate flocked brush for first cleans before.
 It's funny, I find it amazing how the brushes seem to come down to personal preference. I prefer using my flocked ultimate for first cleans and then the sills for regular. Though I think having pencil jets on the flocked gives it a advantage for first cleans. Great for blasting out spider eggs and what have you. 

Shame you don't like the flocked sill brush as I was considering it for first cleans, coupled with pencil jets. What puts you off it?

It's funny, I find it amazing how the brushes seem to come down to personal preference. I prefer using my flocked ultimate for first cleans and then the sills for regular. Though I think having pencil jets on the flocked gives it a advantage for first cleans. Great for blasting out spider eggs and what have you. 

Shame you don't like the flocked sill brush as I was considering it for first cleans, coupled with pencil jets. What puts you off it?
I bought it originally for conservatory roof cleans. All of the bristles clump together. The pencil jets don't work when the bristles are clumped together, they shoot off to the side or the water just flops out the bottom.

When I do first cleans I go round all the frames first and then the glass so it worked for first cleans for quite a while though.

Use it if you get jobs that are majority leaded. You will see it come into its own. 
To be fair I can think of a couple of leaded windows I've used it on and you're right. The bulk of the leaded stuff round here seems to be on very old properties. I've got a thatched cottage I clean that was built in the 1400's, wouldn't want to use such a heavy brush with those types. Whats the white and blue sill brush like, any good?

To be fair I can think of a couple of leaded windows I've used it on and you're right. The bulk of the leaded stuff round here seems to be on very old properties. I've got a thatched cottage I clean that was built in the 1400's, wouldn't want to use such a heavy brush with those types. Whats the white and blue sill brush like, any good?

Many love it I personally don't. My fave still the standard white medium brush, sill brush of course.

Funny you should say that, i've got a customer in Gloucester who reckons a lad uses a pressure washer. I assumed she was just explaining it wrong and meant WFP but when she saw my kit she said another lad went behind him rinsing the windows when they had been cleaned. Reckons she caught him doing her neighbours and tried to book in but he never turned up and stopped doing her neighbours too. Having jet washed my own conservatory once upon a time I know it is a useful way of getting the trapped dirt out from between the sill and window but I imagine it would have a detrimental effect on seals and I certainly wouldn't want to use it on anything except UPVC.
There is a Judge in a street I have cleaned for years who pressure washes all his own windows then gets up a ladder and dries them off and he is in his 60's   him and his wife have asked for quotes in the past but I am too expensive. 

Predictions of future tech are usually laughably wrong.

Saying that, I think the future of commercial window cleaning will be tech built in to the structure or frames that clean the glass daily using high pressure water jets combined with self cleaning glass that wont necessarily be perfect but works well enough for commercial purposes. (Current tech has a long way to go)

In other words, I recon human operators will be relegated to the past, at least on high rise buildings.

On the other hand, domestic window cleaning will be still carried out by operators. I think using poles that clean in a similar way to today with water sprayed on the glass and a brush. But with this difference, the water will be vaccumed off the glass, returned down the pole hose in a separate tube, filtered and pumped back up to the brush head as pure. This would mean a small backpack would be worn that would only require a small reservoir of water that would last hours without needing topping up.

Every now and again you'd have to empty the collected dirt.

Current filter tech isn't capable of that yet I don't think but limitation of using hundreds of litres of water a day with be the first to go I think.

As I said at the beginning though, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be wrong! ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Judge in a street I have cleaned for years who pressure washes all his own windows then gets up a ladder and dries them off and he is in his 60's   him and his wife have asked for quotes in the past but I am too expensive. 
Just been back to the woman I was on about today, she reckons the lad cleaned them with pure through the jet wash and then they rinsed them with pure. Sounds like a f**king idiot ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back