Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Diesel water heater

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I seem to be having issues with my 9kw boiler recently, its 4 years old in April, its started shutting it self down around midday/afternoon. My front stat only works occasionally too!

I think I may have diagnosed it as a battery issue, most mornings I switch it on via controller it starts up fine, do have the odd day where I have to try a couple of times.

Sometimes bat flashes on controller, if I keep the engine running later in the day its fine. 

My reels seem to be very slow also, there fine when engine is on. 

3 batteries in the van, and split relay.
What voltage are you getting on the batteries? Sounds like you are running them down way too low.

What amp hour batteries do you have and how old are they ? Sounds like they might need replacing this cold weather will sort out any batteries that are last there best .
Not actually sure, I know one was changed around 12months ago, others will be 3-4 years old. I will check tomorrow on amp hour of batteries. 

What coolant do you use to top the burner up with? 

Could do with finding someone locally to service it.

What voltage are you getting on the batteries? Sounds like you are running them down way too low.
Not 100% sure, I will test them, just started diagnosing the problem past few days, thought it may have been controller. 

12.9 on controller, but that does drop throughout the day, engine off, 13.2 engine on. 

Really want to try sort the frost stat also. 

Not actually sure, I know one was changed around 12months ago, others will be 3-4 years old. I will check tomorrow on amp hour of batteries. 

What coolant do you use to top the burner up with? 

Could do with finding someone locally to service it.
We use long life red car anti freeze mixed 50-50 with water 

Its webasto 9kw 

From x-line 
Ok , if you have a wabasto service centre near you give them a call if it needs servicing, but generally they either work or they  dont . Sounds like it could be a battery issue , it’s always best to replace all batteries at the same time otherwise the draw and charge will be different, especially when running boilers they use a lot of power especially on start up 

Ok , if you have a wabasto service centre near you give them a call if it needs servicing, but generally they either work or they  dont . Sounds like it could be a battery issue , it’s always best to replace all batteries at the same time otherwise the draw and charge will be different, especially when running boilers they use a lot of power especially on start up 
OK, I will do Monday! 

What batteries would you recommend, going to be pricey buying 3! 

Thanks for the help. 

OK, I will do Monday! 

What batteries would you recommend, going to be pricey buying 3! 

Thanks for the help. 
Don’t see that you would need 3 two decent ones will run the pumps, electric reels and boiler for a two man system 2x115 amp batteries should be ok provided you mains charge them every night using a decent smart charger . 

The batteries are joined together so charge at the same rate together .we have two AGM haze 180 gell extra heavy duty  batteries per van running up to 3 pumps , 2 electric reels , and 9 kw boiler 8 hours a day .
Do you have a split charge relay for it aswell or just charge at nights 

So, been having a think about diesel hot water and this popped up on YouTube. https://youtu.be/i4B4IfcoDc8

I've contacted the seller and they are going for 350usd plus whatever customs duty at the moment. 

Would this heat my 500l tank up enough? 

Last edited by a moderator:
So, been having a think about diesel hot water and this popped up on YouTube. https://youtu.be/i4B4IfcoDc8

I've contacted the seller and they are going for 350usd plus whatever customs duty at the moment. 

Would this heat my 500l tank up enough? 
That’s 16 kw most of us use 9 kw wabasto heaters , most window cleaners heat the water in the boiler and it then goes onto the glass and then you have a return to tank feed to keep the boiler running between jobs and that will heat the tank up gradually , a cheaper alternative would be an immersion heater if you want a tank full of warm water Mobutu the tank would need to be insulated well tk keep the heat in .

We use these in our larger vans, they do run 9kw Thermo, two electric hose reels, two pumps all day 5-6 days a week.

Will set you back circa £500 + or there about, but incredible AGM batteries from Canada. 

These are the best on the market and rarely degrade. 10+ year lifetime if charged weekly by mains and have a split charge relay in place. Even if you completely deplete it, it will almost fully recharge, unlike cheaper lead or AGM batteries.

https://www.rollsbattery.com/battery/r12-260agm/

Latest Posts

Back