Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DIY Commercial static reverse osmosis system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That's fair enough. If it works for you then that's fine.

If it (submersible float switch) is designed to work in water for 230v submersible pumps then my reasoning was that its OK for me to use together with earth leakage/RCD.

Now my question is if the water inside the IBC tank is pure, will it conduct electricity should a short occur?
It's always been classed as a poor conductor but who's going to sit in it with a hairdryer and find out. 

Providing all terminations are made correctly and enclosed within a IP68 enclosure or greater i don't see any issues. 

If it (submersible float switch) is designed to work in water for 230v submersible pumps then my reasoning was that its OK for me to use together with earth leakage/RCD.
The submersible pump and float switch was designed to be used in water. So will have passed all safety specs necessary.

Using normal 230v ac powered stuff near water is asking for trouble. It's like working off ladders, mostly it's safe unless something goes wrong or you do something silly! Sorry bad analogy but you get what I mean?

It's so much safer to keep 230v as far away from water as possible. 

You are relying on an RCD to protect your life!!! Is it really worth the risk?

As for is pure conductive? Well I would be surprised if anyone's IBC is earthed correctly so if there is a 230v fault and the tank becomes live it wouldn't necessarily trip an RCD until you ground it using your body!!! 

Bottom line is keep 230v ac as far away from water as possible. 

Thanks for all your help so far ? 

I'm going to get the 12v solenoid valve and float switch posted earlier and was wondering if the below would work?

Fit a 3 way solenoid valve to the ro waste before the gate valve with timer relay switch set for 5 mins.  Take a electrical feed from the float solenoid, so when the water level drops, the water starts to flow, activates the timer which diverts the waste directly to the drain (avoiding the gate valve so essentially flushing).  After 5 mins the timer relay diverts the water to the gate valve.  Fit another 3 way solenoid to the pure side with another timer switch running off the float solenoid set for 10 mins.  When activated, this would send the water to the drain (dumping initial high tds RO water), and then after 10 mins timer activates the diverter to DI and to tank.  

Simples?  Or fire extinguisher / waste of time and money?

You don't need 3 way solenoid valves. ie on the waste out from the RO put in a tee. Feed one side of tee to gate valve as normal. Feed other side of tee to solenoid valve then out of solenoid to another tee after the gate valve. So when the solenoid is open waste bypasses the gate valve. Water will always flow via the path of least resistance so it will bypass the gate valve.

Same idea on di. Put a tee in before di and a solenoid on the tee to drain off creep tds water. The di is a more difficult path so water will use solenoid path to drain.

What you are suggesting is what 'auto fill and flush' systems do. I'm not sure I have seen one bypass di to drain to get rid of the tds creep water. Must admit I hadn't though of that.

If you are any good at coding you can do the timer sort of things with arduinos and relays.

You don't need 3 way solenoid valves. ie on the waste out from the RO put in a tee. Feed one side of tee to gate valve as normal. Feed other side of tee to solenoid valve then out of solenoid to another tee after the gate valve. So when the solenoid is open waste bypasses the gate valve. Water will always flow via the path of least resistance so it will bypass the gate valve.

Same idea on di. Put a tee in before di and a solenoid on the tee to drain off creep tds water. The di is a more difficult path so water will use solenoid path to drain.

What you are suggesting is what 'auto fill and flush' systems do. I'm not sure I have seen one bypass di to drain to get rid of the tds creep water. Must admit I hadn't though of that.

If you are any good at coding you can do the timer sort of things with arduinos and relays.
Great advice thanks.

I'm thinking of the below wiring diagram:

16010505581332461279108846411750.jpg

Latest Posts

Back