Do gutter vacs actually work?

Discussion in 'Gutter & Fascia Cleaning' started by MrBump, Aug 24, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. MrBump

MrBump Guest

#1 MrBump, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
    As the title says. I know ladders are better, cheaper etc etc, but:

1. I'm not getting up ladders if I can help it and 2. Most of the jobs that I'm quoting for have awkward access that I wouldn't be able to use a ladder for anyway.

I have enough jobs to pay for a vac, but I want to know if they really work. Whats the consensus? It seems some say they work and some say they don't. I'll get a 3000w vac and some cf poles. So its either the vacs work great I'll get one and do the jobs and everyones happy or of they don't work I won't get one and turn the jobs down. Whats everyones experience, do they really work?

Advertisement
  2. Jake

Jake Grand Master

Some will swear by them, some won't,

I think there rubbish, you've gotta have power for a start, you have to drag it about, it's a right faff, it's cumbersome, annoying and noisy, not to mention half the time you can't get the hook part in the gutters! It's like working blind,

It's much much MUCH faster to use a gutter clearing device and get up a ladder mate, I could not believe how easy and fast those gutter adapters do the job - it's almost embarrassing!

Here's mine in action, so easy, so fast!
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

That said, anything 3 story and above, then defo defo use a gutter vac...

3. Jake

Jake Grand Master

http://progutter.co.uk

B&Q sell them, I got the half round and D shaped ones, they just screw onto any Harris pole

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. spanish pete

spanish pete Active Member

I have to agree 100% with the above the progutter kit and a good ladder cannot be beaten. Both about 20% the cost of a good gutter vac.

5. Utterly Gutterly

I agree with Jake, however, there are certain jobs i couldn't have done without a vac - see pics. (not including 3 storey). I use progutter tools 90% of the time but I wouldn't be without the vac.
    The biggest problem with vacs can be, if you don't have a camera you don't know if you have cleaned out the gutter 100%.
    IMG_0415.jpg IMG_0455.jpg IMG_0530.jpg IMG_1082[1].jpg

6. MrBump

MrBump Guest

Cheers dude. 2 of the jobs are 3 storey, ones an oversized 2 storey, ones huge, ones got lots of gutters over a massive conservatory... I'll need a vac if I'm going to do them. I have a camera to see up there. Speeds not really my concern, won't be doing many anyway, not like windows where you need to bash out as many as poss in a day. I will defo use those poles and hooks on bungalows though! :D

So do they actually work when needed? Can you be confident when you turn up, however long or awkward it is, that you will leave with the gutters cleaned with your vac?

7. MrBump

MrBump Guest

As I said in the original post, I'm not getting up ladders that high for a few quid, I have enough work to pay for the vac and they have awkward access. No-ones gonna convince me to get up ladders that high for some gutter money! :p

8. Jake

Jake Grand Master

No as I said bump, for three story then defo get a gutter vac, but anything that's easy to reach at normal two story then it's better to use gutter pro on Harris pole... Minimal setup, and much easier work.

You will find out how awkward it is to use a gutter vac soon ;) it's quite funny watching people use them at times, it's like a crystal maze challenge!

But they are good for really high and hard to rach gutters, that's for sure!

Don't be afraid to use ladders for two story houses though.. And also you don't need the customer to be in when you use the gutter pro, as you don't need power !

9. MrBump

MrBump Guest

Cool I used to love crystal maze, always did wish I'd gone on it :D These customers have to be in to let me their electric gates so that'll be fine ;) I won't be getting on a ladder up over a bungalow gutter no matter how much easier it is :p

Just as long as they work good enough then thats good enough for me :D

10. MrBump

MrBump Guest

Dinner bump... Anyone else have any experience using gutter vacs and if they get the jobs done?

Advertisement