Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

do you put the cleaning liquid onto the applicator or into the water?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tried a spray bottle on my house this morning with good results could be better than lugging a bucket of water around all day when I do estates .
Get an unger bottle pouch and your sorted. I'v used my bucket once since I got a spray bottle and that was for cleaning my floor.

That's what I was thinking of getting also handy when I do an estate of pensioners bungalows only way to get to back is through bungalow
It's a quick and easy. I'd recommend getting two or three bottles. Nothing worse than one getting damaged or you run out of water and forget to take your barrel with you.

I wet applicator with water, bead of detergent of choice on each side and pop into boab. A bottle of water with pull opener on belt to add to applicator as and when during cleans.

I've seen loads of polz n bladz vids on YouTube where he dunks applicator in water and then puts a bit of soap on the glass. He adds more soap,if he needs it.

Seems like there's a few variants of a similar way of doing it. But as long as they all work then that's the main thing.

I've seen loads of polz n bladz vids on YouTube where he dunks applicator in water and then puts a bit of soap on the glass. He adds more soap,if he needs it.

Seems like there's a few variants of a similar way of doing it. But as long as they all work then that's the main thing.
Bob's way is the best way to have your mix exactly how you want it all the time but i find the spray bottle quicker

I add fairy platinum to my pad and keep a fairy bottle in my pouch belt. it sees me through a good few houses as i do pole tops and trad bottoms.
Great topic. I combined some of your Good ideas. Did my first morning with bucket staying in van. I do mainly large bungalows in rural area. Dunk applicator before each job, add solution to applicator  from bottle, carry small spray bottle if required on last few windows. Thank you all.

Great topic. I combined some of your Good ideas. Did my first morning with bucket staying in van. I do mainly large bungalows in rural area. Dunk applicator before each job, add solution to applicator  from bottle, carry small spray bottle if required on last few windows. Thank you all.
Do you detail (wipe round the edges)?

Allways along the top just in case. I use the moerman accelerator so usually no need to on other edges. Having a few issues with lines so following advice on the forum  to eradicate this issue as well. 
If you spray the glass as opposed to a squirt, then use the washpad squeezed out to spread the water out, then blade it off, it will be better than squirting from a bottle of some kind, because you will put too much water on the glass. The object is not to wet the washpad - no dunking,  just spray. Make sure the washpad is wet, but not dripping, wring it out by hand before you start. It's a careful balance to get the right amount of water on the glass.

If you spray the glass as opposed to a squirt, then use the washpad squeezed out to spread the water out, then blade it off, it will be better than squirting from a bottle of some kind, because you will put too much water on the glass. The object is not to wet the washpad - no dunking,  just spray. Make sure the washpad is wet, but not dripping, wring it out by hand before you start. It's a careful balance to get the right amount of water on the glass.
Thanks, that makes sense,  I will continue to experiment. Its certainly more efficient without carrying a bucket around.

Thanks, that makes sense,  I will continue to experiment. Its certainly more efficient without carrying a bucket around.
I've realised that you use the accelerator, so all this I told you might not apply, because the accelerator is a 'one-pass' squeegee system, which, personally I don't agree with. it doesn't get the bird poo and insect spots off, and it should really only be used on windows that are done often, like shops.

I've realised that you use the accelerator, so all this I told you might not apply, because the accelerator is a 'one-pass' squeegee system, which, personally I don't agree with. it doesn't get the bird poo and insect spots off, and it should really only be used on windows that are done often, like shops.
It's a normal applicator I use (on a T bar)

This has a green rough end which deals with insect spots. Sometimes I think it would be better if it was all made of this material. I pass the applicator over the glass 3 or 4 times..more if it needs it. What you have told me is relevant and I will try it. Thanks. 

It's a normal applicator I use (on a T bar)

This has a green rough end which deals with insect spots. Sometimes I think it would be better if it was all made of this material. I pass the applicator over the glass 3 or 4 times..more if it needs it. What you have told me is relevant and I will try it. Thanks. 
that's OK then!!!

Just got back from holiday and ordered Unger sprayer at moment still messing about with soap mix with hand sprayer how much more soap do you put in compared to bucket

Just got back from holiday and ordered Unger sprayer at moment still messing about with soap mix with hand sprayer how much more soap do you put in compared to bucket
Do you mean the 'sprayer on a belt'? you can make one yourself quite easily. I had the Unger one, but it has to clip onto your belt, which in my case got in the way a bit. But either one you will find it a lot better. Let me know how you get on.

Will do .Trying ordinary hand sprayer till Unger one turns up but seems a lot less hassle spraying onto glass less / no detailing and no buckets to carry .

Rugby your right full week and bucket has not been out of the van , so much easier and quicker not having to bend down to dip applicator .WCW stuffed up and sent belt instead of sprayer but was sorted y next day . Biggest problem is stopping it coming off belt when bending to do patio doors but will try modifying it . Have to work with less soap in mixture or it tends to leave lines when working in the sun .

Back