Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Does anybody have a Fiat doblo / Vauxhall combo with a facelift compact?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

RickyG

Does anybody have a Fiat Doblo / Vauxhall combo with a facelift compact? looking to bolt one in up against the bulkhead to use out the side door so i still have a bit of space left at the rear but looks like the fuel tank is in the way (i could drop it) on one side and a void area below the bulkhead with no access, i presume it is where the rear footwell would be in a crew van, don't fancy it strapped in as i do a bit of fast road... well fast for a doblo just cant see any straight forward way of fixing it down

I don't have one but when I was looking to buy a van I though that the facelift Combos/Doblo had an access panel behind the seats to get access to the void between the internal van floor and the 'chassis' floor. Not sure if you would need to bolt through the void and to the underside with spreaders as the inner floor isn't structural - well I don't think it is. You may also need some 'spacers' to go between the floor and the false floor where the bolts go through otherwise you could crush the false floor when you tighten the bolts!
Dropping the tank down a little to get bolts in is quite normal, just watch you don't drill too far and hit the tank!

It might be worth asking who ever is selling the system if they have a fitting service and how much it is. Might be less hassle.

Get in touch with a company called Zero DS Water Fed Pole - they sell systems but also fit systems, they come out to you and fit them on your driveway so it's very convenient. I think I paid £600 for them to fit my PureFreedom system in the new van and that included the fuel (they're down south and I'm up north) - they'll be able to advise you at the very least.

@ched999uk @JohnDoeWindows ive seen the tank in a doblo it was a bit nearer the back wheels rather than the bulkhead, my pal has an MOT centre so i quickly run it over the pit this afternoon it looks like it would be a bit of a performance up against the bulkhead as chad says with the false floor and sods law the other side aligns up with a cross member :rolleyes:
My pal reckons its not a good idea to bolt through the chassis cross member, done properly its ok but from an insurance view if something happened im on my own so ill just move it 6 inch further back so there's room for spreader plates underneath and fix it in with 10.9 nuts & bolts

@ched999uk @JohnDoeWindows ive seen the tank in a doblo it was a bit nearer the back wheels rather than the bulkhead, my pal has an MOT centre so i quickly run it over the pit this afternoon it looks like it would be a bit of a performance up against the bulkhead as chad says with the false floor and sods law the other side aligns up with a cross member :rolleyes:
My pal reckons its not a good idea to bolt through the chassis cross member, done properly its ok but from an insurance view if something happened im on my own so ill just move it 6 inch further back so there's room for spreader plates underneath and fix it in with 10.9 nuts & bolts
Try and use stainless fittings (of the appropriate grade) and paint all holes to seal the edges as best as you can. Any spreader plates should also be protected from corrosion - stone chip pain is quite good. Streamline installed my system (before I bought the van with it in) and they didn't paint the spreader plates. They do have surface rust on but I am loathed to drop the 2 tanks (diesel + Adblue) just to clean them and give them a coat of hammerite or something, they do seem to be about 4mm thick so should be fine for a good few years. Maybe this summer I should do it.
While bolting through the chassis seems the best option it does concern me that drilling a reasonable hole through the structural chassis rails without sleeving and welding is reducing the strength of the chassis.

When you leave a gap to the bulkhead maybe think what you could store there and leave appropriate room i.e. a telescopic ladder, gutter poles etc

Try and use stainless fittings (of the appropriate grade) and paint all holes to seal the edges as best as you can. Any spreader plates should also be protected from corrosion - stone chip pain is quite good. Streamline installed my system (before I bought the van with it in) and they didn't paint the spreader plates. They do have surface rust on but I am loathed to drop the 2 tanks (diesel + Adblue) just to clean them and give them a coat of hammerite or something, they do seem to be about 4mm thick so should be fine for a good few years. Maybe this summer I should do it.
While bolting through the chassis seems the best option it does concern me that drilling a reasonable hole through the structural chassis rails without sleeving and welding is reducing the strength of the chassis.

When you leave a gap to the bulkhead maybe think what you could store there and leave appropriate room i.e. a telescopic ladder, gutter poles etc
Stainless steel bolts arnt generally suitable for bolting in tanks as they have a low tensile strength

Stainless steel bolts arnt generally suitable for bolting in tanks as they have a low tensile strength
Yes the 'standard' stainless you buy isn't high tensile strength but there are some available. I think A4 stainless is very close to 8.8 bolts.

@Den I'm sure has a facelift system in a Vauxhall combo/fiat doblo, I have a PureFreedom 350ltr system fitted in my 64 plate combo
Yes I have the long wheel base combo with the compact system facing out of side door, my mate fitted think it was straight forward bolted it thru the floor.

Back