Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tank across Bulkhead or Lengthways ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

i used to have rubber mats down in the back of my old van.....by the way you dont need to put protectakote on your van floor,its messy to apply and its very toxic,your van will stink for ages.....if you havent got plastic load liner down then id order some for your particular van and put that down to protect the floor....

Went to a van conversion and lining place today and I am awaiting a quote. He said don't get ply down on floor as even if you coat it, if it chips then water can get in there. He said they do the fleet of a big national cleaners over here and that is exactly what happened to their vans and was finding wood lice in their vans... so he doesn't recommend it. Said VW Caddy are bit more difficult to bolt the tank down as might have to drop the fuel tank underneath (few have mentioned it on here previously) depending on dimensions of my system. Getting quote for coating on floor, coated ply on sides and door, slam locks for each door, tank fitted and small signage.

I wasn't going to get signage but I think I will as I don't want people to think that it's a tradesman van with expensive tools etc. Maybe if I specify that it is window cleaning, it might put potential thieves off. I had an absolute nightmare getting insurance over here in Ireland as having a water tank in a van is considered a "Modification". A lot of companies wouldn't go near me and few that did were pricey. Insurance over here is a nightmare, didn't help I had to claim on the insurance last year. Got proper fisted ?

Just want to get everything done at this stage, been a bit of a saga to be honest.

Hi fellas I'm just starting up and I see some of you have a 500 litre tank in your caddy maxi. I have a caddy maxi which I was thinking of selling for a bigger van as I didn't think I could fit a 500 litre tank in due to the weight etc. I'd like  to keep my caddy really so what system would I be best putting in it ? And do you guys fill up at smart water sites ? Or purify your own at home ? Thanks

I'm waiting to get my 325L compact system installed in Caddy Maxi. I think the payload is between 736kg approx so not sure is 500l is pushing it a wee bit. I'm purifying from home as not many smart water sites if any over here. My system is DI with built in filtration. I have a 25l DI resin vessel out back though and have been making pure in 25l containers for awhile now. Hope to get an ibc tank to store pure out my back so I can just transfer it in. Lads on here know alot more than me about van setups and the issues that arise. I've been using PF trolley for good while now but i'm still a relative newbie to the whole van system so will be able to answer your questions better than myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting to get my 325L compact system installed in Caddy Maxi. I think the payload is between 736kg approx so not sure is 500l is pushing it a wee bit. I'm purifying from home as not many smart water sites if any over here. My system is DI with built in filtration. I have a 25l DI resin vessel out back though and have been making pure in 25l containers for awhile now. Hope to get an ibc tank to store pure out my back so I can just transfer it in. Lads on here know alot more than me about van setups and the issues that arise. I've been using PF trolley for good while now but i'm still a relative newbie to the whole van system so will be able to answer your questions better than myself.
Thanks for the info Dan , we have a smart water site here in Crewe so I may go down that road until I can afford a bigger van with better system inside. What pump and poles brushes etc would you recommend?  

Went to a van conversion and lining place today and I am awaiting a quote. He said don't get ply down on floor as even if you coat it, if it chips then water can get in there. He said they do the fleet of a big national cleaners over here and that is exactly what happened to their vans and was finding wood lice in their vans... so he doesn't recommend it. Said VW Caddy are bit more difficult to bolt the tank down as might have to drop the fuel tank underneath (few have mentioned it on here previously) depending on dimensions of my system. Getting quote for coating on floor, coated ply on sides and door, slam locks for each door, tank fitted and small signage.

I wasn't going to get signage but I think I will as I don't want people to think that it's a tradesman van with expensive tools etc. Maybe if I specify that it is window cleaning, it might put potential thieves off. I had an absolute nightmare getting insurance over here in Ireland as having a water tank in a van is considered a "Modification". A lot of companies wouldn't go near me and few that did were pricey. Insurance over here is a nightmare, didn't help I had to claim on the insurance last year. Got proper fisted ?

Just want to get everything done at this stage, been a bit of a saga to be honest.

Most small car derived vans have a fuel tank issue when fitting a tank. All the people carrier versions have their fuel tanks under what would be the back seat, and someone law says that is where one row of bolts would go to secure the tank.

Thanks for the info Dan , we have a smart water site here in Crewe so I may go down that road until I can afford a bigger van with better system inside. What pump and poles brushes etc would you recommend?  
That's great it's in your local happy days. Shurflo, Aquatec pumps and I think WCW do one called Flojet. My system came as a package deal so I didn't have to source anything.

As regards pole brushes, I suppose it depends on your type of work & bit of a difficult one to answer to be honest. I do commercial so I like wider brushes with fan jets but it seems sill brush with pencil jets is the brush of choice from the experienced domestic guys on here although they would best answer that. So many poles, brushes, adapters etc it can rack up and what's good for me might not be good for you, it really is personal preference. Unfortunately you have buy them and used them to make up your mind & like most on here I have bought stuff and then never used it again because it just wasn't for me.

Most small car derived vans have a fuel tank issue when fitting a tank. All the people carrier versions have their fuel tanks under what would be the back seat, and someone law says that is where one row of bolts would go to secure the tank.
That's good to know that is a common issue. Guy really seemed to know his stuff, still waiting on a break down on the quote so I know where i stand. This must be the slowest process in history get tank, changing the van and then getting everything fitted. I should have just went over the the missus mother in Cardiff and got everything done in the UK. We are just a ways behind over here it seems with WFP.

That's great it's in your local happy days. Shurflo, Aquatec pumps and I think WCW do one called Flojet. My system came as a package deal so I didn't have to source anything.

As regards pole brushes, I suppose it depends on your type of work & bit of a difficult one to answer to be honest. I do commercial so I like wider brushes with fan jets but it seems sill brush with pencil jets is the brush of choice from the experienced domestic guys on here although they would best answer that. So many poles, brushes, adapters etc it can rack up and what's good for me might not be good for you, it really is personal preference. Unfortunately you have buy them and used them to make up your mind & like most on here I have bought stuff and then never used it again because it just wasn't for me.

That's good to know that is a common issue. Guy really seemed to know his stuff, still waiting on a break down on the quote so I know where i stand. This must be the slowest process in history get tank, changing the van and then getting everything fitted. I should have just went over the the missus mother in Cardiff and got everything done in the UK. We are just a ways behind over here it seems with WFP.

Dropping the fuel tank sounds like a major task and they could well try to pad the quote on the perception of the job being a major one. It isn't with the right equipment. Its much easier on a ramp with a jack to support and lower the tank. In most cases its a couple of straps held with 4 bolts and they can usually drop the tank at an angle so they don't have to remove the filler pipe.

It will make it much easier if the tank is as empty as possible.

Dropping the fuel tank sounds like a major task and they could well try to pad the quote on the perception of the job being a major one. It isn't with the right equipment. Its much easier on a ramp with a jack to support and lower the tank. In most cases its a couple of straps held with 4 bolts and they can usually drop the tank at an angle so they don't have to remove the filler pipe.

It will make it much easier if the tank is as empty as possible.
Brilliant, nice for me to go back to them armed with that information just incase they try to pull a fast one.

my local garage had to drop the fuel tank in my old connect to fit my tank through the floor....its no problem for a professional garage with hydraulic lifts......they charged me £80 to fit my tank.....saves me messing about.....cheap too IMO.....

@Daniel Perkins where did you end up getting your van insurance? I'm based in Dublin as well and looking for insurance? 

I went up to sureclean to get my tank fitted, bit of a drive but the fitting price was decent. Couldn't find anyone local. 

@Daniel Perkins where did you end up getting your van insurance? I'm based in Dublin as well and looking for insurance? 

I went up to sureclean to get my tank fitted, bit of a drive but the fitting price was decent. Couldn't find anyone local. 
Went with a broker and they sourced the insurance company some spurious company i've never heard of. I was  considering going up there myself but i'm asking around local at moment, guy that is doing the spray lining and ply said he'll have a look at it. Did you buy the tank from Sureclean?

No, but it's  a wydale tank so it would have been cheaper to buy it from them. I bought one with a view to getting the frame made and fitted here. But long story short, it just became a better option to spend a day going to sureclean and that ticked all the boxes. Did all the wiring and plumbing myself. Let us know how you get on with the quote for fitting the tank, good for future reference!

No, but it's  a wydale tank so it would have been cheaper to buy it from them. I bought one with a view to getting the frame made and fitted here. But long story short, it just became a better option to spend a day going to sureclean and that ticked all the boxes. Did all the wiring and plumbing myself. Let us know how you get on with the quote for fitting the tank, good for future reference!
Cheers for the info pal and I could very well take trip up there if this doesn't pan out.

Latest Posts

Back