Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Viably employing extra staff.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I would rather buy shares in BP and collect the quarterly dividend than invest in property and I'm a joiner. I think property is heading down the way now and all the rights are for the tenant. Premium bonds is another good investment as so are one year isa bond at nearly 6%.
The BP dividend is decent but there are cheaper shares with as good as or better dividends and the potential of more growth.

I would rather buy shares in BP and collect the quarterly dividend than invest in property and I'm a joiner. I think property is heading down the way now and all the rights are for the tenant. Premium bonds is another good investment as so are one year isa bond at nearly 6%.

1st rule of investing, “ never put all your eggs in one basket”.
Just stick some money each month in an All World Tracker, forget it and get on with your life.

Just stick some money each month in an All World Tracker, forget it and get on with your life.
Premium bonds I have found well worth it my wife and I both have the maximum in them every month is a winner some very good wins and your investment is in tact

Warren Buffet was saying put all your stuff in one basket and hold it tight. No you are correct, Vanguard is a good fund but shares will hit a low in 2028 so I will wait till then.

Its pretty simple

Build the round till you are a week or 2 behind constanly working 5 days a week then employ someone full time.

Then repeat until infinity.

Lot easier said than done as soon as you add someone into your business it all goes tits up... that why most who try employing go back to being on their own as its a lot more profitable and a lot less stress. takes a certain type to be able to deal with employees i dont have the patience.

Its pretty simple

Build the round till you are a week or 2 behind constanly working 5 days a week then employ someone full time.

Then repeat until infinity.

Lot easier said than done as soon as you add someone into your business it all goes tits up... that why most who try employing go back to being on their own as its a lot more profitable and a lot less stress. takes a certain type to be able to deal with employees i dont have the patience.
I've started raising my prices rather than build a round with plenty of mediocre customers. Better too have less and all good quality cleans and no hassle. I think that is the way forward but all too their own.

Yes quality customers is good and a high profit but I found occasional if I had someone helping me a lot of customers didn’t want them cleaning their windows only me hence why I decided to stay by myself but charge well less hassle but still a very good return

You're absolutely right mate , that's why I started to get out of the property game myself only have literally two rentals left now, And the only reason why I'm not selling is because I feel sorry for the tenants rents have gone up And they can't afford to move but sadly I will have to sell as well.. I'm just trying to delay it for now to see.

Now when it comes to shares that's something I need to get involved in however I don't like the risk factor because shares can go down and you can lose capital It's definitely more volatile than property.. to be honest with you I'm looking at this 6% simple bank saving account thing I'm just going to wait until September's interest rate review and probably go at that point and lock in, I suppose that will help with me stepping back as well..

Yes quality customers is good and a high profit but I found occasional if I had someone helping me a lot of customers didn’t want them cleaning their windows only me hence why I decided to stay by myself but charge well less hassle but still a very good return
I used to get exactly the same they wanted me to do the job not staff I just explained that I cannot do everything I did end up loosing a few customers but in the grand scheme of things if you want to expand you have to employ most understand this and it’s not been a problem since the initial transition 20 odd years ago

Now when it comes to shares that's something I need to get involved in however I don't like the risk factor because shares can go down and you can lose capital It's definitely more volatile than property.. to be honest with you I'm looking at this 6% simple bank saving account thing I'm just going to wait until September's interest rate review and probably go at that point and lock in, I suppose that will help with me stepping back as well..
There is risk involved but when trading on the stock markets only risk what you can afford to lose, you'll definitely lose some money because that's how it is more so at the moment with how things are a potential recession on the horizon and even if it doesn't happen things are slowing down the housing market for one and that has a knock-on effect across the board,

When the pandemic really hit share prices plummeted I only wish I had been buying shares in the aftermath as my returns would have been a lot greater now, but even the sugar rush budget saw to it that shares lost value it's happening now with housebuilders and even some other big companies like Aviva, for example, its share price is down 17.78% over the last year but it currently pays a quarterly dividend of 7.95%

Rolls Royce, I bought a load of shares last year at 80p a share and then again in January They are currently priced at £2.20, There aren't any others that are likely to do as well that I'm aware of at the moment but there are still some very good gains to be made, I have only been share trading a year so still a novice my losses are around 40% but my overall gains are over 170% my pension which I don't manage had lost £1,000's this past financial year based on my gains on trading I could have almost tripled my pension pot

One I wished I had bought in the last 6 months was Alphabet aka Google it was trading at $90 a share it's now at $136 which is a 47.73% increase it might still be a buy yet as these American tech shares can fly but I may have missed the boat. I'm waiting for housebuilder's share prices to drop even further over the next few months then I'll buy when I feel the time is right Taylor Wimpey is the cheapest of the biggest housebuilders

Last edited:
I'm not buying any shares till 2028 when I expect indexes to make a low. Only one honest thing in share indexes and that's the Trend. The Dow trend is now down and the Nasdaq could crash after China preventing its workers from using Apple phones.

I'm not buying any shares till 2028 when I expect indexes to make a low. Only one honest thing in share indexes and that's the Trend. The Dow trend is now down and the Nasdaq could crash after China preventing its workers from using Apple phones.
Scottish my good man although there is some truth in what you say, you must thrive on throwing a bit of :poop: in, Was your mam Mystique Meg by any chance :unsure:

Scottish my good man although there is some truth in what you say, you must thrive on throwing a bit of :poop: in, Was your mam Mystique Meg by any chance :unsure:
Not called mystic mick for nothing. We have not had a recession for decades so the next one will be deeper and maybe a depression. I paid £5k in 2002 to attend a futures trading seminar and it was worth every penny of it. Only way governments can balance the books is by raising Vat, Tax and cutting spending. They have raised Tax but I believe the other two won't be far behind. If you can lock away 6% interest rate for your pension then its a no brainer but most folk are greedy and want more so they put it into stocks but I think stocks have peaked and will be heading down till 2028. Just my opinion and i hope I'm wrong but very rarely when it comes to money. ?Good Luck because you will need it playing the markets.

Not called mystic mick for nothing. We have not had a recession for decades so the next one will be deeper and maybe a depression. I paid £5k in 2002 to attend a futures trading seminar and it was worth every penny of it. Only way governments can balance the books is by raising Vat, Tax and cutting spending. They have raised Tax but I believe the other two won't be far behind. If you can lock away 6% interest rate for your pension then its a no brainer but most folk are greedy and want more so they put it into stocks but I think stocks have peaked and will be heading down till 2028. Just my opinion and i hope I'm wrong but very rarely when it comes to money. ?Good Luck because you will need it playing the markets.
I thought your name was Malcolm :unsure:

French bank tells clients to back Britain and shun eurozone worth a read as Germany is in a worse mess than us

6% is a joke for a pension, pay into a pension for 30 years plus and earn 6% and year and if you have paid in let's say 250k these days you'll be fortunate enough to get back what you paid in each month paying in £400 a month into a pension lets say is what most people will be lucky to be able to do and that's all they'll get back it's well-known pension fund managers have underperformed for years, it's not about been greedy it's about maximizing an investment,

Stocks and shares will always win because people still need food and fuel and all the other things that we need day to day plus industries as long as the correct ones are picked Warren Buffet, for example, has been trading for years and has always picked big players, stocks are a long-term investment anyway and that's what some people don't get, I accept my losses as they were somewhat expected as the markets have dipped, I'm buying shares when they are down I also do plenty of research as well which is why I've been fortunate to see the gains I have

Last edited:
I thought your name was Malcolm :unsure:

French bank tells clients to back Britain and shun eurozone worth a read as Germany is in a worse mess than us

6% is a joke for a pension, pay into a pension for 30 years plus and earn 6% and year and if you have paid in let's say 250k these days you'll be fortunate enough to get back what you paid in each month paying in £400 a month into a pension lets say is what most people will be lucky to be able to do and that's all they'll get back it's well-known pension fund managers have underperformed for years, it's not about been greedy it's about maximizing an investment,

Stocks and shares will always win because people still need food and fuel and all the other things that we need day to day plus industries as long as the correct ones are picked Warren Buffet, for example, has been trading for years and has always picked big players, stocks are a long-term investment anyway and that's what some people don't get, I accept my losses as they were somewhat expected as the markets have dipped, I'm buying shares when they are down I also do plenty of research as well which is why I've been fortunate to see the gains I have
I was doing some sums for the Gov regarding child benefit. £10 a week for 21 years will return over £22k at a 6% interest rate. So your £100 would return £220k in 21 years. If you were talking about 40 years then it would be far higher. Stock markets are far too high now. I remember the Dow at 6k in 1996 and Nikkie at 40k in 1989. the Dow should follow the Nikkie and head down for a decade and be stagnant. Everything is expand and contract but good luck with your stock picks you will need it. Funds buy stocks for one thing and that's the dividend, no dividend then they don't want them.

Latest Posts

Back