Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Don't know if they have such a thing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

WinstonNorris

I am not particularly looking to start up a business but I would like to buy a pole system to help my family and friends. Perhaps 8-10 houses.

Sounds mad perhaps but I'd like to buy a fiberglass pole with a brush that I can attach to a hosepipe to do windows and if at all possible to remove the brush head and put on these roof scrapers that are various shapes to do my families houses with. I have 4 that are in dormer bungalows and have a lot of moss on the lower roof. We're sharing the cost between us.
I want a decent pole as I want it to last. Can anyone help/suggest what I need and where to buy from?

Many thanks

Winston

You’ll quickly find that the equipment cost will out way any savings made.
Pole, pump, water purification equipment , resin etc etc…..
You’d be better off getting another part time job, and employing a professional ??

For poles look at Gardiner Pole Systems, for water purification look at DAqua, then Gutter Vacuum Systems for scrapers.
A few points you might not realise:
You will probably need a 40ft pole and in fibreglass that will be just way too bendy to be controllable so you will need carbon fibre pole.
Without experience handling a 40ft pole will probably pull all sorts of muscles in your back, shoulders arms, neck and core.
You can't use tap water to clean windows as it has lots of impurities which will leave streaks and lines on the window, this can require chemicals to remove or can even damage the glass over time. You have to use pure water, so you need to know how 'impure' it is to start using a TDS meter (not from ebay or amazon as lots of fake ones about).
Scraping a roof even from the ground takes masses of strength, while the pole might be 'light weight' just think of something 40ft and having that at a 45 degree angle from you. The forces are huge even the people who do this day in day out tend not to work 5 days a week to allow their bodies to recover!

Then there is the issue of insurance, OK so it's family and friends but what happens if you accidentally drop your pole on a their car or a neighbours car, damage the lead flashing while scraping causing a leak that damages a ceiling, to name just a couple of things that could go wrong?

I'm not trying to put you off just trying to inform you of some things to consider.

In all honesty I would suggest getting a pro in as what you think looks easy and 'anyone' could do it isn't.

Let us know how you get on.

I am not particularly looking to start up a business but I would like to buy a pole system to help my family and friends. Perhaps 8-10 houses.

Sounds mad perhaps but I'd like to buy a fiberglass pole with a brush that I can attach to a hosepipe to do windows and if at all possible to remove the brush head and put on these roof scrapers that are various shapes to do my families houses with. I have 4 that are in dormer bungalows and have a lot of moss on the lower roof. We're sharing the cost between us.
I want a decent pole as I want it to last. Can anyone help/suggest what I need and where to buy from?

Many thanks

Winston
I reckon your best bet before you even start buying equipment is to check if there is a local pure water filling station near you such as spotless. If there is one, then I would set up an account with them. You will need to buy some large plastic containers to store the pure water in and I would purchase a gardiner or big boy back pack to use to hold the water in whilst cleaning. These are great as they have a built in pump and controller plus are very portable.

As Ched stated you would be better off with a carbon fibre pole such as a gardiner slx or an ova 8. They come in a range of lengths. For a dormer bungalow you could get away with an 18 footer but if you wanted a pole for roof scraping then maybe a 22 footer would be better. Just bear in mind that the pole feels heavier the more it is extended.

If I knew how much was involved at the beginning I wouldn't have started. Its okay buying bits each month when money comes in and then knowing the round is getting bigger but to try and share the ever expanding cost with neighbours could become a minefield. Good luck.

Back