Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gained A Job From A Johnny Come Lately Wfp Guy Today

WCF

Help Support WCF:

And takes 15 minutes traditional haven't done it for ages cuz don't go to sawston but will check with him first.

Ok mate that's great. Many thanks. I'm not sure that lot from Suffolk still come here as I've picked up a few lately who said they had people from Suffolk who ain't been for ages. Unless they go for bigger stuff now. Again yeah pm his number. Cheers for that.

Last month for example, the daughter of a customer of mine saw her mothers windows i did using wfp, she wanted hers done with wfp, so she ended up dropping her Trad window cleaner and i ended up getting 5 of her neighbours too all of which used to have a Trad window cleaner. The fact you can reach windows on sloping roof and above conservatory roofs etc makes all the difference!
This is the bit I have a problem with, the belief or should I say 'assumption', that you can't clean windows above a sloping roof trad. You see this claim all over wfp websites. Trad, doesn't automatically mean 'with ladders', it means 'with squeegee'. Well actually, I think trad should actually mean 'with chamois' because up until 25 years ago, most WC's still used this method and I actually see this as traditional window cleaning myself, windows were cleaned this way for a lot longer than they have been with a squeegee. I tend to think this label was actually invented by wfp users as a way of trying to out date the squeegee.
Anyway....

(2) Every employer shall ensure that work is not carried out at height where it is reasonably practicable to carry out the work safely otherwise than at height.

However, all window cleaners can comply with the working at height regulations reguardless of whether they use a water fed pole system or not.(Mark Henderson)

It's the use of ladders that H&S are trying to abolish, not the squeegee or the traditional window cleaner. I'm 100% trad and I would never think of leaving a window be it, above a sloping roof, above a conservatory or in a tight passage. There's ways to clean these windows traditionally without the use of ladders and many tools available to assist such as, zero degree squeegee's, swivel action squeegee's and mops, clamps, angled joints and then of course, a pole. A pole is a pole reguardless of what's attached to the top of it and this is what we use to access these difficult windows and has nothing to do with being trad or wfp.

I take great pride in being able to reach these windows and still do a good job and I'm no different to any other tradder other than, I like a challenge. I've spent time watching the youtube vids, I've practised loads, researched and bought the right gear and I love developing my pole techniques. They are improving all the time and I've recently clean 2nd floor windows with relative ease. I love to size up the windows and the obstacles that rule out the ladder, I love the different ways of cutting in and out of the glass and clamping my scrim onto my angle adapter with a plastic clip I picked up 4 for a quid and being able to get the sill.

I've had customers tell me how they've had wfp guys telling them that ladders are illegal now and they have to use a wfp by law. I just wish more guys would look to improve their skills before jumping into the wfp system as an answer to ladders. Personally, and I say this with tongue in cheek, I think I'd die of bordem cleaning windows with a wet broom all day !

Mart.

But after saying that Mart speaking from experience I must admit a wet broom in the right hands can be a very good tool to use too.

But after saying that Mart speaking from experience I must admit a wet broom in the right hands can be a very good tool to use too.
Absolutely Smurf, it's a great tool I'll admit to that. But I think it should be viewed as just that, another tool, rather than a replacement for the traditional window cleaner which, appears to be the general surmise in the window cleaning world. A window cleaner has many tools at his disposal to clean windows of all shape and sizes but, it's wrong to suggest that some windows can't be cleaned using traditional methods which is the point I was trying to make.

Is there a way of cleaning leadeds/Georgian windows at hight or over lids trad from the deck? Serious question, I've no axe to grind against any w/c methods, I'm just curious as I'm not aware of any.

Is there a way of cleaning leadeds/Georgian windows at hight or over lids trad from the deck? Serious question, I've no axe to grind against any w/c methods, I'm just curious as I'm not aware of any.
I have a front only house with leaded windows(diamond shaped), one being over a sloping roof. I always cloth leaded windows, it's the best way to do um in my opinion as the buffing action makes the lead shine too. Leaded windows aren't as bad as people think, they take a little more time which you cover in the price but, they always seem to look shinny when you drive past reguardless of how clean they are.
Anyway, for the difficult one I do, I just attach 2 cloths to my pole, an artificial chamois type I get from Vileda which I've used since the 80's, I use two to help build a decent buffer. I attach using cheap plastic clips simular to these:-

$T2eC16h,!)0E9s37IeSMBRfT,WUI5w~~60_35.JPG

I picked up a pack of 4 or 5 for a quid from the pound shop.

I use this to clean the window and then, attach two microfibres to my pole in the same way and then buff the window to a shine. An angle adapter obviously helps too.

French or Giorgian type windows can be cleaned in the same way as any other window, with squeegee on a pole but, a 6" channel or shorter, would be better although, I've yet to test this as I haven't got any of this type of window above a slope etc, only the type where the frame is on the inside of the glass.

Mart.

Latest Posts

Back