Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

emergency fund for the winter months?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You can pay up to 10% of your total balance in overpayments per year with out penalties.so depending how much you owe them depends how much you can over pay.

The end results still the same reducing your balance and interest you owe quicker.

if I had 40k in savings earning nothing in interest I would be buying the council flat.
With the right to buy discount you could probably buy it out right or have a small mortgage for less than a leased Golf and own an asset.

Last edited by a moderator:
dazmond  you should streamline your bizness and work part time that way you could have 200k on top if your 10k as emergency fund ?     
im down to 4 days a week now...no more than 25 hours per week including end of day jobs and admin,etc.....?...ive finally got this window cleaning lark sussed after 28 years!

You can pay up to 10% of your total balance in overpayments per year with out penalties.so depending how much you owe them depends how much you can over pay.

The end results still the same reducing your balance and interest you owe quicker.

if I had 40k in savings earning nothing in interest I would be buying the council flat.
With the right to buy discount you could probably buy it out right or have a small mortgage for less than a leased Golf and own an asset.
im moving into my missus 4 bed house in the next few years...she will have paid the mortgage off then....im not interested in owning a property or my golf...i like to get a new one every 3 years......i also like to have money behind me .....

With winter coming it's key to be prepared and ready for a cold snap.

It really all depends on where you live geographically and the area of your business.

Money is key however winter isn't a big a hurdle if you've worked in an extreme one before, you should always set aside money to cover yourself regardless of the season change.

Prior planning & preparation prevent P155 poor performance 

Ensue your vehicle is road worthy 

Have you any winter driving experience 

Vehicle weight and handling 

Your and your equipments ability to function in cold weather 

Communication with your customers is key and staying in touch when the white stuff falls out of the sky 

Been there myself mate......I once lived in a car in a pub car park for 2 months in my early 20s....absolutely skint,living hand to mouth....??
I've never actually lived in a car but I have spent the occasional night sleeping in them in tough times while sofa surfing with friends and family as I tried different areas in the hunt for work.
A Hillman Imp while I was looking for work around Watford and Rickmansworth areas around 1983. A tiny car, good job I'm also a little'n. I found some temporary work with a small landscape partnership.

A Vauxhall Viva in South and West London later in the same year. Sometimes, with only a couple of quid in my pocket I had the straight choice of buying a fishcake and chips to satisfy my then enormous appetite or put a gallon of petrol in the car to look for work. Usually the priority went to the fuel.

An acquaintance working for a sub contractor snuck me into a large pipe-laying job in Roehampton and I just started working without having actually been hired. The main contractor crew thought I'd been authorised by their superior (till he arrived and was as confused as they were). He thought I must have been authorised by someone above him. The subby agent paid me as he was happy to be able to claim for another labourer on site. When the truth was found out by the main contractor ( E W Avent of Calne Wiltshire) they laughed at my cheek and resourcefulness and invited me to work with them as a direct employee when they moved to the next job in Sittingbourne, Kent. I worked for them throughout the country for several years before moving on.

When I think back I don't know how I had the neck. It was a whole different life chapter. But, it was character and resilience building. ⚓?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never actually lived in a car but I have spent the occasional night sleeping in them in tough times while sofa surfing with friends and family as I tried different areas in the hunt for work.
A Hillman Imp while I was looking for work around Watford and Rickmansworth areas around 1983. A tiny car, good job I'm also a little'n. I found some temporary work with a small landscape partnership.

A Vauxhall Viva in South and West London later in the same year. Sometimes, with only a couple of quid in my pocket I had the straight choice of buying a fishcake and chips to satisfy my then enormous appetite or put a gallon of petrol in the car to look for work. Usually the priority went to the fuel.

An acquaintance working for a sub contractor snuck me into a large pipe-laying job in Roehampton and I just started working without having actually been hired. The main contractor crew thought I'd been authorised by their superior (till he arrived and was as confused as they were). He thought I must have been authorised by someone above him. The subby agent paid me as he was happy to be able to claim for another labourer on site. When the truth was found out by the main contractor ( E W Avent of Caln Wiltshire) they laughed at my cheek and resourcefulness and invited me to work with them as a direct employee when they moved to the next job in Sittingbourne, Kent. I worked for them throughout the country for several years before moving on.

When I think back I don't know how I had the neck. It was a whole different life chapter. But, it was character and resilience building. ⚓?
I spent four months homeless due to the landlord not keeping up with his payments, rough sleeping, camping in fields and trying to sleep in a full work van was the scariest time of my life because the council wouldn't help me because I wasn't pregnant, subject to domestic violence, a released prisoner, or vulnerable adult suffering from substance abuse or a female.

Just a normal hard working male. The system is screwed and we still have a massive housing crisis in Devon 

With winter coming it's key to be prepared and ready for a cold snap.

It really all depends on where you live geographically and the area of your business.

Money is key however winter isn't a big a hurdle if you've worked in an extreme one before, you should always set aside money to cover yourself regardless of the season change.

Prior planning & preparation prevent P155 poor performance 

Ensue your vehicle is road worthy 

Have you any winter driving experience 

Vehicle weight and handling 

Your and your equipments ability to function in cold weather 

Communication with your customers is key and staying in touch when the white stuff falls out of the sky 
the vast majority of the population south of Yorkshire ain't got a clue what snow is or how to drive in it that's why it's national news when they get 1/2" of snow down south, 

Mind you there are some idiots up here who think they are invincible in a 4 wheel drive seen a few in ditches and on there roofs, we went up Tan Hill the highest pub in England a few years ago after about 12" of snow fall up there, people in normal cars doing 40mph and some getting completely stuck even a stupid couple in massive motorhome having to be pulled down a hill backwards after coming off the road and getting stuck

Both my wife and myself have done a full day off road driving course in a landy defender and also the L200 we had at the time so we knew exactly what it was capable of and to know what to do in bad driving conditions, we learnt it could all go very wrong in a few seconds but thankfully what we were taught that day has stuck with us and helped us avoid accidents. 

I have had michelin agilis crossclimates put on van, supposed to be a good sturdy winter tyre n seemingly can do up to60k miles.
If I was ever to get snow here I'd just let the tires down by 15 psi and drive slower with an increase footprint or stay at home and make a snowman 

do you guys have an emergency fund just in case we have weeks and weeks of bad snowy weather like we had in 2010?luckily i was ok back then and im even more financially comfortable now....ive got over £40,000 in savings now...although only £10k of that is in my emergency fund account.....

i remember weeks of bad weather in the 1990s where i didnt even have any heating or hot water in winter sometimes  and very little food in the cupboard.....those days are behind me now thank god.......

keep putting some money away every weeks lads.....
Maybe back again with massive fuel costs. Food shortages, and possible blackouts ?

If I was ever to get snow here I'd just let the tires down by 15 psi and drive slower with an increase footprint or stay at home and make a snowman 
When we get snow and ice which isn’t that often we don’t work as there is a steep hill going down  and a steep hill going up the valley so we go down the hill on trays and take a few days off ??

It’s the 21st century!!!!!!!!!!

You mean snow person ?
Yes you're politically correct there. Someone could get upset and argue that it's a gender neutral snow person, even although it's just made up of snow. The snow person may not get upset, but there's people out there who could argue that you're being discriminatory about a lump of snow, and that may upset them ⛄️ (Look no winkie)

Latest Posts

Back