Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Extension Reel electric

WCF

Help Support WCF:

theo

Hi Guys,
I have a 2kw immersion in the tank in the back of my van.
Need to replace my extension reel with a safe one.
Plug it into an rcd in the garage.
Any suggestions on rating and suitable model would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Look for one with 2.5mm cable but remember to always fully unwind it before use! If it's even partly wound the eddy currents created can cause it to catch fire and it won't blow a fuse till it's well ablaze!

You want to measure the distance and then get one just a tad longer. This means you will need to roll out the whole reel and prevent heat building up. I have done this with my reel to charge my batteries, complete reel unwound.

Thanks all, much appreciated.
Always have fully unwound the cable but the plug is still quite warm in the morning.
Will definitely use your information on sourcing a new reel.
Probably tomorrow as the storm looms!!

Just be careful running at 2kw all night. I did that one and the plug melted after about a month and was properly charged.

I would recommend using it on a lower setting of possible.

Thanks, I was running it for 10 hours but trying now to reduce that down towards 7.
Only a 350 litre tank.
How good it is to have such helpful contributions, thanks.

Yes, gets up to around 45/50 deg in the tank.
The water out of our diesel heater is around 55 degrees C. By the time it gets to the brush head in winter, it's barely lukewarm. That's a lot of electricity for that result.

According to the calculator, raising the temperature of 350 litres of water from 6 to 50 degrees using a 2kw element will take 9 hours and use 18kwh of electricity. That doesn't account for any heat loss from the water tank etc.

£5 on my smart meter. Use it for big full cleans and on very cold days. First cleans etc.
In fairness I’ve found that even warm water makes a difference, especially on rinsing.
Just ordered the suggested Draper reel, many thanks.

£5 on my smart meter. Use it for big full cleans and on very cold days. First cleans etc.
In fairness I’ve found that even warm water makes a difference, especially on rinsing.
Just ordered the suggested Draper reel, many thanks.
Yes any temperature that’s above ambient will help with rinsing faster more viscus flow .

Yes any temperature that’s above ambient will help with rinsing faster more viscus flow .
Viscus: An internal organ of the body, specifically one within the chest (as the heart or lungs) or abdomen (as the liver, pancreas or intestines). "Viscus" is the Latin word for "an organ of the body." The plural of "viscus" is "viscera."

Care to elaborate ?

Viscus: An internal organ of the body, specifically one within the chest (as the heart or lungs) or abdomen (as the liver, pancreas or intestines). "Viscus" is the Latin word for "an organ of the body." The plural of "viscus" is "viscera."

Care to elaborate ?
Viscus if I have spelt it right is also the thickness of a liquid product that can alter with temperature, or viscosity have the same meaning I believe but one is a shortening of the other ??

Viscus if I have spelt it right is also the thickness of a liquid product that can alter with temperature, or viscosity have the same meaning I believe but one is a shortening of the other ??
I think it's spelt viscous, it is specifically a scientific use of the word as opposed to the human anatomy meaning. I'm not sure if it should be preceded by low or high to indicate how viscous a fluid is.

Latest Posts

Back