Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

failing in canvesing and leaflets help

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What about the obvious stuff:
  • How are you dressing when Canvassing?
  • Are you clean shaven? Smart shoes? Trousers and Shirt? Smart folder under your arm? Good eye contact? Not fast speech?
  • What are you saying?

I find that stuff has the biggest effect. Not area. People buy you for the most part, not your company.

And if there is a "foreign community" -Go clean their local church/mosque for free, they'll soon be asking to have their houses done and pay well for it.
Irrelevant how you dress

I canvass in jeans or shorts and a tshirt and it makes no difference

As for smart folder if younk ock my door with a folder in your hand i would assume you were trying to sign me up to charity stuff or something and tell you to jog on

its true people buy you [not the company] .if you can keep the initial chat going what can have started as a NO can often turn into My sister IS lookin for a cleaner,i can call her,hang on

keeping the initial chat going isnt difficult long as you dont act desperate . acting desperate is by saying things like "isnt it lovely weather " "ah your dogs nice wats its name ?" - instead whats better is to say "my nan used to live next door did u know her? " or "my unc built these houses ,told me they used tobacco leaves as insulation"

@daveyboy agreed, the folder is a distraction..

Started carrying one while canvassing and they clock it right away, and the look of dread on their faces was priceless but yeah not productive at all for us.

I say rock up to that door in whatever your comfiest in,only then will you be uber relaxed anyway.

For me it has always been the same

Say hello and ask the question

Yes or no answer

Move on

I will confidently talk to anyone and that confidence is what I think works for me

@daveyboy agreed, the folder is a distraction..
Started carrying one while canvassing and they clock it right away, and the look of dread on their faces was priceless but yeah not productive at all for us.

I say rock up to that door in whatever your comfiest in,only then will you be uber relaxed anyway.
I have a smartphone in my pocket which i can add new customers into a spreadsheet and email it to myself to update my rounds on the laptop or just connect it with a cable

I have a spreadsheet set up exactly like my round on the laptop so i can just cut from 1 file and paste into the relevant place on the round

No need for big folders nowadays

I be honest with u all I like a bit of stubble I wear a pair or site shorts from screw fix and a polo with logo on it I worked as a salesman for kirby Hoover when I left school I can chew a ear off a elephant I have no problem doing the job at all in fact I find it therapeutic keeps me calm and earns a liveing I dnt carry a clipboard as said above I use my iphone and a good old bit of pen and paper I was a bit of a **** when I grew up and learnd the hard way But I'm finding the local language barrier a problem so have moved away from we're I live will just see how it goes I wnt give up not in my nature if I have to travel a hour a day I will get there I just spent years not haveing to look for work just sent a job sheet and cleaning them thanks for all the replys I have been out for the last 2 days leafleting I will spend the nxt few days banging the doors I've posted to and so on and so forth till I get to we're I want to be I have learnd a lot from this forum by just listening/reading I think I was just struggling due to language barrier even tho I was born in round the corner

I have a smartphone in my pocket which i can add new customers into a spreadsheet and email it to myself to update my rounds on the laptop or just connect it with a cableI have a spreadsheet set up exactly like my round on the laptop so i can just cut from 1 file and paste into the relevant place on the round

No need for big folders nowadays
What spreadsheet set up could do with something like this on my phone any chance of sending me it ?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums app

It's nothing special mate

Just a bog standard excel spreadsheet

Just 1 for monthly and 1 for 2 monthly

1 column for date last cleaned

1 column for date cleaned when you do it

Then address

Price

And then a box for paid

And that's it

Then each month you know at a glance who is due from last months sheet

I copy the whole lot of completed work for the month excluding the date last cleaned and paste into a new page for that months records for mr hmrc

It is so easy as all my work is monthly and 2 monthly

For example for the next couple of days work i would look at my monthly sheet at the 6th and 7th of junes work and look at my 2 monthly sheet at the 6th and 7th of mays work and copy/paste them into my to do sheet and email it to myself and open up on my phone

I couldn't do it if i still offered lots of different frequencies but for monthly and 2 monthly only it is excellent

I can look down the right hand column and see who hasn't paid or sort ascending and have them all bunched together to make it easier to chase people up

Also i have a customer database which is just address..price..name..phone. .frequency. .notes like gate..text..etc

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever method you use to get work ,youve got to make about triple the effort you had in mind if you want guaranteed success. that means churning out regularly to do it . oh yes its boring as hell and sometimes you get foiok all jobs but the next time you go youll strike lucky. thats a sure thing about this job,its the persistance is rewarded

anyone who says they get a good result everytime they canvass is a liar.

I no that I've had a lot more fails lately than successes but the odd few good days make up for it in the long term n boar ur right it's a numbers game orderd a load more leaflets today vista print got a deal on orderd 10000 leaflets for 73 notes including express delivery so will be wearing out anuver pair of trainers in the next few days

Ground and pound the Streets of Essex is my aim for the next few weeks was considering getting a local Muslim canvassing team but missis told me no would rather me work it myself some kind of self work and achievement

Sure you'll do some damage with 10,000 fliers mate. Best of luck!

Currently nursing blisters myself, extra padded socks wouldn't go a miss either me thinks.

decathlon woollen socks nice n soft n stop the blisters but I do no your pain fortnight ago in trainer socks had more blisters than feet had to use the missis foot spa to cool them off

thanks Chris sure it will and yes peter will need to be my missis works 4 days a week at the mo so I can only canvas sat sun and Monday day time normally and evenings just she had a few days off so been hammering it last 2 days and will be out from Friday till Monday night posting then will re run it all thru the week in the evening door bashing

If that's your experience, then that's great.

Personally if someone in shorts came to my door Canvassing, I would say "you already have the shorts so why don't you jog on" :rofl:

Ground and pound the Streets of Essex is my aim for the next few weeks was considering getting a local Muslim canvassing team but missis told me no would rather me work it myself some kind of self work and achievement
Think you're on to sumet there mate, using a canvasser of the same background as customers could have great results!

helps to fold the flyer so the customer has to actually open it to see what it is . i also stuck these View attachment 8169 small smiley face stickers on all my flyers [bought in Staples or poundland , 100 for a quid] . any little extra personal touch can make a real difference to a woman customer in particular

View attachment 8168

altho it mite not look like it ,i put a lot of thought into my flyers and probably put out over 20k of em. the hole punched in one end is to hang them up,its suprising how many i still see yrs later View attachment 8171 when im working,hanging on a fridge magnet or some similar. they really worked for me .

View attachment 8170

altho it mite not look like it ,i put a lot of thought into my flyers and probably put out over 20k of em. the hole punched in one end is to hang them up,its suprising how many i still see yrs later View attachment 11526 View attachment 11527 when im working,hanging on a fridge magnet or some similar. they really worked for me .
I put all my leaflets in blank envelops , this way I no it will get read...in England we get so many leaders drop in our doors that the majority just get scooped up and binned without being read, this way I no it with get looked at.

I like the sticker idea

Back