Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fiesta- Diesel Or Petrol?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

windyman

Hi everyone,

Getting close to changing my wife's car. Pretty set on a Fiesta, it will probably be between 1 & 3 years old.

Question is above though, do I go for the 1.25l petrol or the 1.4tdci???

I keep swapping between the two and can't decide!

I've done all the maths etc. Running the diesel would save me about £300 a year in fuel, and the tax is £70 LESS per year. So maybe a running cost saving of about £400 per yr.

But, of course, the initial outlay on the diesel will likely be a bit more, plus I'm not sure if servicing etc will end up being that little bit more.

My main concern though is which is the more reliable engine??? Anyone have one?

If I get a 3 yr old diesel, am I likely to have more trouble than a 3 yr old petrol??

I had real problems with my van this year, turbo went twice costing £700 a time...so that's kind of put my off turbo diesels, but maybe I'm just scaring myself!!

Any thoughts/input welcome, especially if you own a fiesta.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your comment.

Any reason you say that though??? Do you have one of these?

Don't mean to sound cheeky! Just looking for some solid reasons on which to base my decision...keep going round in circles! :rolleyes:

Like you say its cheaper in fuel and tax!

Diesel might cost more at the pump but it lasts longer then the equivalent version of a petrol car.

The reason it costs more at the pump is because of a greater demand for it, more and more are going towards to the use of Diesel cars.

Really depends on what will you will be doing, anything under 10,000 miles a year I wouldn't bother. And if most of the journeys are short and in the city/town and will barely see the motorway then get a petrol. Newer diesels don't like short trips and will soon give you like the dpf filter etc which isn't cheap to fix usually. And will wipe out any fuel savings you will have made. Not including the higher cost of the diesel in the first place.

Just something to think about, if it's still got a warranty it's not so bad. Just be careful with newer diesels if they go wrong they tend to cost a good bit more the fix then the petrol equivalent :smile:

Back