Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What Car do you drive to clean from

WCF

Help Support WCF:

fast_muchly

Hi
Right at the end of the year im going to be wanting a new 2nd hand car ideally a hybrid , dont want to go all electric to many horror stories at moment of charging points etc etc .

I currently drive a renault megane estate 1.5 diesel 2011 , but i keep my water in a picnic hamper ( plastic ) so keeps it warm in winter . But i do get a bit of spillage , sometimes slops out of hamper and sometimes a bit of spillage from hamper to jug to holster . Now with a new car i want to keep it decent as it will be for pleasure and business . Im also going bungalows only ......no more ladders on top of the car and accessing my private pension allowing me to do this via income drawdown .So as soon as i take the pension the houses and the ladders are gone . At moment i have a plastic liner in car which just slighlty goes up the sides of the car ......anyone use anything different ? .

I also do a bit of fishing so long rod holdalls etc etc need back seat down .

I have thought about having a trailer and working out of that to keep the water away from the main car and this is a possible but does anyone have any good ideas on a hybrid car that would be suitable .....petrol hybrid no dirty diesels now lol . Looking at good fuel economy as well , at moment i get 42mpg around town on a very old diesel .

Watch out for the hybrids when they state fuel economy. The tests are so short they can do most of it on battery so it makes the mpg figure artificially very high.
Most of the plugin hybrids will do 20 to 30 miles purely on battery which might be enough for your round?
The self charging hybrids, to me, are a bit of a cop out that are just hybrid to comply with gov rules for tax breaks etc.

To be honest, I would doubt if any of the hybrids will actually beat your current diesel for fuel consumption in the real world - I think Honest Johns web site list people real life mpg so might be worth looking at that.

I drove a MG ZS full electric the other day and it's impressive for the money - it was a 2020 with 24K on the clock at £16K. It had all the bells and whistles and was quite nippy to say the least. The best bit - it still had a 4 year manufacturers warranty left! Might be worth looking at, main reason we didn't buy it was a couple of really silly things, like the passenger seat wasn't electric and my partner likes to recline and have a nap on long journeys and she was annoyed that drivers seat was elec and not passenger. The other thing we only noticed when we got back in our car (2013 Honda Civic) was our seats where much more supportive. The other thing that worried us was it only has a range of about 160 miles at best!

Hi
Right at the end of the year im going to be wanting a new 2nd hand car ideally a hybrid , dont want to go all electric to many horror stories at moment of charging points etc etc .

I currently drive a renault megane estate 1.5 diesel 2011 , but i keep my water in a picnic hamper ( plastic ) so keeps it warm in winter . But i do get a bit of spillage , sometimes slops out of hamper and sometimes a bit of spillage from hamper to jug to holster . Now with a new car i want to keep it decent as it will be for pleasure and business . Im also going bungalows only ......no more ladders on top of the car and accessing my private pension allowing me to do this via income drawdown .So as soon as i take the pension the houses and the ladders are gone . At moment i have a plastic liner in car which just slighlty goes up the sides of the car ......anyone use anything different ? .

I also do a bit of fishing so long rod holdalls etc etc need back seat down .

I have thought about having a trailer and working out of that to keep the water away from the main car and this is a possible but does anyone have any good ideas on a hybrid car that would be suitable .....petrol hybrid no dirty diesels now lol . Looking at good fuel economy as well , at moment i get 42mpg around town on a very old diesel .
@fast_muchly I saw a video of a guy in the US who uses a picnic/cool box to keep his water warmer in winter which I thought was a great idea. I do a mix of wfp and traditional and I swear by the buckets I use. They are called Bluewater Window Cleaning buckets and you can buy a high quality clip on lid which has a foam rubber gasket seal. I've driven round a corner and the bucket tipped over and it still didn't spill. I've found in winter I take two or three smaller containers of hot water and wrap them in a large towel to keep the warmth in - then change the water a couple of times during the day to keep it fresh and warm.

I can't afford a van but I have a Citroen Berlingo car, which for the amount of equipment I carry is fine. I only ever take about 60 or 70 litres of pure water with me but it will fit that plus my pole, backpack, trolley and my traditional equipment absolutely fine. It would also be absolutely fine to have your fishing equipment in and I have never needed to use a roof rack either if that helps.

Back