Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting up working from car with wfp

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nowt wrong with working from a car I did so in my early days of wfp for around 3-4 years 
Bet it wasn't a Fiat Punto

200.gif

At the end of the day if you park the motor round the corner in another road and carry your gear on a trolley, nobody is going to know what you use / drive anyway. Admittedly it's gonna be a bit cramped but if that's what he has available to him then good luck - make the most of what you've got as they say. At least it'll be cheap to fuel. I'm driving a 1.8 automatic - thirsty as hell and it's petrol too!

punto would be fine.

my van van was off the road for a bit over Xmas. 

ended up using a vw up we have sitting around. 

2 barrels in the boot (yup it has a boot)

2 more on the back seat 

back pack in the passenger foot well.

slx 27 squeezed in for good measure.

around 120 litres in total enough for 7 - 8 houses (at my pace)

Now I would not recommend using a vw up on a permanent basis BUT just shows that even with a small vehicle you can do WFP to an extent. 

Having 25 litre full containers on the back seat would not be pretty in an accident so you have to drive like you expect everyone is gonna crash into you lol

little thing was a little sluggish fully loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once when my Estate was out of action for a few days I had to borrow a friend's Suzuki Ignis LOL.  Managed though and got some work done ?  I'd love to try a smart car....how small can you go....

Thanks for the support @dasslr1 @Tango @Bart90 @Iron Giant much appreciated 
You're welcome.  Just work with the resources you've got and work your way up from there as you get more business.  I was the most inefficient window cleaner when I started out with a rubbish car, basic equipment and loads of annoying customers but the desire to work hard was there and here I am 10 years on with a completely different business. Don't try and get everything spot on at once otherwise the mind stresses too much.  I've done way too much over thinking in my time.  Hope it works out for you!

I am not claiming that working from a Fiat Punto is not possible and clearly I have got your back up with a bit of banter;

Thanks for the support @dasslr1 @Tango @Bart90 @Iron Giant much appreciated 

But if i'm 100% honest i'm personally a little offended how you view the trade in which I have chosen to make my living. At the beginning of this thread you were asking if tap water could be used instead of pure. I pointed you in the direction of buying pure so thank other people and dislike my comments I really don't care pal. The fact is you have done no research at all about this and are asking people to spoon feed you all of the answers on how to start out. You haven't even taken the time to see how pure water works. If you give it that little respect to this how do you ever plan to make a ''business'' as you put it.

Banter aside I would hate to see the wear and tear on a small vehicle with regular use for window cleaning. As @Craigmac says it works but isnt something to do long term. Best of luck!

You're welcome.  Just work with the resources you've got and work your way up from there as you get more business.  I was the most inefficient window cleaner when I started out with a rubbish car, basic equipment and loads of annoying customers but the desire to work hard was there and here I am 10 years on with a completely different business. Don't try and get everything spot on at once otherwise the mind stresses too much.  I've done way too much over thinking in my time.  Hope it works out for you!
Cheers mate, good advise, it might be difficult at first but with more experience and hard work I will then be able to upgrade and have a more professional business, everyone has to start somewhere.

I am not claiming that working from a Fiat Punto is not possible and clearly I have got your back up with a bit of banter;

But if i'm 100% honest i'm personally a little offended how you view the trade in which I have chosen to make my living. At the beginning of this thread you were asking if tap water could be used instead of pure. I pointed you in the direction of buying pure so thank other people and dislike my comments I really don't care pal. The fact is you have done no research at all about this and are asking people to spoon feed you all of the answers on how to start out. You haven't even taken the time to see how pure water works. If you give it that little respect to this how do you ever plan to make a ''business'' as you put it.

Banter aside I would hate to see the wear and tear on a small vehicle with regular use for window cleaning. As @Craigmac says it works but isnt something to do long term. Best of luck!
Honestly not trying to put fuel on the fire but I'm sort of new too, when I came on here and started asking about WFP stuff, and even trad, I had a bit of an idea about what I was doing and talking about because I took time to research it. Tried to answer your questions @Hyzer373 but some of them are just ridiculous. Asking whether a pole will fit in your car without telling us what car or simply looking at how big a pole is collapsed takes the mick in my opinion. 

@P4dstar probably hates me now but i'm currently working out of a Grande Punto ??? It's not bad. I was tradding out of a C1, until I felt everything went against me and I went through 3 cars/vans in a few weeks (which I know I managed to tell everyone about ?). Truth is mate, if you do the research yourself and get out there and do it, you'll be better for it, and then remaining questions put on here - just my view anyway, you can obviously do what you want.

Honestly not trying to put fuel on the fire but I'm sort of new too, when I came on here and started asking about WFP stuff, and even trad, I had a bit of an idea about what I was doing and talking about because I took time to research it. Tried to answer your questions @Hyzer373 but some of them are just ridiculous. Asking whether a pole will fit in your car without telling us what car or simply looking at how big a pole is collapsed takes the mick in my opinion. 

@P4dstar probably hates me now but i'm currently working out of a Grande Punto ??? It's not bad. I was tradding out of a C1, until I felt everything went against me and I went through 3 cars/vans in a few weeks (which I know I managed to tell everyone about ?). Truth is mate, if you do the research yourself and get out there and do it, you'll be better for it, and then remaining questions put on here - just my view anyway, you can obviously do what you want.
It's not the working out of a Punto, its not wanting to start on a budget it is simply asking repetitive questions in different threads without spending 5 minutes just looking at how pure water works. Also in the short time this chap has been a member his budget has changed between £200, £300 and £500. I have the absolute upmost respect for someone starting with nothing and trying to start a business. I have actually tried to help on these posts despite the definite feeling of spoon feeding. Imagine someone turning up on an accountancy forum and saying I've bought a calculator can I charge £60 an hour now.

The comments above were genuine feedback in the form of banter as I don't like shooting down new people. Since then I've had emails telling me that @Hyzer373 has reacted to one of my posts but clearly removed it. I have no issue with you chap, it may seem harsh but I'm actually trying to help you. I can assure you there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and the bulk of the people with that knowledge won't respond if you aren't giving the subject it deserves.

Also if you think i've been blunt wait until you meet Darren or Adam ???

I have to admit, I only read page 3 of this thread. I started out in a peoguet 206. Used to have 2x Gardiner back packs, one on the passenger seat, one in the passenger footwell. Then 6x 25L containers laying all flat on the folded down seats. Read bucket down behind my seat, and a 22clx laying across the barrels. 

Oh and a set of very small fold up ladders. 

Gad that set up for 4/5 months. Then bought a Astra van. Not van mount, just something to carry more barrels & bought a gutter vac so needed space. Had that 9 months or so. Then got my caddy. 

But yes, me, my good mate who I also got into window cleaning both worked out of cars. He worked out of a fiat panda for 6 months crying out loud! Haha. 

Do it,  but set yourself a goal of 6 or 9 or 12 months down the line to get a little van. Even if it’s to just carry more containers & look smarter. Van mount is more enjoyable & cost effective in return once you get it. 

It's not the working out of a Punto, its not wanting to start on a budget it is simply asking repetitive questions in different threads without spending 5 minutes just looking at how pure water works. Also in the short time this chap has been a member his budget has changed between £200, £300 and £500. I have the absolute upmost respect for someone starting with nothing and trying to start a business. I have actually tried to help on these posts despite the definite feeling of spoon feeding. Imagine someone turning up on an accountancy forum and saying I've bought a calculator can I charge £60 an hour now.

The comments above were genuine feedback in the form of banter as I don't like shooting down new people. Since then I've had emails telling me that @Hyzer373 has reacted to one of my posts but clearly removed it. I have no issue with you chap, it may seem harsh but I'm actually trying to help you. I can assure you there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and the bulk of the people with that knowledge won't respond if you aren't giving the subject it deserves.

Also if you think i've been blunt wait until you meet Darren or Adam ???
I know mate haha - I do think some of the very basics on here aren't explained perfectly and maybe overcomplicated, but lets be honest, it's not difficult to read through the lines. 

If you search "how does water fed pole window cleaning work" on google right now the response is: 

"The secret of water fed pole (WFP) window cleaning is the water itself. Normal tap water contains many dissolved minerals. This water is fine to drink, but if it was used to clean windows, it would leave spots and smears. This is because the minerals will be left behind on the glass after the water evaporates."

That's the only reason it's annoyed me a bit - I'll leave this post alone now anyway, really don't want to upset this guy and hope he gets what he wants out of window cleaning! ☺️ 

I have to admit, I only read page 3 of this thread. I started out in a peoguet 206. Used to have 2x Gardiner back packs, one on the passenger seat, one in the passenger footwell. Then 6x 25L containers laying all flat on the folded down seats. Read bucket down behind my seat, and a 22clx laying across the barrels. 

Oh and a set of very small fold up ladders. 

Gad that set up for 4/5 months. Then bought a Astra van. Not van mount, just something to carry more barrels & bought a gutter vac so needed space. Had that 9 months or so. Then got my caddy. 

But yes, me, my good mate who I also got into window cleaning both worked out of cars. He worked out of a fiat panda for 6 months crying out loud! Haha. 

Do it,  but set yourself a goal of 6 or 9 or 12 months down the line to get a little van. Even if it’s to just carry more containers & look smarter. Van mount is more enjoyable & cost effective in return once you get it. 
When I had issues with my Vivaro I considered downsizing to an Astra van and using backpacks and barrels. Not long term but I figured a car derived van like an astra was much easier to fix. I'm glad I didn't in the end but If you can physically carry the water it seems a sensible option TBH. With regards to a small car i've seen the damage overloading one regularly can do with a Renault clio when I was in the building trade. Not advisable long term. Like you say if you have a plan for it to be short term you're laughing.

Once when my Estate was out of action for a few days I had to borrow a friend's Suzuki Ignis LOL.  Managed though and got some work done ?  I'd love to try a smart car....how small can you go....
Nowt wrong with a Suzuki Ignis we have had 2 over the years and that' what I started wfp in ? 

Bet it wasn't a Fiat Punto

200.gif
That could be me now I reckon I could fit in one of them only been 5ft ?

Alright lads I’m learning towards purchasing the clx 22 and gardiner backpack, when ordering there’s all these options of selecting gooseneck, brush, jets, hose and hose connecter type, also on backpack it says choose end connector .. I’m gonna be honest I ain’t got a clue what’s the best selections I need to make...

Alright lads I’m learning towards purchasing the clx 22 and gardiner backpack, when ordering there’s all these options of selecting gooseneck, brush, jets, hose and hose connecter type... I’m gonna be honest I ain’t got a clue what’s the best selections I need to make...
Get a swivel adjustable gooseneck. You’ll be able to do tight corners from a different angle. And adjust the verticals angle for hard to reach things 

Latest Posts

Back