Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fitting a tank tap

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Smurf that is exactly the video that I watched and it's exactly what I need. Effortless and no messing around with high tech kit just a good old tap to get the water out.

I copied him in on a thread but got no reply.

Smurf that is exactly the video that I watched and it's exactly what I need. Effortless and no messing around with high tech kit just a good old tap to get the water out.
I copied him in on a thread but got no reply.
That's also were I got the idea but it's the hole I have the issue with

Mess it up and it's a new tank

Keep,us posted mate I don't have fookbook I mean facebook

It seems to take ages to fill backpack/containers using a half inch hose. That is why I mentioned the bilge pump idea as I'm sure that chap had the same problem with a tank leaking before. Also would be much quicker and no risk of ******* yer tank up with trying to drill another hole in it surely?

That would work and simple

It seems to take ages to fill a backpack/containers using a half inch hose that why I meantioned the bilge pump idea. Would be much quicker and no risk of ******* yer tank up with trying to drill another hole in it.
are they complicated to fit I hate electrics?it will have to have its own switch I guess

It's just two wires so not complicated at all and fit a switch.

I'm sure that chap also uses a junction box to spur of the power to different bits of kit he uses too.

Do you now where his old post is @Bingo as I'm sure he went into detail on fitting one through the tank lid including parts he got for it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheers spruce the bulkhead fitting has a fitting that needs to be fitted from in the tank that's the problem I carnt reach lol

As has been said you have to be inventive. Obviously the tap needs to be below the tank filler cap for access. If the van has little roof clearance, then you are better taking the tank out of the van.

If the connector just fits through the hole then you could glue it to a length of wood. Once the connector (don't forget the washer) is firmly secured, then break the wood off.

I think I once used a length of aluminum trim that was once fitted to the redundant plyling on the van's floor that was replaced with protectakote when I did something else.

My son prefers to use a backpack. We now have a tap on the van like you want. I just tee'd it off the hose on the tank's outlet. That pipe goes to the van port so he can fill a container from there. He fills a seperate 25l plastic container slowly while he is working with his full backpack. Then he pours the full container into the empty backpack and starts again.

Previously when he didn't have this gravity filler he used his wfp pump to do the same thing. He turned the controller down to a trickle (1 or 2 on his Varistream) and used that to fill his 25 litre container.

When he works with me off my van, he does this if he isn't using his hose reel.

But like all things gravity fed, they work well when the tank is full, but as the tank level lowers, (the water head drops), so the water flow from the tank also slows.

Last edited by a moderator:
with the hosepipe coming from your normal fitted tap, going to your pump, cut your hosepipe near tap ,add two male hose connectors, add a hoselock on/off tap to them, or just get a hoselock tap and jubilee clip it into the hose near tap. when you need to fill backpack just open the flow. then shut off.

You could do that as is an easier option but like I’ve mentioned before I’ve found using a 1/2 inch pipe gravity feed takes ages to fill a container or backpack compared to a larger diameter hose and/or bilge pump setup.

with the hosepipe coming from your normal fitted tap, going to your pump, cut your hosepipe near tap ,add two male hose connectors, add a hoselock on/off tap to them, or just get a hoselock tap and jubilee clip it into the hose near tap. when you need to fill backpack just open the flow. then shut off.

id go with the bilge pump, cheap enough to buy from £9 on ebay, could then mess about with it to get it as you want it. on /off switch , some one may show you how they have one fitted, makes life easier.

The way I look at it the less holes in the tank & connections you have the less likely you will get leaks

get a bilge pump as said, old van battery, convertor or crocodile clips, connect upto battery andadd some 1inch hose to pump, drop in tank and fill up that way

Back