Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flocked brushes preference

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Scrubsy

Just wondered if anyone else (that uses cold water) prefers flocked brushes as much as I do?

Tried a few brush types and bristles - medium / mixed / DuPont etc are all good, but still come back to flocked more often than not.

Just wondered if anyone else (that uses cold water) prefers flocked brushes as much as I do?

Tried a few brush types and bristles - medium / mixed / DuPont etc are all good, but still come back to flocked more often than not.
I started with a 45cm flocked on a CLX27. Loved it but once I started doing 8 hours a day on a regular basis it stopped being my go to brush, and pole.

I started with a 45cm flocked on a CLX27. Loved it but once I started doing 8 hours a day on a regular basis it stopped being my go to brush, and pole.
@Part Timer you must have arms like Popeye if you could use that combination. I've tried a 35cm brush but found it a bit tricky. 45cm would be way to big for me lol. Do you have a favourite brush now? I use an SLX and I like the flocked xtreme sill and ultimate best.

@Part Timer you must have arms like Popeye if you could use that combination. I've tried a 35cm brush but found it a bit tricky. 45cm would be way to big for me lol. Do you have a favourite brush now? I use an SLX and I like the flocked xtreme sill and ultimate best.
I'm a naturally big bloke so not so heavy for me as mostnand a swivel makes it workable. I now use an Xtreme pole with a 35cm Xtreme Tapertec Sill Brush. My work nowadays is nearly all 3 and 4 floors, though.

I thought the warm water might make the bristles a bit soft but that's good you can use them like that 👍
To be honest mate even my heater on full blast windows steaming it melts on it lovely the ultimate flocked that is and they last it’s my favourite brush but I’m currently using the extreme stiff sill brush as it’s liter but not as hard wearing as the ultimate 😀

I'm a naturally big bloke so not so heavy for me as mostnand a swivel makes it workable. I now use an Xtreme pole with a 35cm Xtreme Tapertec Sill Brush. My work nowadays is nearly all 3 and 4 floors, though.
If you like the heavier poles my mate does too try the xline nano with phantom clamps it’s very stiff nice pole £600 ish I prefer extreme poles but it takes some abuse

If you like the heavier poles my mate does too try the xline nano with phantom clamps it’s very stiff nice pole £600 ish I prefer extreme poles but it takes some abuse
I like the lightest set up you can get. I loved the CLX27 as it was indestructible and you don't get black hands. I also think all newbies should start with one as it teaches you how to control bendy poles, also builds your muscle mass quicker, and when you get to do higher jobs even the good poles bend.

To be honest mate even my heater on full blast windows steaming it melts on it lovely the ultimate flocked that is and they last it’s my favourite brush but I’m currently using the extreme stiff sill brush as it’s liter but not as hard wearing as the ultimate 😀
I've tried a few of the Ultimate range and they are ok - but the flocked one is brilliant. Easily the best in the 26cm range. I think it's the flocked bristles and single trim combination. Amazing on leaded windows and first cleans. I like the look of the 35cm single trim Dupont aswell.

I like the lightest set up you can get. I loved the CLX27 as it was indestructible and you don't get black hands. I also think all newbies should start with one as it teaches you how to control bendy poles, also builds your muscle mass quicker, and when you get to do higher jobs even the good poles bend.
I used a CLX 18 for ages (still got it) and absolutely agree it's indestructible. I quite like the flex of it on some jobs as I think you don't have to put much pressure on the pole for the brush to splay out. As you said definitely helps learn a bit of control👌.

I wish Gardiner would bring back their 35cm flocked Xtreme. My favourite brush is one of their flocked Xtreme sill brushes I've trimmed down to a regular brush.
Oh wow I didn't know they had done one of these. Would definitely get one if they brought it back.

Oh wow I didn't know they had done one of these. Would definitely get one if they brought it back.
I stand to be corrected (Alex?) but I'm sure they did have one on the market for a short while, though it may have been only the 26cm version. I like the DuPont/Tapertec mix as well on the Xtreme brushes, but for me the flocked brush beats it hands down on snail trails and with all the rain we've had of late I'm battling this daily.

I stand to be corrected (Alex?) but I'm sure they did have one on the market for a short while, though it may have been only the 26cm version. I like the DuPont/Tapertec mix as well on the Xtreme brushes, but for me the flocked brush beats it hands down on snail trails and with all the rain we've had of late I'm battling this daily.
I have a feeling I saw on quite an old video on youtube and the guy had a flocked xtreme brush. Rectangular version rather than the sill one. I don't remember seeing them on the gardiner website, but the video may be from a bit before I started up. Would definitely be interested if they made one again. A few residential jobs this week have had no sills at all, so it would have had some good use.

Ive used gardiner medium soft sill brush for ages now. But im seeing that it doesnt get rid of baked on fly or spider crud/have to really add some elbow grease and can be knackering on a long day and keep having to seperately scrub it off with spare hand. Im reckoning the stiff sill brush will be better? but would I lose out in other ways with it? Like with these certain more fragile old wooden pain windows ( I have some where the old putty comes out but they dont seem interested in repairing their windows) I guess at the end of the day it doesnt take long to change the brush head for certain jobs.

Ive used gardiner medium soft sill brush for ages now. But im seeing that it doesnt get rid of baked on fly or spider crud/have to really add some elbow grease and can be knackering on a long day and keep having to seperately scrub it off with spare hand. Im reckoning the stiff sill brush will be better? but would I lose out in other ways with it? Like with these certain more fragile old wooden pain windows ( I have some where the old putty comes out but they dont seem interested in repairing their windows) I guess at the end of the day it doesnt take long to change the brush head for certain jobs.
@ks789 I use that one occasionally and to be honest I'm not overall impressed with it. I like the sill action but I also think it's not very good at all on baked on dirt. Exactly the same as you, it's either extra and firmer scrubbing, or by hand if it's a downstairs window. I've used a full dupont super lite the last few days (although obviously it's not a sill brush) and the Dupont bristles are better. I've never tried the stiff bristled version. I think some of the lads on the Facebook groups mentioned it was better, but I don't know if they use hot or cold water. On single pane windows or very old ones the only success I've had is using a flocked ultimate.

Yes, but the 35cm version. The one I'm currently using is the model before this one that doesn't have the stiffer bristles on the ends.

I took a multitool with a half circle cutting blade and cut off the bottom two rows of bristles along with the part of the stock that they are embedded in. I also cut off the blocky bits on the end that hold the bumpers as they served no useful purpose for me and just got in the way. I ended up with a nice light Xtreme flocked 35cm brush.

It's a shame that to get the brush that works best for me I have to spend more to get a brush with extra bristles that I have to cut off. Sill brushes are not everyone's favourite.
If you're going to try it plan carefully or you may end up destroying a £50+ brush.

We have a number of various brushes on the van. I prefer a soft bristle brush, but I have a flocked, stiff, old still and old extreme stuff brush to get behind gutters when doing fascia cleans, which I change as needed.

We also have a spare slx22 with a flocked brush for the few houses we have with old leaders windows.

I haven't found a single brush that does everything. But that's my personal experience and others may disagree.

Stiff brush, not stuff brush :ROFLMAO:
We have a number of various brushes on the van. I prefer a soft bristle brush, but I have a flocked, stiff, old still and old extreme stuff brush to get behind gutters when doing fascia cleans, which I change as needed.

We also have a spare slx22 with a flocked brush for the few houses we have with old leaders windows.

I haven't found a single brush that does everything. But that's my personal experience and others may disagree.

Back