Gardiner Base Section...

Discussion in 'Water Fed Pole Cleaning' started by windyman, Jul 24, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

After reading the article about a guy who blew his hands off hitting overhead cables with a wfp...I got to wondering...

Is the base section of the SLX carbon? Or is it FG?

I've heard that base sections in most poles are FG to avoid the above from happening?

Advertisement
  2. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

FG is ment to be non conductive, but i just try to avoid testing that out myself! lol
    but then when they are wet with water it kind of defeats the object really as water is conductive!

3. harunh

harunh Legend

Windyman why dont you test it ? ;) LOL

4. Martyn

Martyn Active Member

Base sections are carbon with some isolation, but you wouldn't be so stupid as to put it near an overhead cable would you? I am very interested in how that court case is going to play out as arguments can clearly be made in both directions.

Pure water should not conduct electricity, it's the impurities in water that provide the conductivity.

5. windyman

windyman Well-Known Member

Not stupid no, but you can't avoid accidents.

6. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

that case ruled that it was the blokes own fault because he didnt do check and do risk assesment, so he has nothing now!

ur right PURE water dose, but a lot of guys water isnt pure some use it upto 015ppm! where as me mine never goes past 002ppm

7. Martyn

Martyn Active Member

"You can't avoid accidents" the thing is that most accidents can be avoided, and this is the reason for doing risk assessments, I was afraid that it might go against him even though that seems to be very unfair, lawyers and legal systems don't generally do fair.

Don't get me started on the zero tds thing! :D I'm a founder member of the zero tds society. When you look at the big picture resin is cheap!

8. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

lol take it ur into the big zero then! resin is cheap for me! only use 1 x 25lt bag last year!!!!

9. Alex Gardiner

Alex Gardiner Forum Addict
    Supplier

To clarify the base section of the SLX poles are carbon with an outer insulative layer which can easily protect the user from 440v. We have had two cases of clients hitting overhead canles with an SLX pole. In both cases the top of the pole exploded and the client felt nothing holding the base. If the outside of the pole had been wet (maybe if it was raining) it may have been a different case though.

10. rcproperty

rcproperty Hero

guess they didnt do risk assesments either then! lol glad they are ok!

Advertisement