Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner xtreme pole

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Been there Dave.

Carbon for me but the xero is just for my son to use the odd day and a backup if I break something. 

Couldn't use it daily for work.

Would you say the Extreme is a Lot lighter and stiffer than your SLX? 
Stiffer yes, lighter yes, I wouldn't say a lot to either and I personally wouldn't buy an Extreme below 30+' Then again I'm built like the proverbial ?house so a few grammes here and there aren't going to make that much difference to me. What I would say, in y opinion, is the additional cost of the Extreme, and it's fragility, is hard to justify if you're not currently struggling.

Stiffer yes, lighter yes, I wouldn't say a lot to either and I personally wouldn't buy an Extreme below 30+' Then again I'm built like the proverbial ?house so a few grammes here and there aren't going to make that much difference to me. What I would say, in y opinion, is the additional cost of the Extreme, and it's fragility, is hard to justify if you're not currently struggling.
Ok sure thanks a lot for the advice. Also, is it mega fragile? I plan to use the extreme for gutters,they don’t need a huge amount of pressure but definitely a bit more than windows

I’ve got an extreme 18, and a supermax 27. The extreme 18 is very light and pretty ridged.
But it’s true what people are saying, the cost does go against how fragile it can be.
Ideally a worker should never be using an expensive tool that they’re worrying about breaking easily.

But, all can say is I’ve had my extreme 18 for 25 months now, barely maintain it, and shut dozens of windows with it and it hasn’t broke at all. If you’ve got the money and want light as possible go for the extreme, you won’t regret it, if weight isn’t an issue and you’re not sure on spending lots, then go for the slx, you also won’t regret it. 

Ok sure thanks a lot for the advice. Also, is it mega fragile? I plan to use the extreme for gutters,they don’t need a huge amount of pressure but definitely a bit more than windows
If you let the tools (Pole + Brush) do the work and don't force them to do what they are not intended to do they will be fine. The Xtremes are not 'eggshell' fragile. They a are relatively fragile compared to the CL and SL-Xs

The problem I think for many including me is that we first a CL-X and or an SL-X which are both quite tough poles and will handle closing most windows. Then we moved to an Xtreme which cannot be used in the same way due to it's light construction. For cleaning windows yes. For shutting windows no!

Old habits die hard and we forget the need to change our method of working to account for the lighter makeup of the Xtreme pole.

To shut a window with an Xtreme, you should only push longitudinally (up) not laterally (across). If you can't shut a window pushing up toward the window, clean it in situ by adjusting the angle of the gooseneck.

I’ve got an extreme 18, and a supermax 27. The extreme 18 is very light and pretty ridged.
But it’s true what people are saying, the cost does go against how fragile it can be.
Ideally a worker should never be using an expensive tool that they’re worrying about breaking easily.

But, all can say is I’ve had my extreme 18 for 25 months now, barely maintain it, and shut dozens of windows with it and it hasn’t broke at all. If you’ve got the money and want light as possible go for the extreme, you won’t regret it, if weight isn’t an issue and you’re not sure on spending lots, then go for the slx, you also won’t regret it. 
As regards maintenance, I find myself cleaning and re-taping mine once a week in winter wet conditions due to the amount of grit getting pulled up the pole. In summer dry conditions I hardly need to do anything to it except an external wipe down.

Cleaning involves disassembly of the pole, then using a long dowel to push a small microfibre down the inside of each section (except the top section) a couple of times before re-taping and reassembly. I haven't used dry PTFE spray in quite a while as I don't find I need to

If you let the tools (Pole + Brush) do the work and don't force them to do what they are not intended to do they will be fine. The Xtremes are not 'eggshell' fragile. They a are relatively fragile compared to the CL and SL-Xs

The problem I think for many including me is that we first a CL-X and or an SL-X which are both quite tough poles and will handle closing most windows. Then we moved to an Xtreme which cannot be used in the same way due to it's light construction. For cleaning windows yes. For shutting windows no!

Old habits die hard and we forget the need to change our method of working to account for the lighter makeup of the Xtreme pole.

To shut a window with an Xtreme, you should only push longitudinally (up) not laterally (across). If you can't shut a window pushing up toward the window, clean it in situ by adjusting the angle of the gooseneck.
If you need to shut a window with an extreme extend the bottom couple of sections and flip the pole upside down .. use the endcap to push the window.

A whole lot stronger and won't break.

If you need to shut a window with an extreme extend the bottom couple of sections and flip the pole upside down .. use the endcap to push the window.

A whole lot stronger and won't break.
Not tried that. I suppose another alternative could be to extend the bottom sections instead of the top if not using the whole length of the pole. More often than not I'm only using nos.1,2 and half of 3 occasionally anyway

I've only ever broken Xtreme sections - they have much less tolerance for any 'abuse'/accidents, rolling off a table, wind catching whilst 'resting' against ledge, lowering it and catching it on the top an open door etc...crrruunccch!

You'd think in theory it shouldn't be that more £ as its' got less carbon material in it as it thinner/lighter and by now compared to when they launched it the number of carbon poles made in China has grown exponentially - no doubt efficiencies/scale in the manufacturing/shipping... be nice if some of that was reflected in lowered prices - to make it more accessible as it is the best pole I've used to prevent strain/injury. 

What's do you guys reckon the nearest to it is - for weight/stability/cost? 

Last edited by a moderator:
What lacquer did you use
I use this make sure you get the matt/satin one it is pricey now I have paid less than £8 in the past, but like everything these days the price has gone up, it's the only stuff I have used that I found not to chip and flake off over time definitely the only stuff I would use. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastikote-Twist-Spray-Paint-400ML-Matt-Satin-Gloss-Primer-Sealer/323761853096?var=512753633742&hash=item4b61b5d2a8:g:kh4AAOSw~-ZcozSN

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use this make sure you get the matt/satin one it is pricey now I have paid less than £8 in the past, but like everything these days the price has gone up, it's the only stuff I have used that I found not to chip and flake off over time definitely the only stuff I would use. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastikote-Twist-Spray-Paint-400ML-Matt-Satin-Gloss-Primer-Sealer/323761853096?var=512753633742&hash=item4b61b5d2a8:g:kh4AAOSw~-ZcozSN
Thanks for that link. I was concerned about flaking as I’ve used 2 part gorilla epoxy in the past at the top and bottom of section no.1 and have had it flake off.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Chris, I personally wouldn't bother with the xtreme pole. I've owned them since the series one came out(which in my opinion was the best quality carbon of all the series). The series one wore down like any other pole but the following series snapped sections on me. I'm now just using slx 25 for all work. The slx is marginally heavier and slightly less rigid but not noticeable after a day. Originally gardiner advertised the xtreme as the ultimate pole for all users but then changed it to people who needed a lighter pole due to health issues. Think they realised it wasn't as substantial as the slx and had to try and justify the price. I don't even rate my slx as highly as the original ones either. They seem to wear at a faster rate which my local friends(windows cleaners) agree with. 

I still have a brand new 35ft extension kit for my 25ft extreme pole sitting in my garage but I still will not be ever buying another one. 

Hope this helps

Hi Chris, I personally wouldn't bother with the xtreme pole. I've owned them since the series one came out(which in my opinion was the best quality carbon of all the series). The series one wore down like any other pole but the following series snapped sections on me. I'm now just using slx 25 for all work. The slx is marginally heavier and slightly less rigid but not noticeable after a day. Originally gardiner advertised the xtreme as the ultimate pole for all users but then changed it to people who needed a lighter pole due to health issues. Think they realised it wasn't as substantial as the slx and had to try and justify the price. I don't even rate my slx as highly as the original ones either. They seem to wear at a faster rate which my local friends(windows cleaners) agree with. 

I still have a brand new 35ft extension kit for my 25ft extreme pole sitting in my garage but I still will not be ever buying another one. 

Hope this helps
Yeah that helps a lot thank you. I’m really careful with my SLX (saying that I dropped it twice yesterday and stood on it ? thinking at the time well that’d break if it was the xtreme) but as I do a lot of gutters and I want a 18ft pole now I really fancied having that lighter, stiffer pole. The slx18 would probably be perfect too, but as it is that bit stiffer it’s very tempting! 

But it’s great to hear your advice thank you. I’ve gotta see one I think to really know what it’s like but I like so far from gardiners 

Super - it's worth noting that the current Xtreme Gardiners sell is the third iteration - it's supposed to have moved on a bit from v1 & v2 which they advertise as being...

"The most rigid compact pole type in our range
Lightness & Rigidity - 15% more rigid and 20% stronger than previous Series-II Xtreme poles"

(saying that I dropped it twice yesterday and stood on it ? thinking at the time well that’d break if it was the xtreme)
Sounds like SLX would be best for you - an Xtreme would likely not shrug off a 'stood on' incident and a bit iffy on the dropping tbh? 

Hi All,

I am still looking at getting another pole. Really thinking of the Gardiner xtreme. Is there anyone in Surrey near Woking that has one at all?? And would let me see it to get an idea if it’s worth the money?

Thanks, Chris 
I was in the same position and plumped for the slx 22 lot less than the xtreme, slightly heavier but not much and the amount of posts/people I have heard that have snapped a section, it was a no brainer in the end

Back