Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

gardners

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Maybe when your starting off you need to speak to someone but when you have been doing it as long as nearly everyone on here there's not that much we dont know.

Do you mind me asking what time your shifts start/finish @spruce ? I've seen lots of out of hours commercial work but the size of some blocks of flats etc some must be done at irregular hours I suppose. I like the grey 100⁰ fan jets but they are definitely noisier on the windows. Almost like a sort of fizzing sound (bit difficult to describe).
Many nurses work 12 hour night shifts so sleep during the day. We have James Cook university hospital which seems to never sleep.
We clean a couple of policeman's houses. That will be a country wide situation. We also have the chemical workers who are employed in what was once ICI on Teesside and their related petrochemical service industries. We still have a small section of British Steel which work 24/7.
It just seems the new style working pattern is 3 x 12 hours rather than the old 5 x 8 hour shifts.

We are aware of which customers work shifts and try to be as quiet as possible when cleaning their windows. We also try to clean these customers in the afternoon where possible without dieviating too far off our route.

We have noticed that if we turn the flow rate down when cleaning these customers, the fan keeps aren't as noisy. But I feel more comfortable swapping the brush head for one with pencil jets as they don't make a noise at all.

Btw, the older red push in fan jets are not as noisy. It just the new cartridge ones which are.

Last edited:
@spruce do you here much of Scott dunning think he used to work in Teesside not shore if he still in the cleaning business
Not heard of him tbh. We tend to work in the east of Teesside on the Whitby side. We occasionally bump into windies in Middlesbrough (Eston) as we do a little bit of work there.

The only window cleaning business we were aware of was Teesside Window Cleaning. We attended an NVQ course in window cleaning many years ago, and Huran Hussain, the owner of the business, was also an attendee. It looks like his business has completely wrapped up due to the unfortunate death of one of his employees at the beginning of last year. He posted on here under a few different names.

His Facebook page says; temporarily closed.

Many nurses work 12 hour night shifts so sleep during the day. We have James Cook university hospital which seems to never sleep.
We clean a couple of policeman's houses. That will be a country wide situation. We also have the chemical workers who are employed in what was once ICI on Teesside and their related petrochemical service industries. We still have a small section of British Steel which work 24/7.
It just seems the new style working pattern is 3 x 12 hours rather than the old 5 x 8 hour shifts.

We are aware of which customers work shifts and try to be as quiet as possible when cleaning their windows. We also try to clean these customers in the afternoon where possible without dieviating too far off our route.

We have noticed that if we turn the flow rate down when cleaning these customers, the fan keeps aren't as noisy. But I feel more comfortable swapping the brush head for one with pencil jets as they don't make a noise at all.

Btw, the older red push in fan jets are not as noisy. It just the new cartridge ones which are.
@spruce of course, I understand. That's a lot of work with hospitals etc. I think the same, the old jets weren't as noisy as the newer ones. But then again the new ones are so easy to swap about so that's quite cool. I'm the same I would definitely not use fans if I thought a shift worker was in bed or similar πŸ‘

I like pencil and fans I often swap between them, I do find that on some brick houses where the bricks/pointing shed sand like particles can cause the fan jets to block which is a pain, plus I prefer pencil when cleaning leaded windows.

@spruce of course, I understand. That's a lot of work with hospitals etc. I think the same, the old jets weren't as noisy as the newer ones. But then again the new ones are so easy to swap about so that's quite cool. I'm the same I would definitely not use fans if I thought a shift worker was in bed or similar πŸ‘
I shouldn't say this out loud, but I quite like the look of DA component's V jets with 4 holes and the V jets with 2 holes.

The diameter is the same as the new Gardiner cartridge jets are, but I don't know about the length. I might pop into the shop at some time in Yarm and have a look.

i tryed the fans today and im defently not keen on the 100 degree ones the reds are far better rince wise for me they were so noisy though kinda buged me to be honist i do find pencle jets more versatile , the goose neck valve is very nice takes a bit of getting used to but im going to stick with it for a month or to before i ditch the univalve , im also realy inpressed with the new extreme stiff its a lot nicer on the glass compaired to the old type witch feels to stiff even with piping hot water , the flocked extreme is also realy nice and i like the mono bristles at the ends nice touch that im going to put the 100 degree fans in a old brush stock and use it for rincing gutters see if i can utilise them

I shouldn't say this out loud, but I quite like the look of DA component's V jets with 4 holes and the V jets with 2 holes.

The diameter is the same as the new Gardiner cartridge jets are, but I don't know about the length. I might pop into the shop at some time in Yarm and have a look.
@spruce absolutely. Looks like Darren has done a great job with the design of the brush and jets. I heard he was rammed busy at the cleaning expo so very pleased for him.

i tryed the fans today and im defently not keen on the 100 degree ones the reds are far better rince wise for me they were so noisy though kinda buged me to be honist i do find pencle jets more versatile , the goose neck valve is very nice takes a bit of getting used to but im going to stick with it for a month or to before i ditch the univalve , im also realy inpressed with the new extreme stiff its a lot nicer on the glass compaired to the old type witch feels to stiff even with piping hot water , the flocked extreme is also realy nice and i like the mono bristles at the ends nice touch that im going to put the 100 degree fans in a old brush stock and use it for rincing gutters see if i can utilise them
@tench0771 I have a bit of a love/loathe relationship with the grey fan jets. They are fantastic on some windows and not on others. Sounds a good idea to use them on gutters though πŸ‘.

Why you ditching the univalve? It’s one of the best things since sliced breadπŸ˜‚. What hose are you using as that may be a problem especially if your using hot water. If your hose is super stretchy then I can see why it may be a pita. It does take a bit of gettin used to but when you do it’s a game changer.

i tryed the 100 degree today rincing off gutters they were not grate so quickly poped the red 50 degree ones on and they were much better ill chuck the 100 degree ones in the glovy for another year lmfao

Back