Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner Pole Clamp Tip

• Thread starter Deleted member 5762
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 5762

Probably preaching to the choir a bit of the experienced cleaners on here, but I got a little tip off a video that showed how to make a sort of "shock absorber" for Gardiner pole clamps. I bought a set of metric rubber o-rings on eBay - you get loads in the box, and I have put one between each clamp on the pole (just choose one tight enough to be able to push/role it up the pole section and they stay in place). I try to be very careful with my equipment, but on the odd occasion the pole section comes down a bit quick, or it slips down etc these o-rings stop the clamps from banging together. If this helps anyone at all then that's good.

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_131944730.jpg
    IMG_20231117_131944730.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20231117_132008622.jpg
    IMG_20231117_132008622.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20231117_132116260.jpg
    IMG_20231117_132116260.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 18
Tbh I’ve never had an issue with gardiners clamps in 10+ years of using them. Maybe I’ve just been lucky or others are extremely heavy handed in collapsing their poles. Alls Ive ever noticed is the pole itself wearing thin just below the clamp and when that starts happen which is usually only on the top section or rarely section 2 is to bang a bit of tape around it so that you can’t collapse the pole fully. 10/10 for innovation but completely unneeded imo.

Or use the phantom clamps and have no issues and long lasting clamps
@Dave B fair enough. I can't be bothered to saw off all the clamps and replace them. The phantom clamps are over £15 each. I have two 18 foot poles and 2 extensions so that would be £150 worth of phantom clamps. This box of o-rings was about £8 including delivery.

Tbh I’ve never had an issue with gardiners clamps in 10+ years of using them. Maybe I’ve just been lucky or others are extremely heavy handed in collapsing their poles. Alls Ive ever noticed is the pole itself wearing thin just below the clamp and when that starts happen which is usually only on the top section or rarely section 2 is to bang a bit of tape around it so that you can’t collapse the pole fully. 10/10 for innovation but completely unneeded imo.
@Cleanco I have no issue with the clamps and one hasn't come loose yet, it's just me being extra careful. Wasn't expensive to do it so for me it was worth it.

Or, if like me you can’t be ar5ed to disassemble the pole, self amalgamating tape on it then roll it to form a barrier.
I happily admit to nicking this idea from someone else (can’t remember who) ?

Probably preaching to the choir a bit of the experienced cleaners on here, but I got a little tip off a video that showed how to make a sort of "shock absorber" for Gardiner pole clamps. I bought a set of metric rubber o-rings on eBay - you get loads in the box, and I have put one between each clamp on the pole (just choose one tight enough to be able to push/role it up the pole section and they stay in place). I try to be very careful with my equipment, but on the odd occasion the pole section comes down a bit quick, or it slips down etc these o-rings stop the clamps from banging together. If this helps anyone at all then that's good.
419 O rings, maybe try and sell them for something else ?

Funny you guys mention it, just this week my clamp has started spinning on section 2 of my slx. Tried cleaning it up then applying some loctite. Haven`t got my hopes up though.
Remove the clamp , sand the inside of it with a course sandpaper , sand the end of the pole with a fine sandpaper, clean with methylated spirits when it’s all evaporated and dry mix a 2 pack epoxy glue apply to the end of the pole put on clamp with a twisting motion , wipe any excess glue off the pole leave to dry overnight, it will never come off again ?

Remove the clamp , sand the inside of it with a course sandpaper , sand the end of the pole with a fine sandpaper, clean with methylated spirits when it’s all evaporated and dry mix a 2 pack epoxy glue apply to the end of the pole put on clamp with a twisting motion , wipe any excess glue off the pole leave to dry overnight, it will never come off again ?
That's far too much faff, I have only ever had two clamps come loose within the last 10 years of using Gardiner poles I just used the cheapest superglue I could get my hands on and the clamps never budged after that.

I don't usually let my pole sections smack together when lowering them, but occasionally I don't catch them in time and they they do so I've used the 'o' ring suggestion for a few years and never had a clamp come loose. Got mine from Lidl or Aldi, cant remember which.

Taking the poles apart to fit them hasn't been a problem for me as I strip my poles down and clean them fairly regularly anyway this time of year (at least once a week) due to the amount of grit we pick up round where we work when the ground is wet.

If you do use 'o' rings be prepared to replace the them from time to time as they do stretch and lose their grip fairly quickly and slide down the sections when they're open.

Let us know how you get on. Picys of the process would be nice :)
This is how I got on Oct 2020. Still going strong and added life to my SLX-27 from 2017 ? you can see how much clamp 2 section had worn by how much the lever was sticking out.

I've since added Gardiner shims, levers, springs and bolts to the phantom clamp body (with TPU insert) to make the operation smoother.

You may need to file down the edges of clamp body so they close properly. Trial and error will show you how much plastic to shave off to close up the gap properly ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118-144359.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118-144359.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231118-144239.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118-144239.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231118-144245.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118-144245.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231118-144328.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118-144328.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 15
I don't usually let my pole sections smack together when lowering them, but occasionally I don't catch them in time and they they do so I've used the 'o' ring suggestion for a few years and never had a clamp come loose. Got mine from Lidl or Aldi, cant remember which.

Taking the poles apart to fit them hasn't been a problem for me as I strip my poles down and clean them fairly regularly anyway this time of year (at least once a week) due to the amount of grit we pick up round where we work when the ground is wet.

If you do use 'o' rings be prepared to replace the them from time to time as they do stretch and lose their grip fairly quickly and slide down the sections when they're open.
@Marko067 I don't use my wfp all the time but about once every few weeks or so I take the sections apart for a quick clean and spray with dry PTFE. Sometimes replace the little stripes of electric tape. I have the little Gardiner widget thing that lets you gently hold the clamp open a tiny bit to help remove the sections from one another. Yes I assume the o-rings will need replacing occasionally but there's loads in the box ? (was the smallest one available from a UK seller rather than waiting ages for them to come from abroad). I try not to let the sections bang together but occasionally I might be standing at an angle or up a side alley of a house and they can slip down quite quickly. Doesn't hurt to put them on anyway ?

This is how I got on Oct 2020. Still going strong and added life to my SLX-27 from 2017 ? you can see how much clamp 2 section had worn by how much the lever was sticking out.

I've since added Gardiner shims, levers, springs and bolts to the phantom clamp body (with TPU insert) to make the operation smoother.

You may need to file down the edges of clamp body so they close properly. Trial and error will show you how much plastic to shave off to close up the gap properly ?
You'll probably need to trim the tpu insert by a few mil either side and file down the edge of the clamp as shown depending on how much wear is on the pole section.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231118-145224~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20231118-145224~2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 9
Tried that came loose maybe I need to saw more off

Latest Posts

Back